New Express Transportation: $19/day or $29/week-SERVICE ENDING AUGUST 23RD 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It occurs to me that the 7day/$24 per person price is comparable to a rental car, and having our own car provides a number of advantages for us over the course of a full week, like being able to eat our last table service meal offsite (and saving quite a bit).

As for myself, and the points I choose to debate/support, I've been here quite a while. Not that long ago, before the actual roll out of FP+, I posted that the idea had some potential to make touring better. I still say the idea has potential.

The idea of increasing/improving transportation efficiency also has great potential to improve the guest experience, if it is done in a way that improves the guest experience. I don't think this model is going to do that. The infrequency, combined with the additional cost, plus the lack of bus stop theming, all point to an idea that was hatched in haste. I'm not sold.

Thinking back, Disney could have easily charged us extra to see the Osbourne lights, but they didn't. In my mind, that is part of what made it so special and worthwhile. It was a reason to visit HS, and even WDW. The idea that WDW gave guests special (included) bonuses and new experiences from time to time has truly been a big part of my WDW loyalty over the years.

This doesn't make me feel like WDW wants to improve my experience. It feels like they are taking something away.

We arrive on Saturday. I have an AP and DD has a 5 day park hopper. We are looking forward to using this new service and will report back with our experience.

Sorry if I missed this, but is the service added such that it can be read from our MB or do we receive some other media/ticket?

We arrive on Saturday. I have an AP and DD has a 5 day park hopper. We are looking forward to using this new service and will report back with our experience.

Sorry if I missed this, but is the service added such that it can be read from our MB or do we receive some other media/ticket?
either way, when you buy it you can put it on your mb or they give you a card

I am super excited about using this service on our trip in 2 weeks!! My daughter & I have APs and park hop frequently. For me, just being able to skip bag check over and over is a HUGE plus!! On our last day we will be at MK, and will be hopping over to DHS to experience Club Villain. This service will make that day a whole lot easier for us!!

It occurs to me that the 7day/$24 per person price is comparable to a rental car, and having our own car provides a number of advantages for us over the course of a full week.

This doesn't make me feel like WDW wants to improve my experience. It feels like they are taking something away.

The advantage with this option is the ability to skip security at the hopped-to park, saving time and stress. That is absolutely an improved experience for me.

So if I want to use this service for my family of 5 for one day assuming we have park hoppers. We would pay $75 to jump from one park to another? Sorry, I think uber would be way cheaper. Yes, I know you can jump to another park but realistically how many parks are you going to go to in ONE day? Just Disney trying to make more $$$$$$$$.

I certainly understand what you are saying but if you put a value on your time then it may cost justify itself. The time it takes you to exit one park and get over to the 2nd park, then wait in line for a bag check and wait in line to have your ticket scanned could add over an hour to your "hop" time. For me, at the current price point, I would feel that there is some value to use the express transportation, especially on a busy day.

And I understand that discussion on a discussion board inevitable, but if you are not being proactive about it, then why post at all?

In the end, your trip is the attitude you bring with you, if you come predisposed in hating everything, from the moment you see the $35 preferred parking to seeking out where the ugly looking cabanas are, I can guarantee you will not have a good trip.

Because it is a DIS - cussion board, that's why some of us are posting - just venting maybe!! Not that we have any hope whatsoever that anything will be changed. Of the changes/additions that we 'haven't' liked, not 'one' thing has been changed about it, so why should we stress? :confused3

And no, even though we have been going annually, or more, just because we 'don't' like some things, and go feeling that way, it in no way 'guarantees' that we will have a 'bad' trip. We always have good trips - see things (changes) that we don't like, and move on to those things that we 'do' enjoy each trip! We're not 'activists' - what a waste of time! (whether you, or anyone else agrees with this) :)

Our first trips began in 1972 when there was just the MK, so trust me, there have been many changes that we have not liked/agreed with, some we did, have discussed this amongst ourselves, as well as discussions with others, but we still look forward to our next trip 'of what we enjoy'! Our next trip of 10 days is for the 2017 F&G (our favorite).

I think it's fine. Avoiding all of that extra time walking to the front of the park and waiting for a bus to the other park, then going through security vs. a special pick-up (on a schedule supposedly) and drop-off in the park seems like a great idea.

There is really just 1 thing that make this a no brainer for us
Schedules. I know what time the bus will arrive. No random luck in hitting the bus at the right time. I'll use it for that reason alone

Very valid point. If the buses at the depots were on more of a schedule then catching/missing a bus is more on the guest. I understand sometimes buses will still need to be called when lines are longer than expected but there is no reason there can't be consistency. Even at the hotels it gets frustrating to see three MK buses come and go while I wait for Epcot etc.

Schedules. I know what time the bus will arrive. No random luck in hitting the bus at the right time. I'll use it for that reason alone
That and the skipping security lines are the selling features for me. While my bag is small, I cannot go bagless (I have food allergies, I have to carry two epinephrine auto injectors with me and they just don't fit in pockets). Only having to go through security once would be wonderful!

Very valid point, I haven't ever had particularly bad luck with regular buses, but being able to schedule could certainly allow you to maximize your park hopper more effectively.

So when it says every 30 minutes, does that mean they will always leave every hour and half hour? Or is it like the regular buses that say they depart roughly every 20 minutes but just show up more randomly?

So when it says every 30 minutes, does that mean they will always leave every hour and half hour? Or is it like the regular buses that say they depart roughly every 20 minutes but just show up more randomly?
Neither
Each park is on a different schedule but they are scheduled and every 30 min.
Yulilin has posted the times from her test of the service last week.
Basically it's like one park is :10 and :40, another :15 and :45, another :20 and :50, that type of thing.

The advantage with this option is the ability to skip security at the hopped-to park, saving time and stress. That is absolutely an improved experience for me.
I get that, thanks, but that only covers a small percentage of your travel, when we consider the bigger picture of using WDW transportation over a rental car, that time savings evaporates.

We easily save 90 min over using ME - just on the initial trip coming from the airport. (I've actually timed it)

Then we save more time when we go to AK, Epcot and HS. Plus, we save time because we come and go on our timetable, not a fixed one. At WDW, it is pretty much impossible to be at a bus stop moments before the bus is set to depart.

On our last day, we throw everything in the car. We can have fun up until we need to leave for the airport. When we used ME, we had to allow time to back to our hotel, then waited more for ME to arrive.

So the supposed time savings of this new service evaporates when I consider the IMO.

I get that, thanks, but that only covers a small percentage of your travel, when we consider the bigger picture of using WDW transportation over a rental car, that time savings evaporates.

We easily save 90 min over using ME - just on the initial trip coming from the airport. (I've actually timed it)

Then we save more time when we go to AK, Epcot and HS. Plus, we save time because we come and go on our timetable, not a fixed one. At WDW, it is pretty much impossible to be at a bus stop moments before the bus is set to depart.

On our last day, we throw everything in the car. We can have fun up until we need to leave for the airport. When we used ME, we had to allow time to back to our hotel, then waited more for ME to arrive.

So the supposed time savings of this new service evaporates when I consider the IMO.

I agree with you. Having a rental car is by far the most flexible and time efficient way to do Disney. But I will say the one thing I love about Disney is the fact that I don't have to drive if I don't want to. They pick me up from the airport, I don't need to worry about my luggage, take me anywhere I need to go in WDW, and do it all for free. To me that is a vacation lol. I think this service is trying to find that middle ground. Whether it accomplishes that goal (both in being popular and actually doing what it is supposed to do) is for me still up in the air. Early reports say it accomplishes its goal of speeding up travel but I'm curious to see how it really plays out.

I agree that overall, having a car is probably a time saver. However, driving is not a vacation for me. I drive two hours a day to and from work. I don't want to drive once I'm on site (especially if I choose to have some adult beverages... a DUI is definitely a vacation ruiner!) So in that scheme - which is probably the scheme for a good portion of on-site, and some off-site, guests - it's definitely an improvement.

I tried the express service today & I loved it!
I walked to the Epcot express, they scanned my magic band & told me it left in 10 minutes. I was able to use the restroom & then they walked our group to the bus. Was only 4 people that rode this one.
We went straight to MK & got off in the park.
Fastest way I've ever hopped!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter