New Etiquette Question-Theatre Related

tinkerbellandpeterpan

DIS Veteran
DH and I have a 4 pack of tickets to see shows at a local theatre. The tickets aren't in the same spot for each play because we didn't buy the full 8 show season. There is one play at Christmas that my mom is joining us and her ticket is two seats over from ours. So I am assuming that a couple (friends, spouses, whatever) are sitting there in between us. We are all in the middle-ish so this isn't an aisle seat consideration. Is it rude to ask to trade one seat either way so my mom can sit with us for the play? If they did I would happily buy them drinks at intermission (soft or hard). And we would move best to accommodate them, as such we would sit behind the tall person. I don't want to be off putting and I would swap in this situation without a thought but I don't want to put someone on the spot if they really don't want to move. What do you think?

I think that nicely asking is fine (especially with the parameters you describe and can mention when asking). I'm sure that you wouldn't do it, but the only time I'd be annoyed is if you just took one of their seats before asking. Also, if they say "no" for whatever reason (maybe they have some superstition about seat numbers), accept the "no".

I don’t think I’d ask, but I’m guessing someone would probably offer to switch if they saw that MIL was several seats away, maybe. If not, we’d just enjoy the show. I’d probably take that lone seat myself (and enjoy the peace it offers, lol).

I'd put my husband in my mom's seat and have her sit next to me, personally.

There is no harm in asking, and lead the question with an offer of compensation of some sort (drink or snack at intermission is appropriate), and make sure you qualify it with "I understand if the answer is no."

We were in a situation like this once and it WAS an aisle seat that we had VERY carefully chosen, and we really were not willing to move, until we found out that we were sitting in Tony Bennet and his wife's assigned seats. The theater had added 2 more seats to the row and sold them to the public, and we bought them sort of last minute. As soon as they fessed up and told us who was supposed to sit there, we moved with no hesitation. I was not going to deny a 90 year old legend an aisle seat. They should have just opened with that information.

Similar to you all, except I would be the husband and wouldn't need my wife to place me in the other seat (if the others wouldn't switch if asked). I would already have changed with mother-in-law and let wife and MIL sit next to each other.

I would ask the other party politely though.

I’d ask, but coming out of the gate with, “I know this could be an imposition and I understand completely if you don’t want to” vibe.

The only time I am put off by simple requests like this is when the person asking has an attitude that I better move. It doesn’t happen often, but it really rubs me the wrong way when it does.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have even asked and just taken the seat I had the ticket for. In this case if it truly is just one seat difference I don't see the harm in asking and would be accepting for whatever response they give.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter