• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Hawaii Carseat Law- Kids up to age 10 May Need Them Now

Thanks for posting this. My almost 9yo DD is exactly 4' 9" without shoes (just measured her) she is just as big as my almost 11yo DS. This might add another expense to our trip.

I would have been in a carseat forever. I'm 4'10", haha.
My daughter was mortified that she might have to ride with teammates to middle school sports events in a booster…that’s when we ditched it. She topped out at 5’2” and just barely 100 lb. We were afraid she’d need one to drive 😂😂😂

My daughter was mortified that she might have to ride with teammates to middle school sports events in a booster…that’s when we ditched it. She topped out at 5’2” and just barely 100 lb. We were afraid she’d need one to drive 😂😂😂
When I first started driving I used a cushion! Eventually I was able to raise the driver's seat enough so I could see the front of the car without it.

When I first started driving I used a cushion! Eventually I was able to raise the driver's seat enough so I could see the front of the car without it.
I am 5'5" and I swear that many cars are made for tall men. I am so glad that my kids are adults now and we don't have the hassle of car seats anymore. I can't imagine having a 9yo in a booster still. Plus I don't know how 2 year olds are able to fit backwards in the car seats. My kids seemed to have their legs squished by the time that they were 1. They would be folded in half and I can't imagine that is good for them. Maybe car seats are different now then they used to be 20 years ago.

I am 5'5" and I swear that many cars are made for tall men. I am so glad that my kids are adults now and we don't have the hassle of car seats anymore. I can't imagine having a 9yo in a booster still. Plus I don't know how 2 year olds are able to fit backwards in the car seats. My kids seemed to have their legs squished by the time that they were 1. They would be folded in half and I can't imagine that is good for them. Maybe car seats are different now then they used to be 20 years ago.
We turned my son a month before his 2nd birthday. I wanted to wait until 2 years. We even bought a carseat that had an extender for extra leg room, but it didn't extend out all the way after it was installed in our car. They don't mention that in the marketing. :P My son is super tall and his legs were starting to kick straight up the back seat. I know the point of the rear-facing carseat is to protect their spines, but I felt like his legs would have been crushed in an accident.

We turned my son a month before his 2nd birthday. I wanted to wait until 2 years. We even bought a carseat that had an extender for extra leg room, but it didn't extend out all the way after it was installed in our car. They don't mention that in the marketing. :P My son is super tall and his legs were starting to kick straight up the back seat. I know the point of the rear-facing carseat is to protect their spines, but I felt like his legs would have been crushed in an accident.
Yeah, I never understood how they can think it would be better for a kid to have their legs pretzeled like that. Maybe they can come up with a better harness system.

My son will be 3 in a couple months and is still rear-facing. He’s also really tall (just under 40”) but we have no plans on turning him anytime soon. He just folds his legs and has never complained about being uncomfortable. It’s actually more likely that kids will have their legs injured when they’re forward facing. Even if it wasn’t, I would much rather his legs be injured in an accident than his neck/spine.

Plus I don't know how 2 year olds are able to fit backwards in the car seats. My kids seemed to have their legs squished by the time that they were 1. They would be folded in half and I can't imagine that is good for them. Maybe car seats are different now then they used to be 20 years ago.
Personally, I think that all states should make the rear facing age be 2 years old. It’s so much safer. My daughter was/is tall and we rear faced until 3.5. Anytime someone comment to me about the leg issue, I’d say a broken leg is better than a broken neck.

This is good to know though. We plan to go to Hawaii in 2024 and our daughter won’t be 10 yet. I guess I’ll have to check a booster seat on the flight

Personally, I think that all states should make the rear facing age be 2 years old. It’s so much safer. My daughter was/is tall and we rear faced until 3.5. Anytime someone comment to me about the leg issue, I’d say a broken leg is better than a broken neck.

This is good to know though. We plan to go to Hawaii in 2024 and our daughter won’t be 10 yet. I guess I’ll have to check a booster seat on the flight
I don't doubt that it is safer, I am saying that 20 years ago, when my kids were that age, there was nowhere for them to put their legs after they got so big. I am thinking that car seats must be different now because there was no way that they fit backwards at that age with the seats that we had.

I don't doubt that it is safer, I am saying that 20 years ago, when my kids were that age, there was nowhere for them to put their legs after they got so big. I am thinking that car seats must be different now because there was no way that they fit backwards at that age with the seats that we had.
We switched our son before he turned 2 in April. His legs were too long and he was very uncomfortable. The majority of my friends all switched their kids before they were 2 for the same reason

Thanks for sharing…looks like my 8.5YO will have to bring her 4YO sister’s 2nd booster for our trip in August…I’m sure she’ll be thrilled. Good thing we have 2 boosters 🤣

I'm glad these regulations weren't around when my now-adult son was a toddler. The law then said you could turn them at one, and that was the best part of his birthday. - He got so carsick riding backwards, he was a different kid after we turned him!

I get the reasons for the recommendations, but I think pediatricians should be able to issue exemptions for some kids.

I'm 6'5" and I assure you, they aren't!
The last time that we had to buy a car, most of the cars that I drove had the peddles so far away. It is really unsafe to be so close to the steering wheel just to be able to reach the peddles. And 5'5" is not really short. People in general are getting taller but there needs to be a way to adjust the peddles for everyone's safety and comfort. I refuse to drive a small car and only buy midsized.

Thanks for posting this. My almost 9yo DD is exactly 4' 9" without shoes (just measured her) she is just as big as my almost 11yo DS. This might add another expense to our trip.
We always just fit a light-weight booster into the top of our luggage. It didn’t take up that much space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter