new DIS means I have to disable my Norton Antivirus to see everything?

beattyfamily

DIS Cast Member
I love the new look of the DIS but I kept wondering where the buttons at the top were: Search, User CP etc...and then it dawned on me...maybe it's because I have Norton Antivirus and I have "Block pop ups" on.

Well, low and behold, when I shut off "Block pop ups" I can now see the buttons at the top of the screen.

I'm kind of bummed about this. I hope it's temporary.

Anyone else notice this?

That solves my problem!!! I had the same problem with the red x's last week and the firewall.

Dan, I tried what you suggested on the CB board, I went into the safety icon and put in to allow pop-ups on disboards, but that didn't work. I then came here to see if there were any other suggestions, I don't want to completely disable my norton antivirus to get them to work.

I am having the same problem. People were telling me where to find User CP and I just couldn't see it. Then, after I came here, I disabled Norton Antivirus and there it was. I can't leave it disabled though.

Go into your firewall. Double click on ad-blocking. Then uncheck the banner ads but leave the pop-ups checked. This will solve the problems but still keep out pop-ups.

Originally posted by damo
Go into your firewall. Double click on ad-blocking. Then uncheck the banner ads but leave the pop-ups checked. This will solve the problems but still keep out pop-ups.

Go into which firewall? Internet Explorer or Norton Antivirus?

The setting you need to change is in your Norton software. You need to disable the banner ad blocking.

I have Norton anti virus and I can see everything.

Don't ask me what my settings are because my son set it up and I wouldn't know where to look or what information to look for:(

One thing I am almost sure of is that I don't have a firewall.

I guss I am posting to say that it is possible to use Norton for an antivirus software and still DIS:bounce:

Ed

Originally posted by KathyTX
The setting you need to change is in your Norton software. You need to disable the banner ad blocking.

THANK YOU!!!! I finally got it! I didn't realize that in Norton banner ads and pop-ups were two separate things and I finally saw the two boxes that I can check or uncheck for banner ads and pop ups!!

I feel like such an idiot! I kept going into 'Configure" and then "Advance" and couldn't figure it out.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by betterlatethannever
....One thing I am almost sure of is that I don't have a firewall....
You should have one if you want to be safe with your computer. Without one, you have your front and back doors both open and a sign saying they are open. Play safe, just and fyi.

Originally posted by Dan Murphy
You should have one if you want to be safe with your computer. Without one, you have your front and back doors both open and a sign saying they are open. Play safe, just and fyi.

OK, here is where I show more of my ignorance (if I haven't shown enough already)

I have dialup connection. I was under the impression (aka assumed) that I didn't need a firewall.

I guess I'm assuming wrong.

Ed

I'm a financial planner, not a tech person, Ed, but I am of the understanding that a firewall is still of a useful nature on a dialup to help prevent unwanted info from exiting your PC, not so much from intrusion into your PC. If wrong, I know one or mre of the geeks here will straighten me out, LOL. Also, if you have IE and XP, the new Windows SP2 would probably suffice as a bare bones, basic firewall, okay for a dialup.

I myself, on cable, use a hardware router/firewall, as well as a software, Zone Alarm, firewall.

Hope that hepls a bit, Ed.

Dan

I really don't want to disable banner ads either if that is possible. Cruise critic has banner ads for stuff like the transderm patch, and it takes up half the screen. Banner ads are typically for advertising that is paid by some company to the board for advertising its product. I like that my home computer screens that stuff out and I don't have to scroll a page down before I can actually get to the board. Please tell me this isn't the only way I'll be able to see my usercp again!:mad: :(

vossjemi,

Why don't you leave your Ad Blocker on, but put disboards in as an excluded site? That would seem to solve your problem.

(Really, the problem is that Norton cannot define "banner ad". Norton is just looking for any button or graphic of a certain size or containing certain words and blocking it. Watch for banner ads to get smarter about getting around this filter, as well as watching for legitimate sites that don't display correctly because the Ad Blocker is changing their content for you...)

If I put the dis as an excluded site, then won't i get pop ups too when on dis? I hate to even mess with what is already set up on my norton. I'd prefer to leave it as it is. I'm just hoping the Dis will fix this problem so I don't have to. I had the red x problem not too long ago, and Dis fixed that. I didn't have to change a thing on my norton. I'm still hopeful since this was a recent change.

vossjemi, I am hoping for the same thing, I really don't want to change any of the settings that I have.

I would not think you would have to disable your Net protection to make it work. They are just tabs to links. The banner thing with the ads is above that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter