NEW for 2024 - Disney Dining Plans Returning, Exciting Park Reservation Updates, and More

Yeah I don’t see any of this as beneficial to anyone other than those who want to pay a boatload more money, mainly for things that were free pre-COVID.

This is just a way to get more people to buy LL and Genie+, and punish AP holders.

Disney claims they are listening to guest feedback. No they aren’t. Actual guest feedback is to get rid of the park reservations entirely, just like every other theme park has done. And if you want a paid express lane, do it simple like Universal does. Not this convoluted system of tiers, virtual queues, LLs, and advanced booking windows that a rocket scientist wouldn’t be able to keep straight. I feel sorry for first time visitors that need to take a class to figure this stuff out without having to spend a fortune.
None of this is being down for guest benefit. It’s more nickel and diming wrapped up to make it look like they are giving you what you want.
All of this sounds great, but I don't think disney can do the EP like Universal. Universal does not have as many hotels/resorts as Disney does, so they are able to do this at this time. The scope of disney's resorts/hotels would not work IMO with EP. I love the Universal EP and think they have done it right.

Already bought a package for next year with the Dining Credit since I'm from the UK, is it possible to use the Dining Credit to book the Dining Plan, or switch over to the Dining Plan? Unsure how this works/if someone has done it before, but just using the Dining Plan would make things a lot easier without having to worry about food.
They didnt have the dining credit option when they had the dining plan (pre covid). The dining credit thing is what morphed afterward and is still fairly new. So this is something that I think only Disney can answer for you.

They didnt have the dining credit option when they had the dining plan (pre covid). The dining credit thing is what morphed afterward and is still fairly new. So this is something that I think only Disney can answer for you.
I probably suspect that it's only been put in place due to the Plans not being available.

I'm expecting after next year the Credit will no longer be an option and it will be a free Dining Plan from that point on.

Agreed. It's mainly PR to get people back to Disney. The outlook for bookings is very soft. Outside of here demand is not high at all. It's not just Disney, it's travel in general. Many can't afford these type of vacations right now.
Yah. I've never seen restaurants so wide open at 60 days out. I mean, some exceptions but not many compared to EXACTLY the same days last year. And discounts are also widely available at many hotels.

I haven’t been on the boards much at all since last summer. I have to say I don’t remember this much cynicism. Maybe it’s just this thread.

I do see things continually improving. Is it taking a long time? Yes. Too long? Probably. Are they back to where we were in the pre Covid era? No

We had an amazing time last summer (with G+, flaws and all). My biggest gripe is the massive price increase for a similar experience to pre shutdown. However, summer 2022 we felt the product we experienced was pretty dang close to what we know and love.

I probably suspect that it's only been put in place due to the Plans not being available.

I'm expecting after next year the Credit will no longer be an option and it will be a free Dining Plan from that point on.
I agree. I’m sure it’s going away once the DDP starts back up.

..also hoping that bringing the DP back means that it opens the door for "Free dining" offers, or even something like we had one year (2018?) when we got one free QS meal per day. That added up to some good savings too, but nothing compared to FD back in the day for us (2010 -2015). Now FD is so limited (in 2019 even moderate resorts only got the QS plan) that it's not what it used to be, but for a family of 5 can still be substantial.
We are booked to visit in August. Secretly wishing (although I guess now the secret is out!) that a FD BB offer will be available. I'm not holding my breath and guessing it won't be but a girl can dream. We had FD BB offers every summer/Sep from 2010-2019! Would love to re-start that tradition!

I will say, without FD I don't see us purchasing the DP. Now that we have a couple of trips under our belts without a DP, I'm finding we spend less and eat less. Neither of those are bad. I love the convenience of the DP but historically, looking at what we now spend on food, the DP would not be a cost effective purchase for our family if we had to purchase it.

All of this sounds great, but I don't think disney can do the EP like Universal. Universal does not have as many hotels/resorts as Disney does, so they are able to do this at this time. The scope of disney's resorts/hotels would not work IMO with EP. I love the Universal EP and think they have done it right.
TOTALLY AGREE, it is apples & oranges. Not at all feasible at Disney.

I really have to wonder what will happen to Universal's perks once Epic Universe and more hotels open. I imagine there will be at least one top tier hotel attached to the park.

A third park is a game changer and I wouldn't be surprised to see block out dates on all passes but the top tier for Epic Universe, potentially a more restrictive hotel express pass and Xpress Pass always at a top dollar price.

We are booked to visit in August. Secretly wishing (although I guess now the secret is out!) that a FD BB offer will be available. I'm not holding my breath and guessing it won't be but a girl can dream. We had FD BB offers every summer/Sep from 2010-2019! Would love to re-start that tradition!

I will say, without FD I don't see us purchasing the DP. Now that we have a couple of trips under our belts without a DP, I'm finding we spend less and eat less. Neither of those are bad. I love the convenience of the DP but historically, looking at what we now spend on food, the DP would not be a cost effective purchase for our family if we had to purchase it.
I will secretly wish for you too. :-) :wizard:

FD isn’t all that it used to be, but it is a very nice thing to have, to say the least.

I don't think anyone wants to pay a boatload more money. I can't stand the fact that I now have to pay for an inferior system to FP+. However the alternative, not having any form of skip-the-line service, is even worse.

I do agree completely that Disney has really screwed with AP holders (or potential AP holders) lately. Can't tell you how many times I've thought about those who were used to purchasing them and then got shut out if they didn't renew. Or those that wanted to move close to the parks and get AP's. Then there is the whole reservation part of it. That's really damaging the value of AP's.

I do think however that Disney IS very much listening to guest feedback and that's why we're seeing these changes.
  1. Before this, it was the ability to modify G+ selections without having to cancel the selection first.
  2. Now reservations are gone for date ticketed guests.
  3. Guests wanted the Dining Plan back, so DP is back.
  4. AP's are back (albeit still not at the good 'ol days value of AP's) and more and more restrictions removed
  5. ...
That's why I sent the e-mail to Disney regarding APs/DVC having the ability to forgo reservations with an on-site stay. I understand why they still want locals to have reservations for the am; I feel bad for them, but I get it. There are so many vloggers/locals who are in the parks daily and there needs to be availability during busy times for the people who spend the money to travel to DW to get on the rides that they want to get on, especially the ones with VQs.

I did receive an e-mail back from Disney stating that they are sorry that I was disappointed with the new announcement but they didn't have any further information except for what was announced and that they would definitely pass on my concerns to management. Hopefully, they do and this isn't just said to pacify an unhappy customer.

I highly recommend that anyone who has a concern about the announcements that were just made to contact Disney before they have made any final decisions and rolled out the new plans.

Last edited:
I would imagine Disney has already finalized what they plan to charge for the new dining plan options. It is simply a matter of when they announce it later this month. I am sure they get tons of emails with suggestions/ideas/complaints. Their complaint department probably has stock replies for all of those and doubt it makes any difference on what they plan to announce. Perhaps they tabulate the number of comments on specific things. but likely most go in the trash.

I'm not at all surprised by the AP thing. Let's be honest, Disney makes the most money off people coming on vacation or staying on site, not the locals. I think they really just brought AP back because numbers are down, and it's an easy way to make more money. They aren't looking to appease those AP holders, as they don't account for the most money spent per visit.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm sure that played a factor in some of their decisions.

I'm not at all surprised by the AP thing. Let's be honest, Disney makes the most money off people coming on vacation or staying on site, not the locals. I think they really just brought AP back because numbers are down, and it's an easy way to make more money. They aren't looking to appease those AP holders, as they don't account for the most money spent per visit.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I'm sure that played a factor in some of their decisions.
Guarantee most AP holders are NOT locals. Honestly for many locals Disney AP is now too expensive and they get less restrictions at Universal and Sea World for similar costs. They make plenty off AP holders.

Add that AP Holders are their backbone that provide them with cash good days and bad.

I agree. I’m sure it’s going away once the DDP starts back up.
I hope you can maybe clarify this for me, but something that has confused me with the Dining Plan at Disney World is that is there no limit to how much you can spend per voucher? I think Disneyland Paris has 30 euros or something, and anymore than that, you got to pay the the difference. Does Disney World have a voucher amount like Paris?

Guarantee most AP holders are NOT locals. Honestly for many locals Disney AP is now too expensive and they get less restrictions at Universal and Sea World for similar costs. They make plenty off AP holders.

Add that AP Holders are their backbone that provide them with cash good days and bad.
I completely agree that AP holders give Disney money. But I would argue that it's those on those once every year or couple of years or once-in-a-lifetime vacations that are going to give Disney more money at the time of the visit. AP holders can come back, but many vacationers are going to "splurge" on things like souvenirs, meals, G+, extra tours, etc. If there were no value in the AP, Disney wouldn't sell it. But I bet if they were to look at the amount spent in 1 day by someone coming on a rare vacation to Disney vs one day spent by an AP holder, the vacationer would definitely outspend. Are there exceptions, sure? But from a purely business standpoint, Disney is probably making more money off non-AP holders. Not saying it's right or wrong.

Could I be wrong? Absolutely! I just think Disney would've been more keen to bring back the AP sooner if they really got more money from AP holders.

I haven’t been on the boards much at all since last summer. I have to say I don’t remember this much cynicism. Maybe it’s just this thread.

I do see things continually improving. Is it taking a long time? Yes. Too long? Probably. Are they back to where we were in the pre Covid era? No

We had an amazing time last summer (with G+, flaws and all). My biggest gripe is the massive price increase for a similar experience to pre shutdown. However, summer 2022 we felt the product we experienced was pretty dang close to what we know and love.
I agree. It's slowlyyyyyyyyyy getting back to a better Disney. It may never be the same again, but nothing is. Every place I go, service has been cut and declined, particularly restaurants and travel. I work in healthcare, and dealing with insurance companies has become unbearable due to low staff and wait times to get anything done. I'm not sure why Disney would be much different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter