NEW for 2024 - Disney Dining Plans Returning, Exciting Park Reservation Updates, and More

This is funny to me. I didn't read all 9 pages of this thread; imagine others pointed this out, too.
A couple of years ago, if they had just switched to a paid FP, we would have been livid.
So, instead, they roll out this ridiculous paid ILL$/G+ system. We adapt. Now they change to allow pre-planning basically creating a paid FP and we are all excited. Genius.
And there will be folks unhappy they're changing and doing away with Genie+ as it is today - just as we think we have it figured out, finally!!

This is funny to me. I didn't read all 9 pages of this thread; imagine others pointed this out, too.
A couple of years ago, if they had just switched to a paid FP, we would have been livid.
So, instead, they roll out this ridiculous paid ILL$/G+ system. We adapt. Now they change to allow pre-planning basically creating a paid FP and we are all excited. Genius.
I don't think it's going back to FP+. My best guess is they keep Genie+ but let you pre-book your first LL.

This exactly!! It sounds like it’s going to basically be a paid FP system. I’m still not excited, but do hope it alleviates some of the constant phone use.

This exactly!! It sounds like it’s going to basically be a paid FP system. I’m still not excited, but do hope it alleviates some of the constant phone use.
If it's only first 1 it's not going to change much.

In its previous form, everyone in the same room had to buy the same package. I imagine they’d keep that formula
I hate that. I never order off the kids menu. We usually get an app, one main, and a dessert and split all of it. But of course that won’t get Disney get richer.

I believe people were more upset in 2019 with the paid FP rumor than they were in 2021 with the rollout. More patience and understanding during Covid.

As a system, Genie+ doesn’t work for how we vacation. We purchased it once at WDW and once at DL. That was enough. Whereas, FP+ did work for us. Doesn’t mean I enjoy paying for it.

Last edited:
I believe people were more upset in 2019 with the paid FP rumor than they were in 2021 with the rollout. More patience and understanding during Covid.

As a system, Genie+ doesn’t work for how we vacation. We purchased it once at WDW and once at DL. That was enough. Whereas, FP+ did work for us. Doesn’t mean I enjoy paying for it.
I definitely think the paid system sucks, but I also understand that we're probably stuck with it.

I haven't yet used Genie+, but will probably get it for our upcoming trip. What I'm most annoyed about is having to get up before 7am to use it. I would even be ok with getting to book after checking in to a park, as we're typically there for rope drop. But if we want a "sleep in" day now on vacation, we either forego good options on Genie+ or wake up early just for that. Doesn't sound like my idea of fun on vacation!

That's because the previous system was far better than the current debacle -- and we still have to pay for it!

Bring back FP+, or something close to it, and I'll gladly pay for it! The current system? We'll pay for it, through gritted teeth, and just PRAY that it'll help improve our trip. God knows if it will!

Please keep this thread on topic about the changes coming in 2024 and discussion of those.

Posts about the new AP promotion and ticket offer announced yesterday for 2023 have been deleted to avoid confusion.

I may be in the minority here, but one of the things I like about Genie+ is that you don't have to plan 30 or 60 days in advance on booking rides. I like that everyone has a shot on the day you are there.
Totally agree with this. I hated FP+ (and frankly, it's the equivalent of making a park reservation) because I didn't want to plan which park I'd be in 30 or 60 days in advance. It also sucked if you had a last minute trip. I also hated the tier system. I like Genie+ (except for the price, but I guess that's necessary to temper demand). It seems to me like the old FP system, minus running all over the park to get the paper FPs. I'm not on my phone all day and don't find Genie+ difficult.

Hello,

I read that in January 2024 WDW is ending the theme park reservations requirement for date-based tickets. What do they mean by date-based tickets?
Thanks.

Hello,

I read that in January 2024 WDW is ending the theme park reservations requirement for date-based tickets. What do they mean by date-based tickets?
Thanks.

Stand alone tickets where you've selected a start date or tickets included with hotel package.

Hello,

Thanks.
Really every kind of ticket unless you either:
1. Have old non-expiring tickets; or
2. Pay the upcharge to purchase anytime use tickets that still have to be used within x days of first activation (which is basically just like buying hte most expensive date-based tickets, and is really never worth it).

So you decided not to go to Disney at all solely because you would have to make a park reservation for each day?

Of course I understand everyone has different priorities when making decisions about their vacations, but I don't get what was so onerous about spending 30 seconds booking a park.
Nope. It was the increase in prices, the lack of service at the hotels, the food prices going up for less quality, the parking fees (that's been removed now I believe), the park reservations, no park hopping before 2pm, paid fast passes (Genie +) requiring you to get up extra early during your vacation. Just too much with the parks being crowded and the cast members being stretched too thin. Just not how I want to spend my money.

Nope. It was the increase in prices, the lack of service at the hotels, the food prices going up for less quality, the parking fees (that's been removed now I believe), the park reservations, no park hopping before 2pm, paid fast passes (Genie +) requiring you to get up extra early during your vacation. Just too much with the parks being crowded and the cast members being stretched too thin. Just not how I want to spend my money.
We already cancelled four trips, for many of the reasons mentioned above (plus Covid and airport chaos)

We are finally going in October, and can't cancel because this is a family reunion trip, with five family members meeting us there. Unfortunately, that's still not late enough for much-needed changes to Genie+, and the rancid boarding group system. So, as trip planner, I'm hedging our bets, by planning to stay until closing time, and doing a Halloween Party, in search of short wait times. Pray for us...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter