• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Disney Cruise Ships

LadyMac428

Disney Dreamin'
Has anyone been able to find any webcams or links to watch the new ships being built? I watched the Dream and Fantasy but haven't found anything for the new ships.

My guess is you probably saw a video that showed the construction compressed into a watchable event. I don't recall any webcams but I could be mistaken. I assume the new ships will be built at the same shipyard Dream and Fantasy were (Meyer Werft) which is indoors. It is much easier to build them in a controlled environment than having to deal with the weather - and much easier to maintain security on Disney "magic" during construction.

My guess is you probably saw a video that showed the construction compressed into a watchable event. I don't recall any webcams but I could be mistaken. I assume the new ships will be built at the same shipyard Dream and Fantasy were (Meyer Werft) which is indoors. It is much easier to build them in a controlled environment than having to deal with the weather - and much easier to maintain security on Disney "magic" during construction.

Meyer werft has a web cam of the ships being built.

Their webcams currently show Royal’s Spectrum of the Seas and the AIDA Nova under construction

I'm not sure they've even started yet...
They haven't. There is traditionally a steel cutting ceremony when construction begins. That would be the kind of thing that would end up making the news here and at the DCLBlog. The first ship is expected to enter service in 2021 and it typically takes about 2 years so I wouldn't expect construction to begin until next year.

Thanks everyone! I had no idea about the steel cutting ceremony. That will be neat. I’m looking forward to watching the building process. I recall checking the webcams last time.

I watched a show recently documenting the construction of a cruise ship (want to say it was NCL Escape, but not sure). Pretty interesting stuff.

I got off the Wonder Sunday and was told it’s bad luck to speak the name of the ship before she is built. The 3 ships are referenced by their hull name currently but names are selected but not shared with the public.

Does anyone know if other ships have this policy/custom?

Yes, from what I know about boat/ship building the new vessel is refereed to as a hull number until the official christening. The Dream and the Fantasy has the hull numbers on mirrors in the District/Europa areas.

I also found this - "Traditions dating to seafarer days centuries ago to bring good luck remain alive and well with coins for "divine protection," godmother blessings for new ships, no whistling in the wheelhouse and spilled rum for Neptune. And for good measure, step aboard the ship with your right foot first."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter