New Lion King show!

katyringo

DIS Veteran
I am excited for the new lion king show!

I will miss Mickey and the Magical Map.

I hope the lion king show is more like the one in Animal Kingdom. They used to have a small lion king show in DCA, right? But it wasn't like a theater production, just great singing and some dancing. I am hopeful this one is more full on theater production style..

I will absolutely miss Mickey and the Magical Map (one of my favorite in-park shows ever!), however I am glad to see the theater getting back into use. I do hope the new show is up to the same leve and has live-miked singers. I do believe this is a bit of a spruced up version of the DCA show, not like the show in AK, as in no acrobatics or anything. But there is a new set with more elaborate staging and such. I'll be interested to hear more about it once it opens.

It's Tale of the Lion King so the same show that DCA had but with new effects.
The show in Animal Kingdom and Hong Kong is Festival of the Lion King.

I'm definitely expecting it to be a very significant downgrade from Mickey and the Magical Map.
I enjoyed the music and dance of this show when it was in DCA but it was not possible for my kids to follow the story as you had to “know” and remember which actor was Simba, which actor was Nala, etc. They didn’t wear distinguishing costumes or masks. I hope the new show uses some more masks or something so kids can follow the story better.

Bumping this thread. Is this show worth seeing? We loved Mickey and the Magical Map but haven’t noticed anyone raving about this one.

Bumping this thread. Is this show worth seeing? We loved Mickey and the Magical Map but haven’t noticed anyone raving about this one.

I've seen Tale of the Lion King twice in Fantasyland Theatre and really don't care to see it again. The production value is better than when it was in California Adventure but it still doesn't have any of the acrobatics or special effects of Festival of the Lion King in Animal Kingdom.

If you're a fan of broadway style shows with decent singing, you may like this. But you won't be getting a Disney show with characters and special effects. I don't think this should be a priority for the infrequent visitor or for families with kids who really want to see characters but I do think it is worth seeing at least once if you go to Disneyland more than 3 days a year. By comparison, Mickey and the Magical Map was a show that I would have recommended to pretty much everyone.

I think it's a wonderful display of talent. If you appreciate good singers and dancers, see it. I would be happy if I paid money to watch these performers on a stage somewhere else.

I didn't like Mickey and the Magical Map, personally. A bit too hokey/cheesy for me. I prefer good vocal performances from artists who feel genuinely invested in what they are doing. I get that from this Lion King show.

Not my own review, but a friend who was there last week.

In Disneyland Paris (AP holders) we have a Lion King show as well. It is a great show, we love it. It is a mix between the animation and the Broadway (looks and two songs) in 25 minutes.

My friend saw the Lion King show in DL and considered it superior to what we have in DLP.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a show, some people like a mix of all kinds of characters, some prefer 1 story getting proper attention.

It brought tears to my eyes time and time again, the performers and just pure talent is astounding to me in this show. There was not one element I didn't enjoy.

I loved MATMM , but this is just so special.
While it doesn't have some theatrical elements that the Lion King show in AK has in WDW , and not recalling seeing the old version in DCA , I would still go out of my way to see it once.

Not my own review, but a friend who was there last week.

In Disneyland Paris (AP holders) we have a Lion King show as well. It is a great show, we love it. It is a mix between the animation and the Broadway (looks and two songs) in 25 minutes.

My friend saw the Lion King show in DL and considered it superior to what we have in DLP.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a show, some people like a mix of all kinds of characters, some prefer 1 story getting proper attention.

Nothing compares to the talent pool in the Los Angeles area. Disneyland has the best live performances of any worldwide Disney park, hands down. It's not even close.

This show is one of the best displays of live performance I've ever seen with the Disney name on it. To be quite honest, I was more impressed by this than the actual Lion King Broadway musical. Something about it was just so impactful. I also teared up a couple times.

The show is really well done with amazing vocals. I recommend sitting in the first few rows to truly appreciate all the small details and texture of the costumes and set. It’s especially great if you love the Lion King:

I do have to say that due to the style of the show my kids couldn’t follow the story line. I had to tell my older son who each character was and my younger son was just totally lost. They still enjoyed it though, especially sitting up close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter