New glasses question

EveDallas

Always keep fighting
I have a new-ish glasses wearer (about 2 months). I only need them for reading but I read a lot during the day so I wear them several hours at a time. I've noticed over the last few weeks that the bridge of my nose is getting red and sore where the glasses sit. The frames seemed comfortable when I tried them at the shop so I'm not sure what's causing this. Are there any long time glasses people with tips on how to help this, or is it just an adjustment period? My son and brother who wear glasses all day don't have this, but they're worn them for years.

I have a new-ish glasses wearer (about 2 months). I only need them for reading but I read a lot during the day so I wear them several hours at a time. I've noticed over the last few weeks that the bridge of my nose is getting red and sore where the glasses sit. The frames seemed comfortable when I tried them at the shop so I'm not sure what's causing this. Are there any long time glasses people with tips on how to help this, or is it just an adjustment period? My son and brother who wear glasses all day don't have this, but they're worn them for years.

Were you measured for glasses by a pro? Normally, they will give you the "numbers" to look for to make sure you have enough space for the nose and the width of your overall face - and if you showed them the fit in store, they should have been able to see if the nose would be too tight right away.

If you were measured by a pro, I'd probably try a new site the next time I needed glasses...and I'm not sure there's anything you can truly do to correct the "pinch" on the nose with this set of glasses...

Allergy to the material? Could be a mild latex allergy that only pops up when it's on your skin a while, same goes for the nose pads or metal.
Could also be they are just too heavy, I like titanium for lightness but these days wanted tortoise shell so I got half rim to lighten them. I only need mind for distance so they are always on and off, which is why I lose them... often.

For reading my fancy eye Dr said just go to the dollar store or pharmacy because there is much less involved with reading than distance so maybe you can try a random replacement pair and see what happens.

Since you've not had glasses before, it's quite likely the sore spots are pressure sores. You now have something sitting on an area of skin for long periods of time that hasn't had that before. It does take a while to adjust those spots. I have the same issue with the top of my ears every time I get new glasses as every pair of glasses do not sit in exactly the same spot.

I usually use a bit of moleskin on the sore spots for brief periods to cushion the spot.

I have worn glasses every day for decades. I have found that I cannot wear a frame that rests right on my nose. My nose becomes sore from the pressure. I look for frames with a “nose arm” that allows the weight of the frames to be lifted off my nose. I‘m not sure I‘m describing it well, but when you shop for frames there are two types of nose pads and you will see the difference.

I second the pressure sores from the weight of the glasses. You can try adding some soft pads to the bridge of the glasses which may help. I have to have the high index lenses otherwise the weight of the lenses cause sores and I've been wearing glasses since I was 10. You may want to look at a lighter weight frame next time, semi-rimless or rimless frames.

Every face is different, and will require different frames styles to be comfortable. I have to have nose pads. I've never been able to find non-nose pad glasses that didn't make the top of my nose just kill me after a couple hours. There are other people that can't wear nose pads at all and are much more comfortable in non-nose pad glasses. Sometimes you don't figure this out until you've been in them for a while.

Different types of nose pads can feel different too. Some are harder/softer, some materials may be more irritating than others to certain people. Nose pads are easy to change out, though.

I find glasses with nose pads more comfortable, the weight of the frame directly on my nose was irritating to me as others have said. Also allergies could be an issue. My daughter had red spots at her nose pads for the first two weeks of her wearing glasses. They were slightly bumpy which made us think allergies (she does have pretty sensitive skin). We had the nose pads replaced with ones of a different material and problem solved.

They might not fit properly at the temples. Do the tops of your ears hurt at all? You can have the arms adjusted to be tighter against your head which should alleviate the weight on your nose. Otherwise, you may have gotten the wrong size glasses and need a wider pair.

I've worn glasses for decades and have had a number of optometrists over the years, and still have this issue. I have been back repeatedly for adjustments. I've tried just about every style out there. I go soon and qualify for a new pair, so will see how it goes, again! Will mention the material used in the nose pads if I get the same issue.

Thanks for that suggestion Mango7100.

I am sure that you can always go back to the optometry office and see if the glasses need an adjustment. Even if you're between regular eye exams, part of what an optometry office does for you is assist you when issues may arise with your glasses. I've gone in for adjustments, had nose pads replaced, gotten missing screws replaced, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter