New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

Book Signing Questions
1) Are the book signings eligible for the Talent Pass?
2) Are you required to purchase the book at the Expo for all of the signings?
3) If so, how does that work if the book has not been released yet? For instance, I have the Marc Davis book pre-ordered through Amazon. It's not supposed to be released until after the Expo. How do they sign it then, or will they actually sell them earlier at the Expo?

Thanks

Book Signing Questions
1) Are the book signings eligible for the Talent Pass?
2) Are you required to purchase the book at the Expo for all of the signings?
3) If so, how does that work if the book has not been released yet? For instance, I have the Marc Davis book pre-ordered through Amazon. It's not supposed to be released until after the Expo. How do they sign it then, or will they actually sell them earlier at the Expo?

Thanks
1-in reading about the Talent passes, I would guess so but am not sure as this is the first Expo where they have had the pre-Booking online. It does not say “all” signings & appearances, but in past Expos they have cut the signing lines at some point as I’ve missed ones I wanted to get because of that. We will have to wait & see which Talent things are offered for booking online. Note however the signings at the Disney Worldwide Publishing booth in Hall B do not seem to be a part of the passes as the update specifically says tickets will be distributed & is limited to 50 people

2-the ThIngs to Know always say no personal items and things must be purchased at Expo or use an Expo provided autograph card, and they can ask to see your purchase receipt. That being said, I’ve never been asked to show a receipt. For books not yet released, obviously the purchase has to be made there. But for books already released, ie the Travels with Walt or the Ink & Paint, I suppose one could bring one in from outside purchase but would have to take the chance they would not ask to see the purchase receipt. It is hard to think about paying full price at Expo when Amazon sells at a discount. You have to decide if the signing is worth paying full price.

3-They will actually have early release copies of some books at the Expo for those on the signing schedule, for purchase there. Often those books will be available on Day 1 even if the signing is not until day 3. You’d have to go to the respective booth to see if the books are out early or not until day of. If early, and it’s one you really want, I’d suggest buying on Day 1 and then bringing it back on signing day. A couple of Expos back, I waited until day of signing to get a Marty Sklar book and then found the book was sold out so I missed the signing. Last Expo I bought a book Friday for a Sunday signing as I did not want to miss out, and I could have waited as there were plenty of copies available on Sunday. That is really hard to predict.

So, for the Marc Davis book, they will have copies there somewhere for sale for the signing. I would hope it is one where you can book a pass for the signing ahead of time. The authors are on a panel from 12-1 and the signing is just after from 1:30-2:30. Past expos, I’ve had it where I’ve gone to the panel, and then headed to the book signing immediately after or even left the panel 5 min early to head to the signing, only to find the signing line already full and cut off with people who went to the signing line early instead of the panel. Not good at all, and I’ve given feedback on their post Expo surveys each time about that being a bad experience and they need to find a way for people to attend the panel and be able to get something signed after. Maybe the Talent passes is a way to help with that. Last Expo I skipped out on a panel in order to ensure I’d get my book signed, & did not like that I had to miss the panel.

Another signing tip is to walk the Expo floor and check for signings at other vendor booths. The official Disney booth line for Marty Sklar was huge last Expo; I walked by the Ryman Arts booth later on another day and Marty was sitting there chatting with one person and no one else was waiting in line to see him. Some of the vendor booths will charge for the signature or will want you to buy there but others will not, so you would need to ask or read their signing info Posted at the booth. There will be a lot of signing opportunities at vendor booths that will not make it to the D23 published info as those are not official Disney signings, and the only way to find them is to walk the show floor.

1-in reading about the Talent passes, I would guess so but am not sure as this is the first Expo where they have had the pre-Booking online. It does not say “all” signings & appearances, but in past Expos they have cut the signing lines at some point as I’ve missed ones I wanted to get because of that. We will have to wait & see which Talent things are offered for booking online. Note however the signings at the Disney Worldwide Publishing booth in Hall B do not seem to be a part of the passes as the update specifically says tickets will be distributed & is limited to 50 people

2-the ThIngs to Know always say no personal items and things must be purchased at Expo or use an Expo provided autograph card, and they can ask to see your purchase receipt. That being said, I’ve never been asked to show a receipt. For books not yet released, obviously the purchase has to be made there. But for books already released, ie the Travels with Walt or the Ink & Paint, I suppose one could bring one in from outside purchase but would have to take the chance they would not ask to see the purchase receipt. It is hard to think about paying full price at Expo when Amazon sells at a discount. You have to decide if the signing is worth paying full price.

3-They will actually have early release copies of some books at the Expo for those on the signing schedule, for purchase there. Often those books will be available on Day 1 even if the signing is not until day 3. You’d have to go to the respective booth to see if the books are out early or not until day of. If early, and it’s one you really want, I’d suggest buying on Day 1 and then bringing it back on signing day. A couple of Expos back, I waited until day of signing to get a Marty Sklar book and then found the book was sold out so I missed the signing. Last Expo I bought a book Friday for a Sunday signing as I did not want to miss out, and I could have waited as there were plenty of copies available on Sunday. That is really hard to predict.

So, for the Marc Davis book, they will have copies there somewhere for sale for the signing. I would hope it is one where you can book a pass for the signing ahead of time. The authors are on a panel from 12-1 and the signing is just after from 1:30-2:30. Past expos, I’ve had it where I’ve gone to the panel, and then headed to the book signing immediately after or even left the panel 5 min early to head to the signing, only to find the signing line already full and cut off with people who went to the signing line early instead of the panel. Not good at all, and I’ve given feedback on their post Expo surveys each time about that being a bad experience and they need to find a way for people to attend the panel and be able to get something signed after. Maybe the Talent passes is a way to help with that. Last Expo I skipped out on a panel in order to ensure I’d get my book signed, & did not like that I had to miss the panel.

Another signing tip is to walk the Expo floor and check for signings at other vendor booths. The official Disney booth line for Marty Sklar was huge last Expo; I walked by the Ryman Arts booth later on another day and Marty was sitting there chatting with one person and no one else was waiting in line to see him. Some of the vendor booths will charge for the signature or will want you to buy there but others will not, so you would need to ask or read their signing info Posted at the booth. There will be a lot of signing opportunities at vendor booths that will not make it to the D23 published info as those are not official Disney signings, and the only way to find them is to walk the show floor.

Awesome! That's the info I was looking for. I am thinking of keeping my Amazon pre-order for the Marc Davis book and cancel at the Expo if I buy it there. I would like to see the panel and get it signed, but if I had to choose, I would choose the panel. I wonder how heavy that Marc Davis book will be. I think it's 2 volumes. Is there a place to drop off items for pick up later, like at the parks?

I have some books from Jeff Kurtti that I previously purchased that I wanted to get signed; one of them is a book they are selling at the Expo. I also plan on buying the Xmas book. Maybe buying the one would allow me to get another, given to me as a gift from my husband for xmas, would allow me to get them both signed. We'll see I guess.

@OhioStateBuckeye had the same experience with Marty Sklar last Expo, so I will definitely keep an eye out. Thanks so much for all of the info!

One other book signing tip - in past Expos, Disneyland annual pass holders can use their pass for the AP discount at the Disney Dream Store. Not all books are available there but some will be, so worth checking if you have AP. I’ve not been able to get AP discount at the Disney publishing booth. The discount is not as much as Amazon but does help.

One other book signing tip - in past Expos, Disneyland annual pass holders can use their pass for the AP discount at the Disney Dream Store. Not all books are available there but some will be, so worth checking if you have AP. I’ve not been able to get AP discount at the Disney publishing booth. The discount is not as much as Amazon but does help.

Unfortunately, I am not a DLR AP holder. I just don't make it out there enough for that. I actually let my WDW AP lapse, since I won't be back there until next summer.

Awesome! That's the info I was looking for. I am thinking of keeping my Amazon pre-order for the Marc Davis book and cancel at the Expo if I buy it there. I would like to see the panel and get it signed, but if I had to choose, I would choose the panel. I wonder how heavy that Marc Davis book will be. I think it's 2 volumes. Is there a place to drop off items for pick up later, like at the parks?

I have some books from Jeff Kurtti that I previously purchased that I wanted to get signed; one of them is a book they are selling at the Expo. I also plan on buying the Xmas book. Maybe buying the one would allow me to get another, given to me as a gift from my husband for xmas, would allow me to get them both signed. We'll see I guess.

@OhioStateBuckeye had the same experience with Marty Sklar last Expo, so I will definitely keep an eye out. Thanks so much for all of the info!
There is package drop off available for $5 per bag. This is why I bring along the rolling suitcase, so I can have a way to keep books and things with me rather than paying the package drop fee.

I may have been known to do the same thing - buy at Amazon with intent to return if I had to buy onsite and was asked for a proof of Expo purchase :smickey: I think you will be OK the Kurtti books as he is signing in a couple of places on different days,

You got me curious so looked on Amazon - the Marc Davis set shows as 10.5 lbs...

Probably worth the $5 drop off in that case :rolleyes: Luckily, we are staying near the convention center. I might have to buy that at the end of the first day and then bring it back for the signing on the last day. Ugh! Or I could view it as an opportunity to strengthen my arm muscles:sad2:

Probably worth the $5 drop off in that case :rolleyes: Luckily, we are staying near the convention center. I might have to buy that at the end of the first day and then bring it back for the signing on the last day. Ugh! Or I could view it as an opportunity to strengthen my arm muscles:sad2:
Or you could follow the footsteps of @theluckyrabbit and get one of those fun small Disney rolling luggage cases at the American Tourister vbooth to carry it around with you at Expo ...

Or you could follow the footsteps of @theluckyrabbit and get one of those fun small Disney rolling luggage cases at the American Tourister vbooth to carry it around with you at Expo ...
Just a question on this: the Expo rules forbid anything towed behind -- much like the park rules. Does this include rolling backpacks and rolling carryons now? Because rolling bags are not allowed in the parks.

... By "water bottles" confiscated, do you mean refillable water bottles, like metal ones, or like plastic water bottles from a convenience/grocery store? Did they allow people to enter with refillable bottles last time that were already filled, or did they have to be empty? I saw something in the rules for this year about refillable containers needing to be empty. I don't trust the "rules" since they seem to be selectively enforced. I don't always like water fountain water, because it can have a bad taste and not be chilled...
Last Expo, the Sorcerers were given bottles of water, but they were reporting that the security staff was forcing them to throw the unopened bottles away at the checkpoints. Other people reported that they, too, were forced to throw away factory sealed bottles of water. We didn't experience this, although we were forced to throw away Starbucks drinks that had been allowed through a short time earlier. The rules are very selectively enforced, so I'm not sure what will happen this time around.

Just a question on this: the Expo rules forbid anything towed behind -- much like the park rules. Does this include rolling backpacks and rolling carryons now? Because rolling bags are not allowed in the parks.
I am thinking some smaller ones are OK based on this wordings in the list of prohibited items. (I added rhe bold). My roller,bag is smaller than this,

Suitcases, bags, coolers, or backpacks, with or without wheels, larger than 24 inches long x 15 inches wide x 18 inches high (61 cm x 38 cm x 46 cm) are not allowed.

I am thinking some smaller ones are OK based on this wordings in the list of prohibited items. (I added rhe bold). My roller,bag is smaller than this,

Suitcases, bags, coolers, or backpacks, with or without wheels, larger than 24 inches long x 15 inches wide x 18 inches high (61 cm x 38 cm x 46 cm) are not allowed.
I saw this, too, so we have decided to bring a rolling backpack the first day, leave it in the hotel room. then wait to see if anyone else gets turned away. If we see other bags on the show floor, then DH can run back later during a break to get our bag -- while I sneak away to buy my own Disney rolling carryon! Bwwaaahaahaa!

I saw this, too, so we have decided to bring a rolling backpack the first day, leave it in the hotel room. then wait to see if anyone else gets turned away. If we see other bags on the show floor, then DH can run back later during a break to get our bag -- while I sneak away to buy my own Disney rolling carryon! Bwwaaahaahaa!
I will let you know here how it goes with my bag as I intend to bring it on day one. I may also toss in a small tape measure in case of challenge, to show it is smaller than the prohibited dimensions.

I was also wondering how this might impact the American Touristor booth as they have sold luggage of various sizes. Maybe the 24” size is the biggest they will sell so peeps can still get one and wheel it around,,,??

Here we go everyone. The updated D23 Expo App is now live. I was able to download it by deleting last years app and redownloading it on IOS. Hopefully it will actually go live for everyone else who hasn’t had a previous years release of the app or on the play store later today. View attachment 422753

Not showing up in iOS app store yet for me, but I didn't have the app from a previous year. Maybe later today. Thanks for the heads up.

So they're finally starting to mail out tickets this week. Hopefully by the end of this week we will hear more information about reservations. I'd like to know about what panels we can and can't reserve.

I don't think there will be Stagepass for the morning panels in Hall D23. If they cut off the overnight queues in Hall E and refuse entry to people to Hall E, they can't risk having people with Stagepass being stuck outside waiting to get into the convention center at 9 when you're supposed to be in line for Hall D23 at 9...unless they allow people with Stagepass into Hall E even if the other queues are closed.

I had removed the Expo app from my phone after the last one. I went into my purchased apps and found it. It downloaded as the new one! I have looked through the schedule and can’t see the Shield panel. I’ll be really disappointed if that’s gone. We got to see the very first episode at a screening I believe at the 2015 Expo.

I don't think there will be Stagepass for the morning panels in Hall D23. If they cut off the overnight queues in Hall E and refuse entry to people to Hall E, they can't risk having people with Stagepass being stuck outside waiting to get into the convention center at 9 when you're supposed to be in line for Hall D23 at 9...unless they allow people with Stagepass into Hall E even if the other queues are closed.

According to the App, there will be Gold Member lines for Friday and Sunday, and StagePass+ for Friday (Legends) only. Of course, that could change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter