New GF resort studio villa question

daisylovesdisney

Mouseketeer
We waited a long time to book our August trip and options are somewhat limited now. I just found out the new GF resort studio villas will be opening soon. Anyone familiar with the new building and any idea which way the standard view studies face? It says most of the resort studios have patios/balconies, I want to be able to request to have one and trying to figure out the best area to request for one.

Thanks.

OP, you might know this, but it's not a newly built building. It's an existing building which was newly converted from regular hotel rooms to DVC studios. I found this when I googled it:

What Grand Floridian building is being converted to DVC?
Big Pine Key
(Updated February 17, 2022.) Located on the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon and on the monorail line to Magic Kingdom Park, the proposed project will transform Big Pine Key (building nine) at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa into approximately 200 Resort Studios, accommodating up to five Guests.

I don't know if the Touring Plans room finder has been updated, but it shows you where this building is in location to other GF buildings:
https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-grand-floridian-resort

About 1/3 will be a nice pool view, 1/3 will be the backside of the pool house, and 1/3 stares at the side staircase of an adjacent building.

I would request a room ending in 02, 04, 06, 08, 10, or 12, highest floor available for one of the nice pool views.

Also be aware of the differences. These have two queen beds, a couch that converts to the day bed…does not face the TV.

It has no kitchenette and does not have a microwave, toaster, and it’s a beverage cooler, not your typical mini fridge.

The coffee pot is the single serve type.

I assume that SV will face the pool and as mentioned, some might be nice snd others blocked by building or staircases.

OP, you might know this, but it's not a newly built building. It's an existing building which was newly converted from regular hotel rooms to DVC studios. I found this when I googled it:

What Grand Floridian building is being converted to DVC?
Big Pine Key
(Updated February 17, 2022.) Located on the shores of Seven Seas Lagoon and on the monorail line to Magic Kingdom Park, the proposed project will transform Big Pine Key (building nine) at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa into approximately 200 Resort Studios, accommodating up to five Guests.

I don't know if the Touring Plans room finder has been updated, but it shows you where this building is in location to other GF buildings:
https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-grand-floridian-resort

I did not realize this, thank you for the info!

About 1/3 will be a nice pool view, 1/3 will be the backside of the pool house, and 1/3 stares at the side staircase of an adjacent building.

I would request a room ending in 02, 04, 06, 08, 10, or 12, highest floor available for one of the nice pool views.
Thank you, that is hugely helpful!

Also be aware of the differences. These have two queen beds, a couch that converts to the day bed…does not face the TV.

It has no kitchenette and does not have a microwave, toaster, and it’s a beverage cooler, not your typical mini fridge.

The coffee pot is the single serve type.

I assume that SV will face the pool and as mentioned, some might be nice snd others blocked by building or staircases.
Thank you, the kitchenette is disappointing but we do prefer the two queen beds/sofa vs one bed and one pull out. I guess it's a wash there. We're really limited to find more economical options that sleep five especially with space this late for an August trip, this seems promising right now.

Thank you, that is hugely helpful!

Thank you, the kitchenette is disappointing but we do prefer the two queen beds/sofa vs one bed and one pull out. I guess it's a wash there. We're really limited to find more economical options that sleep five especially with space this late for an August trip, this seems promising right now.
For some, that loss doesn’t outweigh the benefits but not everyone may be aware and the worst thing you want is to show up expecting things and not have them

I thought doing them might work but realize that nope, I need to have my toaster and full size coffee pot and don’t want to rely on having to hope they have extra to request them.

Glad it’s a great option for you!

I think the regular VGF1 studios now have the pull down murphy bed/sofa.
They do, and the Murphy is a huge upgrade from the pull-outs, but IMO it's still not a "real bed." Mattress comfort is a huge win, but I still don't like the disorganized feeling of opening and closing a piece of furniture to "convert" from living mode to sleeping mode, especially with no housekeeping. By day 2, there are sheets and pillows and blankets all over the place.

They do, and the Murphy is a huge upgrade from the pull-outs, but IMO it's still not a "real bed." Mattress comfort is a huge win, but I still don't like the disorganized feeling of opening and closing a piece of furniture to "convert" from living mode to sleeping mode, especially with no housekeeping. By day 2, there are sheets and pillows and blankets all over the place.
Yes, that happens to us also, it just gets a bit crazy. I submitted my dvc request and used your room/floor suggestions, thanks again!

I thought someone tracked down that all but a handful have balconies. No balcony would be a bummer to me.

And this is why I released the standard view room I was so lucky to get 12/10 - 12/17. Since I am usually solo I like having the couch instead (which isn't necessarily a deal breaker), BUT the lack of kitchenette was why I bailed. I love the mini-fridge and microwave as I like to eat a light breakfast in the room and enjoy lobster bisque warmed in the microwave for dinner. Not sure what Disney was thinking with the new design, but I cannot see it EVER working for ME. :headache:

I thought someone tracked down that all but a handful have balconies. No balcony would be a bummer to me.
My mom is coming on the trip and really makes use of the balcony so I am crossing my fingers we have one.
And this is why I released the standard view room I was so lucky to get 12/10 - 12/17. Since I am usually solo I like having the couch instead (which isn't necessarily a deal breaker), BUT the lack of kitchenette was why I bailed. I love the mini-fridge and microwave as I like to eat a light breakfast in the room and enjoy lobster bisque warmed in the microwave for dinner. Not sure what Disney was thinking with the new design, but I cannot see it EVER working for ME. :headache:
I also hope they add a microwave, seems easy enough to put a small one in that space.

Me too! I had them booked for several trips and changed my mind because the missing things make a difference.

Looking at the floor plans there appear to be 6 with no balconies on the 5th floor. Will there be 6, we will not know till it opens. Could they turn one into a laundry room and the other ones for storage? One is the tower room, but the room is larger than a normal room. Another two, one on each side of the building has basically similar to the tower the balcony is built in and has 3 windows to look out. Here is a picture posted by DVCnews.com. I have numbered the rooms that appear to have no balcony. You can see the some with the small square balconies

Attachments

• 053F0CCB-EBE4-46D6-83D8-D9224CED9985.jpeg
    053F0CCB-EBE4-46D6-83D8-D9224CED9985.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 58

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter