New DVC General Manager

But those things don't come from DVC...Even membership perks come from DVD...the developer. Yes, all divisions are under TWDC, but who decides things makes a difference. So, nothing that DVC owners have gained or lost was a result of who was in charge of DVC, like Teri.

But do you think the SVP of DVC has no influence on perks? Sure in that position you may not have the final say, but I'm certain they could make recommendations or would be part of that discussion.

Also - where can I find more information about DVC vs. DVD? I tried Google searching and looking for more information, but the best I could find is that DVC is the timeshare program itself and the villas are operated by DVD.

Do I work for Disney, nope. Do I know people that work for DVC, yep. As to saying what you suggested, that is nothing more than hand holding and while that might have been necessary for you, during the time they were closed having DVC send me some fluff was not needed.
At times like that, no company wants someone to say something they can't fulfill and honestly they were adjusting daily as did every major company.

It wasn't needed for me, I wasn't in a situation where I had expiring points thankfully. But I think a lot of members would have found it useful to communicate it out. They weren't promising anything by sending it out either, they could just say we're trying to figure things out and we're working as fast as we can to get everyone answers. A lot of other companies (Royal Caribbean is one example) communicated a lot. Personally you may not have needed answers, same with me since it didn't impact me - but we could have just as easily skipped over the emails or deleted them. Just my opinion, and I think we can agree to disagree on this matter :)

BTW- Promising to get members more information shouldn't be something she can't fulfill too. There isn't a promise in there for anything more than more information.

Ultimately they did the right thing for the members, but if she promised to get answers, those answers could have easily been - sorry but everyone is SOL and you're going to lose your points.

Do I work for Disney, nope. Do I know people that work for DVC, yep. As to saying what you suggested, that is nothing more than hand holding and while that might have been necessary for you, during the time they were closed having DVC send me some fluff was not needed.
At times like that, no company wants someone to say something they can't fulfill and honestly they were adjusting daily as did every major company.

Just to add, sending those would have gotten just as much flack from some who would have said something to the effect of it was fluff and we need real info.

There will always be people who are not happy no matter what they do. But I look forward to see how this new person does!

It wasn't needed for me, I wasn't in a situation where I had expiring points thankfully. But I think a lot of members would have found it useful to communicate it out. They weren't promising anything by sending it out either, they could just say we're trying to figure things out and we're working as fast as we can to get everyone answers. A lot of other companies (Royal Caribbean is one example) communicated a lot. Personally you may not have needed answers, same with me since it didn't impact me - but we could have just as easily skipped over the emails or deleted them. Just my opinion, and I think we can agree to disagree on this matter :)

BTW- Promising to get members more information shouldn't be something she can't fulfill too. There isn't a promise in there for anything more than more information.

Ultimately they did the right thing for the members, but if she promised to get answers, those answers could have easily been - sorry but everyone is SOL and you're going to lose your points.
Actually I went back searched through old emails and she sent one out on 3-16-20, 3-28-20, 4-24-20 and 5-27-20 and each one shared what she actually knew at that time. And each one showed she cared and updated members with changes and what policy would be.

My viewpoint on DVD vs DVC vs some other division is this: Who is responsible for the DVC member experience and satisfaction? If that was Teri, then that’s who is accountable, regardless of a bunch of corporate infrastructure details that are not mine to worry about - I don’t work there.

It matters in the sense that decisions for the product and perks is not DVCM. They manage the program as it is. So member satisfaction on using DVC definitely falls to the head of DVC.

Getting membership perks, discounts, resale restrictions, etc is a DVD. They decide what is sold.

So, while you can certainly share your thoughts with DVCM, they will not be the ones negotiating with DPEP for things like APs etc.

Just to add, sending those would have gotten just as much flack from some who would have said something to the effect of it was fluff and we need real info.

There will always be people who are not happy no matter what they do. But I look forward to see how this new person does!

You maybe right there - I'm sure more people would have been happy to see an email with no substance other than to say "we're looking at it" than angry people but nobody would accuse them of being radio silent either. :)

I used to work as an IT Technician for years, and they always told us if we couldn't fix the problem by the end of the day to still update the ticket so the person impacted would know the status and would know you're still working on it - even if it wasn't fixed, even if you had no idea what the problem was yet - so that is where my thinking is coming from. It was always over-communicate to help put customers at ease that you're actually doing something. I would think the same applies here, but I'm sure some will argue customer service works differently when you're an SVP or at Disney vs. an IT company.

Actually I went back searched through old emails and she sent one out on 3-16-20, 3-28-20, 4-24-20 and 5-27-20 and each one shared what she actually knew at that time. And each one showed she cared and updated members with changes and what policy would be.

You're right that is actually pretty good in terms of communication.

She really hasnt done much positive during her time so its not shocking she didnt handle that well either.

But do you think the SVP of DVC has no influence on perks? Sure in that position you may not have the final say, but I'm certain they could make recommendations or would be part of that discussion.

Also - where can I find more information about DVC vs. DVD? I tried Google searching and looking for more information, but the best I could find is that DVC is the timeshare program itself and the villas are operated by DVD.

I am sure there is information that is shared but the decisions are made by Disney Vacation Development to sell the product.

Anything that is ultimately decided goes through them, which is then negotiated via other divisions.

Things like the website and how MS runs, etc are in the column for DVCM. They are responsible for making sure all the terms of the program, as they exist work. So that is why they are in charge of the point charts. They manage things. They are in charge of the home resort rules and regulations.

Burwhen it comes to things like resale restrictions? Nope,..that’s the sales are and they have their own heads who decide.

Again, you email DVCM and they of course will listen and pass on concerns to who they need to. Just like Teri responded to many that they hoped APs would be back soon. However, she has no power or control of when it happened no matter how much she would have loved to be able to tell DVC owners they could get them.

She really hasnt done much positive during her time so its not shocking she didnt handle that well either.
How did she not handle it well? and how much do you really think she gets to decide? Working for Disney is a complicated job. But people need to realize that if you are getting a room with discount, you are getting what you paid for. I think many of you have unrealistic expectation about DVC as to what can actually be given to members, and the process it takes to get that.

How did she not handle it well? and how much do you really think she gets to decide? Working for Disney is a complicated job. But people need to realize that if you are getting a room with discount, you are getting what you paid for. I think many of you have unrealistic expectation about DVC as to what can actually be given to members, and the process it takes to get that.

Disney does market DVC as a premium experience though, the hotels are considered "Deluxe Villas", DVC itself it falls under Disney Signature Experiences and people are dropping thousands of dollars up front for DVC, so while over the course of 50 years of ownership or however long you own it does come out cheaper - I don't tend to think of it as a "value" experience.

What do you think a realistic expectation of DVC should be?

Should it be like resale members, just get the contractually points towards the room - and members should be happy with just that and nothing more? Membership Extras are also marketed right on the DVC website. I know what those extras are is not guaranteed, but I would expect to get something for buying direct.

How much does she get to decide? Most big decisions related to dvc. Shes not a figurehead.

Disney does market DVC as a premium experience though, the hotels are considered "Deluxe Villas", DVC itself it falls under Disney Signature Experiences and people are dropping thousands of dollars up front for DVC, so while over the course of 50 years of ownership or however long you own it does come out cheaper - I don't tend to think of it as a "value" experience.

What do you think a realistic expectation of DVC should be?

Should it be like resale members, just get the contractually points towards the room - and members should be happy with just that and nothing more? Membership Extras are also marketed right on the DVC website. I know what those extras are is not guaranteed, but I would expect to get something for buying direct.
To me a realistic expectation is exactly what I paid for, a deluxe accommodation with a discount. The problem is so many owners do not realize that they get way more perks now than most of us did when we bought in. I like the extras as much as anyone but never do I expect them or take them for granted.

To me a realistic expectation is exactly what I paid for, a deluxe accommodation with a discount. The problem is so many owners do not realize that they get way more perks now than most of us did when we bought in. I like the extras as much as anyone but never do I expect them or take them for granted.

I hear you, I think one of the bigger changes is that buying DVC resale is a lot easier or at least more well known now today with the Internet, social media etc and DVC has to compete with that to sell points directly. If direct points only provided the room, then there is not much of an incentive to buy direct vs. resale... of course resale restrictions will eventually be a bigger deal as they build new resorts, so maybe that will change things - although that definitely seems like a honey vs. vinegar situation.

I'll also say despite DVC not really having anything to do with the recent changes - the changes made by the parks division has left a pretty sour taste in a lot of people's mouths as they've not only increased prices but they've also removed a lot of perks for onsite guests. I think price hikes are normal and alone it doesn't really seem like a big deal - but the combination of the 2 has a lot of people, myself included unhappy. It isn't DVC's fault, but many people think about Disney overall as a company and not individual divisions.

Remember that aside from streaming, DVC was a rare group within Disney that had guaranteed income (annual dues) during Covid 2020. I expected Head of DVC mgt. to push back against higher ups' beancounting and reiterate that 1) it gets paid by owners to manage the properties, 2) properties has to stay open barring true force majeure (even if parks are closed), and 3) cannot cut services paid by dues without cutting dues or replaced with equivalent value. Did they do that well during 2020? Don't know, but it sure didn't look like it.

If I hire leadership people under me, I expect them to tell me when I miss seeing something, not to just defer to me and do as I say. The latter is the fastest way to run a ship aground. Hopefully the new head instills a culture that has people speaking up before things get wrecked, like the points chart fiasco.

Last edited:
Finance and Strategy is responsible for creating the point charts. I surmise from Diercksen's promotion that -

1. Despite rolling back two charts in three years, performance targets were met from cuts elsewhere.

2. Far from being punishable transgressions, the point chart manipulations did not interfere with the department director's career advancement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter