New "digital key" on App...why?

Am I missing something here? My magic band already unlocks the door to my room. Why would I want to get out my phone and open the App just to open the door?
I'm grateful for this. I dislike having the band around my wrist so I keep it in my pocket. I don't know why you would want to get your phone out and open the App to open the door but I'm glad this option is available. I'm looking forward to giving it a try on my upcoming trip.

I understand why some don't want it. Isn't it wonderful that Disney is giving us options?

Am I missing something here? My magic band already unlocks the door to my room. Why would I want to get out my phone and open the App just to open the door?

The most wonderful part of the MagicBand is to not be moving all our stuff around or digging out to get something to open the door. And even the old room key card was just a tap, not opening my phone and going through all this.

All I can figure out is that other hotel brands are offering this (and I don't use theirs either) so they included it in their tech package.

I'm the complete opposite. I wear my band, so I'm very unlikely to walk out without it. I don't wear my phone. I'm very likely to walk out without it.

I agree with all of these, I wondered why it would be useful and really don't think it will be at all useful to me, just a novelty, but good for those who like it. No skin off my back, I just won't use it I guess. I haven't stayed since it was an option at a resort I was in, so I'll find out, but I just don't see it being anything other than something to possibly try once. My MB is always on my wrist, and that's easily accessible. Heck, I'm annoyed when I have to dig around for my ID and AP card to get the discount, I don't want to dig for things when I don't have to :-)

As someone that has trouble wearing things on a watch, I love this feature. Before they came out with the keepers, I did forgot my MB in the room once, luckily my cousin had hers.

Even now with the keepers, since I wear mine as a pendant, I could easily forget it if I had it pinned to a jacket and decided to leave the jacket in the room, which almost happened in January.

For one simple reason, to give guests another option if they lost their MB or it didn't work on the door.

I had said viable option. It's not mandatory. Visitors are not required or commanded to use the digital key.
Excellent - because I want NOTHING to do with this. Nor do I want an "opt out" - I insist on an "opt in".

Why?

Because I expect a Cell Phone HACK, followed by "we're sorry". Nope, nope, nope... 27 years in IT Security? I know what's coming.
And I really do not want to carry a Power screwdriver and 3" deck screws with me, on each vacation.

Just us - BANDS ONLY. No other devices. All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Excellent - because I want NOTHING to do with this. Nor do I want an "opt out" - I insist on an "opt in".

Why?

Because I expect a Cell Phone HACK, followed by "we're sorry". Nope, nope, nope... 27 years in IT Security? I know what's coming.
And I really do not want to carry a Power screwdriver and 3" deck screws with me, on each vacation.

Just us - BANDS ONLY. No other devices. All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.
If you read the information, it is an “ opt in”, as you insist

Why is Disney doing this? Your phone has much better "tech" than a magic band. I always think of Magic Bands being introduced way too late on the time line in this age of cell phones.
Thinking about it from Disney's perspective, they should really ditch the magic bands and transfer all features into a phone app ASAP.

You provide the phone. This means Disney doesn't have to provide a magic band. = More money for Disney.

With the introduction of MDE and "In the park" games on your phone, these phone applications provide Disney with even more people who will be looking at advertising or behavioral prompts FROM DISNEY while on their phones.

For example: Maybe your GPS says you have been sitting in one spot (say waiting for a parade). Oh look, here's an ad for 10% off an item from the Emporium. At 2:45pm you might see an ad prompt for hot dogs from Casey's. This is the future. Remember, the Disney company's most important mission these days is to make the maximum amount of money so the stock price stays high. That's where the entire focus of the company is now. The ability to provide behavioral prompts through ads appearing on your phone is a lucrative source of revenue.

Your phone has the ability to provide advertisers with information about you like where you are physically located (GPS), what you are searching for in a web browser, the pages you frequent on the web, etc, etc... This information is GOLD to advertisers needing information for targeted ads.

Magic bands were dead on arrival when compared to the power of a phone.

Disney is introducing more and more reasons for your eyes to be on a phone. If, and this is a BIG IF, Disney can ever get their act together with MDE and other phone apps they can mine your phone for valuable information about your habits and provide prompts that will assist you in spending money on anything Disney.

That's why Disney is providing a function on your phone that will open your resort room. More is coming, much, much, more....

~NM

Last edited:
I walked out one day with phone in pocket but forgot to put my band back on. This would have been a helpful feature had I known about it. Had to go to the front desk.

I expect Disney is planning to start charging resort guests for magic bands and is setting up the infrastructure for guests to have alternatives.

Y'all realize Disney is NOT the only hotel chain to use electronic keys, right?

Why?

Why is Disney doing this? Your phone has much better "tech" than a magic band. I always think of Magic Bands being introduced way too late on the time line in this age of cell phones.
Thinking about it from Disney's perspective, they should really ditch the magic bands and transfer all features into a phone app ASAP.

You provide the phone. This means Disney doesn't have to provide a magic band. = More money for Disney.

With the introduction of MDE and "In the park" games on your phone, these phone applications provide Disney with even more people who will be looking at advertising or behavioral prompts FROM DISNEY while on their phones.

For example: Maybe your GPS says you have been sitting in one spot (say waiting for a parade). Oh look, here's an ad for 10% off an item from the Emporium. At 2:45pm you might see an ad prompt for hot dogs from Casey's. This is the future. Remember, the Disney company of TODAY's most important mission is to make the maximum amount of money so the stock price stays high. That's where the entire focus of the company is now. The ability to provide behavioral prompts through ads appearing on your phone is a lucrative source of revenue.

Your phone has the ability to provide advertisers with information about you like where you are physically located (GPS), what you are searching for in a web browser, the pages you frequent on the web, etc, etc... This information is GOLD to advertisers needing information for targeted ads.

Magic bands were dead on arrival when compared to the power of a phone.

Disney is introducing more and more reasons for your eyes to be on a phone. If, and this is a BIG IF, Disney can ever get their act together with MDE and other phone apps they can mine your phone for valuable information about your habits and provide prompts that will assist you in spending money on anything Disney.

That's why Disney is providing a function on your phone that will open your resort room. More is coming, much, much, more....

~NM

Disney's goal was a MB on every arm, this is actually counter productive to that. I think it's nothing more than many brands in the industry have this, Disney has the technology already in place to use it, it was an easy adjustment to software .... and be able to say "look what we have too" ... and now they can follow you everywhere you go.
I don't think it is counter productive. This is for the people who don't want to have a MB on their arm. There are several people who don't.

I'm the complete opposite. I wear my band, so I'm very unlikely to walk out without it. I don't wear my phone. I'm very likely to walk out without it.
I took my MB off when we got inside the room because while it wasn't a hardship to wear it under the band got sweaty and after a while I just wanted air to circulate on the area. We put ours by the TV and then would put it on right before walking out the door for the day. There was a time that I forgot mine in the morning as we were leaving and luckily my husband was right there with his on so we could easily open the door for me to retrieve it. My phone on the other hand is always with me when I leave something. I programmed myself to check multiple times for it lol. Either my phone was in my hand or it was in my park bag and I would check several times before leaving. The MB was a new thing to wear for me and I had to actively remember to grab it.

Yes. Yes I do. I was talking about why using your phone to unlock doors, access company sponsored apps and play company sponsored games on your phone is financially lucrative.

The question was asked "Why is Disney doing this?". This is part of the reason. You could also say that for all the other hotels that are doing it. Money, both in savings from not having to provide a room key card, less front desk personnel needed and advertising revenue generated are many of the reasons why hotels are moving to the phone room access model.

~NM

Last edited:
It tells you your room number in the app in case you forget. I think that's pretty useful.
I don't get it. I take a picture of my room number in case i forget or i have my room ready text to refer to.

I don't really get the app that can unlock the door. When i am back at the resort carrying a sleeping 5 year old the last thing i want to do is have to put her down to get my phone out. It doesn't really add any element of convenience. Plus if my phone is dead upon returning to the room - what good is the app?

I get that people love their cell phones but WDW should be a place where we can disconnect from that and they are just doing more things to keep us on our phones with the MDE app and now this.

I guess there will be a small percentage of people who will find a use for it. Just seems like a waste of money to update the locks to accommodate this technology.

It tells you your room number in the app in case you forget. I think that's pretty useful.

In the end, it's just another option. I think people are more likely to forget their magic band in their room than their phone, so if they don't bring the band when they go out to get breakfast or fill the resort cup they're not locked out of their room. They still have the key cards for guests that don't want the bands or smartphone app.

We did just that. Went out for a nice dinner, didn't think about the band since we weren't going to the parks. Had to get a replacement band from the front desk.

Yup, I haven't had a chance to use the Disney app for this yet but have used the marriot app. I like that I don't need to call for towels or anything. I just used the app and made requests for extra towels and toiletries and all was there when we checked in.

I am lazy. Would never pull out the phone to do this while my wrist was still connected to my elbow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter