• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Little Mermaid and Star Tours reviews (Disneyland)

KPeveler

DIS Veteran
I have had the chance to ride both new attractions in Disneyland, and I will post a little about how accessibility will work.

The Little Mermaid (LM) Undersea Adventure

The New Little Mermaid ride is one of the best I have seen in a long time in terms of accessibility. The entire queue, including all overflow areas, are completely accessible. The overflow queue snakes back and forth outside, and will be in direct sunlight at almost all times. I am not sure how Disney will handle it for people who cannot handle that kind of heat.

When you get through the overflow line and enter the "official" line, there will be a CM standing at a gate. He/she will check a GAC at this time if the CM outside did not direct a person to do something different.

The queue will be tightly packed and is back-and-forth. It already set off my social-anxiety problems without it even being completely full. Just something to be aware of.

At the end of the queue, there is a gate with a wheelchair symbol on it. People with mobility devices go through there to board the ride. The ride has a moving walkway at both the entrance and exit, which is in basically a 85 foot long hallway. I know that it can be slowed at the "disboard" part.

The cars look just like the cars at Haunted Mansion and the Seas with Nemo. They are brightly colored clam shells with a lap bar and hard plastic bench seats. You can fit 3 adults easily in the cars. Children cannot sit on laps, unless they are infants if I remember properly.

The wheelchair, if I can say, is just awesome. It is designed to look like King Triton's chariot and can fit one wheelchair and one guest. Guest enters first, then the wheelchair just wheels in. The ramp unfolds from the back and is very smooth and easy to navigate. The CM will wheel a person in if they need it, since their "pusher" might already be seated.

My wheelchair is 2 feet wide, and there was at least an extra foot of room, so a decent sized wheelchair can fit. The seat is a decent sized seat, so a person with a normal sized tush should be able to sit without a problem. There is a lap belt that goes on, mostly to keep the person in the seat from standing up.

Scooters cannot fit into the wheelchair car, but they have a complimentary manual wheelchair right there at the ride, at hte CM will help you if you need it.

There are two wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAVs), so things really do move along quickly.

The cars are slow moving and turn you, much in the way of the HM Doom Buggies, to face the show. At one point they turn and move backwards, but they do not tilt you backwards like HM.

The show is all around you, much like any dark ride. There is an awesome Ursula animatronic which is pretty scary, but nothing jumps out at you, and there are no strobes or flashing lights.

All in all, the ride is AWESOME and they designed for accessibility from the very beginning.

I will post pictures as soon as I get them.

I will post this afternoon about the Star Tours attraction. Hope this helps with planning!

I saw a video of the ride, its a ten minute video - they filmed the queue! So its a good look at what you are describing -

it is a video of the entire ride, so if you want to be surprised, dont watch

http://vimeo.com/24305945

Thanks for the report - and for the video.
The attraction sounds awesome.
For the sun exposure, U wonder if they will add some shade later?
I know they wanted to get it open, so may not have added everything to it since standing in the sun will be hard for everyone, not just those with disability related sun concerns.

In another video I watched, Jodi Benson (the voice of Ariel) mentions feeling a blast of wind during the ride. Did you notice any wind and if so was it a "blast" of wind or gentle breeze? My daughter and another child almost died on the Figment ride at Epcot when a blast of wind shot out and hit them directly in the face taking their breath away.
Also my daughter's wheelchair is not wide but it is longer than most. It doesn't fit on the Flying Carpet Ride or Buzz Lightyear ride but it does fit on the Nemo ride so I'm curious as to the length of the chariot car if anyone can help with that or post pictures. Thank you!
:littleangel:

I am going to go with my powerchair soon, which is 46 inches long. Just a quick look tells me it will fit, but I will try to measure next time. I know that my manual chair, which is about 27 inches long fits with about a foot and a half to spare in front and lots of room behind.

I can just see the confused CMs trying to figure out what I am doing when I pull out a tape measure on the ride!

Also, there was no "blast" of air on the ride that I remember, but it IS quite chilly in there. When I go from very warm to very cold, it can trigger myoclonic seizures in me, so that was kind of a big deal for me.

Hope this helps!

In another video I watched, Jodi Benson (the voice of Ariel) mentions feeling a blast of wind during the ride. Did you notice any wind and if so was it a "blast" of wind or gentle breeze? My daughter and another child almost died on the Figment ride at Epcot when a blast of wind shot out and hit them directly in the face taking their breath away.
Also my daughter's wheelchair is not wide but it is longer than most. It doesn't fit on the Flying Carpet Ride or Buzz Lightyear ride but it does fit on the Nemo ride so I'm curious as to the length of the chariot car if anyone can help with that or post pictures. Thank you!
:littleangel:

Do you know how long your daughter's wheelchair is?
That would be helpful because some people might not know how long the ride car is, but know if their wheelchair fit ir not and how long their wheelchair is (or can measure it easily).
Sme don't fit on the Flying Carpet ride at WDW because that ride car has a box that sticks up from the floor, more than because of length.

I am going to go with my powerchair soon, which is 46 inches long. Just a quick look tells me it will fit, but I will try to measure next time. I know that my manual chair, which is about 27 inches long fits with about a foot and a half to spare in front and lots of room behind.

I can just see the confused CMs trying to figure out what I am doing when I pull out a tape measure on the ride!

Also, there was no "blast" of air on the ride that I remember, but it IS quite chilly in there. When I go from very warm to very cold, it can trigger myoclonic seizures in me, so that was kind of a big deal for me.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! Yes it helps! :thumbsup2
My daughters wheelchair measures 43 inches long. She sits in a reclined position (can't sit straight up at all) and that makes it longer and more difficult to fit.
:flower3:

Great review!

We were at DL 3 weeks ago, and were walking by, and they had a soft opening for Star Tours! So, we got in line!

We've always found ST at DL one of the most "inconsistent" attractions for disabled access. It's just been that we get different answers from different CM's almost every time we ride. My DS is in a powerchair, and the answer most times has been to enter from the exit, although we've been taken up a side elevator before, and other combinations of that! And, one time, we were up on the exit part of the ride, and no CM's around to help us load!

Earlier in the week of our trip, a CM outside the attraction said that the new revamped queue was completely accessible. My DS was thrilled! He didn't want to miss any of the details!

But, on the day of the soft opening, the CM told us to get in line, and when we got up to a certain point, they would pull us out to go through the side elevator.....ok so far.

Then, when we made it past the first segment of the line, another CM told us "no, no, no...you need to go through the exit!" Once again...

However, the exit loading was much better this time; CM's at the bottom of the ramp at the entrance to the store to regulate the disabled line; CM's at the top of the ramp to help us get in a starspeeder. We transferred DS like we always did, through the wider first row.

And then, the ride was awesome! We loved it. And, despite the crossed signals at first, the disabled access was better organized than our past DL trips. Here's hoping that it continues!

Wade

My mother has MS, due to this she has difficulty walking and rides in a scooter while at Disneyland. We also had a manual wheelchair member in our party. We rode Star Tours and Little Mermaid, here's what we experienced:

Rode Star Tours twice, each on different days. First time was with the scooter, from my understanding only Scooters enter via the attraction exit, located at the gift shop. Manual wheelchairs are to enter through the fast pass return entrance, only rather than going into the building you are directed to doors on the left hand side, a castmember assists you inside, ride to upper level via elevator which takes you to the Star Tours loading area - which is too small to properly accommodate a large scooter which is why they have a different area for scooters, I guess - well in my opinion.

We did mistakenly line up at the exit with our wheelchair and the castmember asked us to exit and enter through the fast pass entrance.

It was my understanding that you need a special fast pass to enter with your chair or scooter, this can be obtained from the castmember tending the fast pass entrance and you should be able to get it even if regular ones are sold out, at least that's what I understood. After the crowds die down I'm not sure if this pass will still be needed.

Here's a pic of the pass we got for the scooter:

StarTourspass.jpg

Yes, for Little Mermaid you do line up in the regular queue. Once you reach the loading area you are pulled aside so you can park your chair or scooter. There's a moving floor just like the Haunted Mansion which can be slowed down, my mother asked if it could be stopped but the castmember seemed reluctant to do so but practically did stop it when he saw my mom was really having a hard time lifting her let to get in. It was slowed down both for boarding and exiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter