New Disney Ships: News, Rumors, Speculation.....and Names!

Triton would be a good name, but I agree with previous posters that it might just be a project name and not the actual ship name. Can't wait to find out the official name of the first ship though!
:thumbsup2

Triton would be a good name, but I agree with previous posters that it might just be a project name and not the actual ship name. Can't wait to find out the official name of the first ship though!
:thumbsup2
I can’t wait to see the layout and what new exciting things DCL has in store for us. Not to mention, I’d really love some kind of announcement that one ship will be on the west coast year round!!

If that is accurate, based on how things went with the Dream and Fantasy the earliest we will see the first new ship in service would be around fall of 2021.
Might be sooner like August. Figuring 18 months to build would put it about May of 21, then 2-3 months for crossing, test runs etc, That would put it in the Summer time frame. Come to think of it, I need to check on some other lng ships and where the are. Afaik, no port in Fl has lng capabilities. Possibly Jax, but I think a few other lines have ships coming to Fl and there lng.

ETA:
Upon further review, something is not right. Carnivals Mardi Gras is coming to PC in Sept of 20. PC has already said they'll be ready for LNG by 2020. So, Im not real sure what they mean by plan in place when they did the tour. Need to do some digging.

Last edited:

It was interesting to me to read in Scott's blog post:
"During today’s Port Canaveral Commission Meeting, Captain John Murray, the port’s CEO revealed steel cutting for the first of Disney Cruise Line’s three new LNG-powered ships at Meyer Werft was scheduled to begin in November." but then also said, "...........The Disney ship is yet to start construction. It was supposed to start steel cutting in November of this year, but they were doing a last oversee with the supplier, the (LNG) barge operator, Disney staff, and Barry (from Port Canaveral) just to make sure there is a plan in place before they start construction."

The second comment sounds like maybe steel -cutting WON'T begin in November???

It says price $900 million. Do you think that’s the total price or the money Disney pays the builder? Then Disney puts their own touches on it, which would cost more.

Does anyone notice that in the schematic on Scott’s blog it shows the new ship bunkering out of CT10 which is shared with RCCL.

I wonder if RCCL’s project icon ships are going to PC as well and sharing CT10 with Disney. I wonder why they wouldn’t do bunkering at CT8 (DCL’s flagship terminal)

Also the good news is it shows Dual platform embark/debark which I think Disney needs badly.

Attachments

• 16ED6F9B-AC1F-4DE6-8A2D-C8A409C03643.png
    16ED6F9B-AC1F-4DE6-8A2D-C8A409C03643.png
    228.3 KB · Views: 22
It says price $900 million. Do you think that’s the total price or the money Disney pays the builder? Then Disney puts their own touches on it, which would cost more.
I think it is Total to the builder. The builder will handle the ship construction and outfitting. Typically now, once she can float and move under her own power, they sail from the construction facility to I think either Bremerhaven or Hosum for the final interior work. This is because the shipyard is just so busy now they can't do it all there and need the space.

Not a lot of incentive for Disney to do the work themselves when so many reputable companies will do it for them with years of experience.

I was thinking Sept but my math may have been off a little bit. I'm sure DCL would love for it to be ready for summer cause $$$$$$$.

It all depends. If I remember correctly the Dream class both were floated out in Oct, and signed over in December of that year to Disney, after there initial tests and acceptance trials. The Dream and Fantasy did several weeks of ta trips to the Bahamas before taking over there respective routes in Feb and March of their respective years. The one thing that has me puzzled, and this is assuming that A the port is correct, and B a 18 month build time, is that the first ship would be here so late in the year. Assuming a Sept inaugural puts the ship coming into the slower season, as opposed to Feb and March which is the tradition where they work up to the busy season. I'm guessing well here more during D23.

how ever if they were smart enough they would have one ceo for theme parks and one for the cruise lines, which would mean with the amount of money they bring in from there excessive priced cruises they should be able to be nearing 14 ships by now

how ever if they were smart enough they would have one ceo for theme parks and one for the cruise lines, which would mean with the amount of money they bring in from there excessive priced cruises they should be able to be nearing 14 ships by now

Not sure if a dedicated CEO would help. Disney is or at least was all about cutting out the layers to get things done. I will agree that DCL should have more ships then this by now. They keep shooting themselves in the foot with a lack of ships.
Disney will take advantage of financial situations to get the best loan terms possible for the ships. (not sure how the land portion works out but I cant see it being too different) They don't spend 1 dime on them. They pay the ships off from the earnings from the sailings.The Dream and Fantasy from what I remember were both paid off early. (They were expected to pay off the loans in 5 years, but were payed off in less then 4. ) For example, DCL had planned to build 2 more ships in the summer of 01. Right after that tourism tanked, the economies dropped, so they shelved the project. It wasn't until 5 years later roughly that the financial conditions were right for DCL to start planning the Dream class. Except the Dream class was a conglomeration of the Magic class, the never built class, and some new. When the Fantasy debuted, from Bob Igers lips, during a qa, someone asked about more ships. Bob said no more new ships. Disney wanted to recoup some of the 10 billion or so that Disney had either spent or took out loans on, for the 2 Dream class ships, and a few other major acquisitions.
So assuming that 911 never happened, and everything else played out as happened (2 Magic class 2 intermediate class ships 2 Dream class) DCL would be working on ships 7-10. Possibly 8-11 if Disney took an option for a 3rd intermediate ship between the Magic class and the Dream class. Usually a line has options for more ships, which kind of puzzles me, that DCL never optioned a 3rd Dream class.

This is just me, but Disney needs someone that can look outside the lines. Think outside the box. Not necessarily a CEO but maybe a planning officer. Someone with the authority to got to the CEO and say were maxed out. Time for more ships. Someone that can say, we have 4 ships, 3 do the same itins. Maybe we should try sending the ships somewhere different when there all in the same state. We have 4 ships, 4 rest each for a total of 16, and only 6 are different. (excluding Palos and Remys) Maybe we should mix up the rest on each ship and each class. Tianas love it or hate it is a good start on the Wonder. Even the kids clubs are now becoming the same. There all quickly becoming Marvel and or Star Wars. Im not against either but other then itins, theres becoming no reason to sail from 1 ship to the next.

Oh and 1 more thing for the planning officer. It should be there sworn duty, that if any one ever mentions the words azipods in conjunction with the ships, new or otherwise, to throw that person out the nearest window. j/k.

Last edited:
Disney will take advantage of financial situations to get the best loan terms possible for the ships. (not sure how the land portion works out but I cant see it being too different) They don't spend 1 dime on them. They pay the ships off from the earnings from the sailings.The Dream and Fantasy from what I remember were both paid off early. (They were expected to pay off the loans in 5 years, but were payed off in less then 4. )
Interesting take. I'd quibble with some of your points, but they do make sense to the average reader.

Yes, Disney will do everything to get the best possible loan terms when they do any long term financing. Short term as well. Its just good business. Disney being such a large, well respected company can usually negotiate for better rates than other less qualified companies.

By spending a dime on their ships I believe you are referring to the up-front cost. Of course the ships aren't free. They are paid for from the proceeds of a long-term loan and then the loan itself is paid off by Disney. They spend many, many dimes on their ships. It just goes through a middle-man.

Yes, they pay off loans from the revenue on the sailings. That's the only way they get the money to make payments. The only reason to pay off a loan early is if Disney has better use of that money. Disney might be able to borrow at a lower rate than the loan carries. Or the other possible uses of those funds don't provide a return large enough, so the excess cash is used to buy-down the loan.

Please understand that these comments are from a recovering bean counter who just wants to be sure that the realities of the world of corporate finance are better understood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter