NEW for 2024 - Disney Dining Plans Returning, Exciting Park Reservation Updates, and More

I guess these changes maybe mean the end of the VQs also? Unless they would just be open to anyone since there won’t be park reservations. That is one thing I’ll be most happy about.

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about that aspect of it.

I don’t think resort guests are excluded from park reservations. Just if you have a specific date based ticket, like a 1 day MK ticket for sample. If you are a resort guest with a multi day ticket, you still need to make park reservations. Otherwise they won’t know attendance at each park, which defeats the whole purpose of the reservations. At least that’s what was announced previously. So unless it’s one of the special access day or after 2, I think APs will still need them.

That wouldn't be a change though. As of now, 1 day tickets don't need park reservations because they are park specific.

Date based just means your tickets are valid for certain dates. Multi-day tickets are also date based.

But yes, APs will still need them. They announced that APs will have special days during the year where they are not needed.

That wouldn't be a change though. As of now, 1 day tickets don't need park reservations because they are park specific.

Date based just means your tickets are valid for certain dates. Multi-day tickets are also date based.

Eh, I still don’t think it means any park any day of your ticket. How would they know if you’re going to Epcot or MK? That just defeats the whole reason for reservations in the first place. Unless they make you choose an actual park for each day of your multi day ticket. The AP extra days say they will vary by park & be limited by capacity. So they can control attendance that way.

Already bought a package for next year with the Dining Credit since I'm from the UK, is it possible to use the Dining Credit to book the Dining Plan, or switch over to the Dining Plan? Unsure how this works/if someone has done it before, but just using the Dining Plan would make things a lot easier without having to worry about food.
I don't think it will be possible to use the credit toward a dining plan, but you will probably be able to modify your package to have a dining plan instead. No one has done it before because this is all new territory.
I guess these changes maybe mean the end of the VQs also? Unless they would just be open to anyone since there won’t be park reservations. That is one thing I’ll be most happy about.
It will likely revert to the way it was before park reservations were in place (pre-Covid). For Rise of the Resistance, you had to have scanned into the park to get a VQ spot.
I don’t think resort guests are excluded from park reservations. Just if you have a specific date based ticket, like a 1 day MK ticket for sample. If you are a resort guest with a multi day ticket, you still need to make park reservations. Otherwise they won’t know attendance at each park, which defeats the whole purpose of the reservations. At least that’s what was announced previously. So unless it’s one of the special access day or after 2, I think APs will still need them.
This is not true. It's for almost all ticket-holders. You choose your starting date for multi-day tickets (this determines the price of the ticket.) This is on the Disney website:

1683580778700.png

I don't think it will be possible to use the credit toward a dining plan, but you will probably be able to modify your package to have a dining plan instead. No one has done it before because this is all new territory.

It will likely revert to the way it was before park reservations were in place (pre-Covid). For Rise of the Resistance, you had to have scanned into the park to get a VQ spot.

This is not true. It's for almost all ticket-holders. You choose your starting date for multi-day tickets (this determines the price of the ticket.) This is on the Disney website:

View attachment 759414

Well thanks! I hadn‘t read the website yet, I should have checked everything before I commented. Then I do hope APs with resort stays can skip them too, since we’re out of state incredipass who always stay onsite. Of course, they could be using park reservations as a way to discourage APs. 😉😂

Well, well, well. I guess Disney realized they were losing customers. I haven't visited since they instituted park reservations. Instead I have gone to Universal. I have probably visited Universal about 8 times (out of state) and Disney lost out on my $$$$ (previously we were WDW fans and Universal was a one off sometimes). We'll see how this shakes out but maybe I'll actually go back and get to ride Guardians and Tron next year!

Well thanks! I hadn‘t read the website yet, I should have checked everything before I commented. Then I do hope APs with resort stays can skip them too, since we’re out of state incredipass who always stay onsite. Of course, they could be using park reservations as a way to discourage APs. 😉😂
I am also an out of state Incredipass. I stay onsite for family trips, but often off for work trips (where I have to stay wherever my group stays).

Honestly, although I understand it's an extra step that people would rather not have to take the time for, I have never had a problem booking a park reservation for any day I am visiting. I just don't see it as that big a deal. So I'm not sure that it would "discourage" anyone, at least anyone who has used the system the past couple of years. I know some have simply decided they don't want to hassle with it, so they don't go. That's their prerogative, of course!

Well, well, well. I guess Disney realized they were losing customers. I haven't visited since they instituted park reservations. Instead I have gone to Universal. I have probably visited Universal about 8 times (out of state) and Disney lost out on my $$$$ (previously we were WDW fans and Universal was a one off sometimes). We'll see how this shakes out but maybe I'll actually go back and get to ride Guardians and Tron next year!

So you decided not to go to Disney at all solely because you would have to make a park reservation for each day?

Of course I understand everyone has different priorities when making decisions about their vacations, but I don't get what was so onerous about spending 30 seconds booking a park.

Honestly just trying to understand.

I am also an out of state Incredipass. I stay onsite for family trips, but often off for work trips (where I have to stay wherever my group stays).

Honestly, although I understand it's an extra step that people would rather not have to take the time for, I have never had a problem booking a park reservation for any day I am visiting. I just don't see it as that big a deal. So I'm not sure that it would "discourage" anyone, at least anyone who has used the system the past couple of years. I know some have simply decided they don't want to hassle with it, so they don't go. That's their prerogative, of course!
I’m an out of state AP who always stays on site, the most off site I get is Swolphin, and tbh I hate it because the system is glitchy as all get out about recognizing that I actually have a resort stay when I go to book reservations. It never lets me book length of stay park passes. Every single time I’ve had to call them to get it straightened out. It’s annoying.

The fact that this is for 2024 is a complete joke to me. You’re 4-5 months into 2023. They can change all this right now if they wanted to. Just do it already and stop making people wait. They are probably looking for the new headline since they don’t have anything ready for 2024 ride wise. It’s a little insulting to be honest.

I just said it because of all the talk a few months ago about how much Disney did not want APs & we weren’t profitable to them as other guests.

If you’re an AP on site, doesn’t has just as much info on you as it does anyone else on site. They know my length of stay & where all my ADRs are. So they can have as good an idea on my plans as they do anyone else who’s staying onsite.

I think the biggest thing people want is flexibility. So hopefully the next step will be lessening park hopping restrictions.

Not super overwhelmed by the changes. There are so many other things I would like back. We do like the dining plan though. My kids love character dining, and that’s enough to usually be worth it (plus, encourages us to order drinks, which we enjoy)!

I haven’t yet used Genie+, but will in a few weeks. I’d like not having to wake at 7am to book.

For me, the park reservation thing isn’t the worst. Especially as we’ve usually planned meals, so we’ve essentially planned our park days.

I miss all the free things we used to get. And better extended hours.

I actually really like that Genie+ is a day-of ride reservation system. I always thought it was weird that 60 (or 30) days before your trip would make or break your park days. Before your vacation had even begun. And don't get me started on deciding what you're going to eat 6 months in advance. I'm an obsessive planner, but that's just nuts. I did however like when you could pre-purchase Genie+ with your tickets. Fingers crossed they eliminate (or make earlier) the park hop restriction 🤞🤞

I actually really like that Genie+ is a day-of ride reservation system. I always thought it was weird that 60 (or 30) days before your trip would make or break your park days. Before your vacation had even begun. And don't get me started on deciding what you're going to eat 6 months in advance. I'm an obsessive planner, but that's just nuts. I did however like when you could pre-purchase Genie+ with your tickets. Fingers crossed they eliminate (or make earlier) the park hop restriction 🤞🤞
Agreed about day-off!

I hate waking up before 7 to get these things though. Give me a day before to make these things or the midnight before

I shouldn’t have to wake up early on my vacation to do this

That’s the change I would like

I may be in the minority here, but one of the things I like about Genie+ is that you don't have to plan 30 or 60 days in advance on booking rides. I like that everyone has a shot on the day you are there.
Me too! For us G+ worked out better than FP+ because I don’t need to figure out 30-60 days before what I’m doing and I don’t need a longer stay to get the good rides. I loved that we changed parks the night before (decided to go to EP instead of MK) and we were still able to do the cool rides at EP.

I do hate getting up at 7am. In my ideal world, you could buy G+ at 8pm the day before and select your first LL.

Thanks for the reply, I guess we can take a look to see what the Dining Credits are exactly.

With regards to the park reservations, out of interest, if we book a specific date to stay at a Disney hotel, I guess these are automatically dated tickets, meaning we no longer have to park reserve?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter