New D23 Expo Superthread! (6/24/2019)

So... my friend and I will both be going to the Expo and we both have the D23 Expo 2019 app downloaded on our smart phones. I am just wondering (for those who have done or are familiar with the badge activation process), should I activate both our badges on my device? Or should I have him do his own on his phone and app??

Then in terms of reservations... how will I be able to sync up our badges/accounts so we can be paired together in our reservations?? I’m just looking for the best way to activate and get the ball rolling...

SO here's a dumb Question - we're going through the Expo list of Friday and finding that there's really no panels we want to attend before the Disney+ presentation at 3:30 PM. Assuming we can get a "StagePass" for it, if we are not in any rush to get into the expo right at 9 AM, what would people recommend to show up for being able to get inside the expo by say 9:30- 10 AM. Can we show up at 8 AM and still get in within an hour of opening?

Second question which nobody may know the answer to: So let's say we get the reservation for the Parks and Resorts panel on Sunday. It says to report at least one hour before the panel, which would be 9:30 AM, which means you clearly need to get in the expo early. Would we have to get there at 7 AM just to get in to see the panel? That would be pretty annoying. Maybe we'll have a better idea of that after Friday and Saturday.

SO here's a dumb Question - we're going through the Expo list of Friday and finding that there's really no panels we want to attend before the Disney+ presentation at 3:30 PM. Assuming we can get a "StagePass" for it, if we are not in any rush to get into the expo right at 9 AM, what would people recommend to show up for being able to get inside the expo by say 9:30- 10 AM. Can we show up at 8 AM and still get in within an hour of opening?

Second question which nobody may know the answer to: So let's say we get the reservation for the Parks and Resorts panel on Sunday. It says to report at least one hour before the panel, which would be 9:30 AM, which means you clearly need to get in the expo early. Would we have to get there at 7 AM just to get in to see the panel? That would be pretty annoying. Maybe we'll have a better idea of that after Friday and Saturday.

This is a picture I took last Expo, on Saturday at 8:16a.m., from the second floor inside the convention center & looking out the windows towards the plaza in front of the convention center between the Hilton and the Marriott. The crowds on Friday were similar. With security it would likely take more than an hour to get all of those people inside.

C5DAF533-92CE-4F28-9AE1-2CBCE26D2F18.jpeg

Hey I just read on the official rules that they don't allow folding chairs. This is a bummer since I was going to buy one of those camping chairs this week. What is everyone bringing instead for those that are staying overnight or in my case going really early? I was thinking maybe a yoga mat and cut it up so it can fit inside my bookbag.

Also re getting in - they start bringing all of the overnight & early arrivals basement people up from the basement and snaking around the lobby around 8:15 or so to let them into the show floor starting around 9am. All of those people have to get in before they start letting more in from the outside,

Hey I just read on the official rules that they don't allow folding chairs. This is a bummer since I was going to buy one of those camping chairs this week. What is everyone bringing instead for those that are staying overnight or in my case going really early? I was thinking maybe a yoga mat and cut it up so it can fit inside my bookbag.

I saw that too. I wonder if the mean the bigger folding lawn chairs. I have one of those small chairs that folds up to less than a foot long and less than 6 inches in diameter. I was hoping to bring this. Ugh! I have an inflatable pillow that I could bring to sit on the floor :(

I saw that too. I wonder if the mean the bigger folding lawn chairs. I have one of those small chairs that folds up to less than a foot long and less than 6 inches in diameter. I was hoping to bring this. Ugh! I have an inflatable pillow that I could bring to sit on the floor :(
I’m the same as @soniam and I plan to bring my little REI chair unless someone posts here before i leave that they could not bring theirs in.

I am following the clause that says don’t bring anything that does not fit in a small bag or backpack, and mine easily fits. Last Expo there were people towards the front of the line with huge inflatable chairs and mats, that they’d deflate when the line starts moving.

I think this no folding chairs comes from 2015, first Expo with the basement lines, where a lot of people brought the large folding lawn chairs and then left them in the basement rather than carry them all day. Disney had a lot of chairs to pick up and toss after the basement cleared out.

I’m the same as @soniam and I plan to bring my little REI chair unless someone posts here before i leave that they could not bring theirs in.

I am following the clause that says don’t bring anything that does not fit in a small bag or backpack, and mine easily fits. Last Expo there were people towards the front of the line with huge inflatable chairs and mats, that they’d deflate when the line starts moving.

I think this no folding chairs comes from 2015, first Expo with the basement lines, where a lot of people brought the large folding lawn chairs and then left them in the basement rather than carry them all day. Disney had a lot of chairs to pick up and toss after the basement cleared out.

Did the 2017 rules previously say no folding chairs?

Did the 2017 rules previously say no folding chairs?
I’ve looked thru the book from 2017 & the list of prohibited items is not included. It does have the same reference about not bringing things that won’t fit in a bag or backpack in the show floor and queues section. I can’t recall if folding chairs were called out on the website,

I don’t really consider our camping chairs as folding chairs. They are more collapsible than folding.

BTW, for those visiting Disneyland after the expo, reservations have opened up for the Tomorrowland Skyline Lounge Experience to watch the fireworks. For some reason it has been unavailable until now for the week following the Expo.

I just read Disneyland Daily’s review of the Tomorrowland Skyline Lounge Experience. She says it’s nice, but you cannot see the castle projections. Since I haven’t seen the fireworks before, I’d like the whole experience. Maybe next time for the Lounge Experience.

I remember in 2017 a D23 cast member walked the unofficial line on Thursday telling people that they would not be able to bring chairs in, so I put mine away but as we were getting closer to the building I saw plenty of people bringing their chairs in so I quickly ran and grabbed mine again. It all just depends on what security ends up enforcing, the D23 organizers can say one thing but the Anaheim Convention Center employees can do another.

And I also seem to remember there being a written rule against chairs last year at least hidden somewhere in the app.

Am I missing something, or do we not have all of the fan-type vendors like we used to have? Different blogs, travel sites, and pin sellers used to have a section.
I know some regular vendors won't be there, like MousePlanet. I thought I missed one or two other familiar names, too.

I just read Disneyland Daily’s review of the Tomorrowland Skyline Lounge Experience. She says it’s nice, but you cannot see the castle projections. Since I haven’t seen the fireworks before, I’d like the whole experience. Maybe next time for the Lounge Experience.
If you are planning on doing the Skyline Lounge specifically for the fireworks view, don't. The view is mediocre to poor (it is over the TL side of the Matterhorn -- no view of the castle at all, no view of Main Street, no view of anyone/thing flying, no view of projections). If the fireworks get cancelled -- which is a not rare occurrence at DL -- you won't get a refund. You can get a very similar view of the fireworks from that angle for free from the tables at Galactic Grill on the side by Nemo -- you'll just be on the ground level. If fireworks are a priority for you, make the time to wait for a decent spot on Main Street, at the Hub, in front of the castle, or by IASW. I have yet to read a really good review of the Skyline Lounge on this board.

Honestly, I slept on my thick workout mat last year (a little cushier than a yoga mat), and I was fine. We were able to put things away before they moved us upstairs, so that helped. But I feel like it's a crapshoot every year depending on who you get for security and how lax they are with overnighters. Because there were a TON of chairs, and those jellybean-like bag things.

We also know The DIS won't be there. Members of the team will be there to cover the expo, but they won't have a booth.

Last edited:
Re: Chairs
Per one of my Facebook groups, there is some confusion internally with D23 about the chairs. They didn't take into account the overnight situation, so there may (probably, possibly) be an update regarding chairs later. Stay tuned! ;)

I've been tracking informed delivery like a HAWK. Weird delivery popped up from PSI in Michigan, due to arrive on the 14th. Funnily enough, PSI from NH arrived today, per USPS. My mom (I send all important mail to my parents, instead of to my place) opened it, since the mail from said ZG collective and I was so freaking confused. All that to say, badge acquired!

Did anyone else notice the rules said no remote control things? I wonder if droids from SWGE will be allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter