New Look for Magicbands is official!

Just found all this info in case it's helpful to anyone else! From http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/...w-magicband-2-including-release-date-details/
  • The puck inside the band is actually called an Icon officially by Disney.
  • The release date for within the Walt Disney World parks is in the next few weeks. Very soon. Steven Miller from the Disney Parks Blog will be posting an article about it when they are ready to announce it.
  • MagicBand 2 bands will be sent to Annual Passholders starting in December for new AP’s and renewals.
  • MagicBand 2 bands will be sent to resort guests sometime after the new year.
  • Bands sent to guests will have their names printed on the Icon.
  • All bands will be sold with an Icon installed in them. You will not be able to buy empty straps. This defeats the idea that Disney was looking for a cheaper option, or that Disney was trying to lighten server loads.
  • Disney will continue to make Limited Edition bands and they will continue making special effects at touch points.
  • Disney will update the On Demand band system to work with this new MagicBand 2 style eventually.
  • The purpose of MagicBand 2 was to allow more accessorizing. Think keychains, necklaces, purse attachments, wheelchair attachments, etc.
  • Accessories will include a screwdriver for guests to remove the Icon and use it in their new accessory.
  • Initially, retail pricing will remain the same as it currently is.
  • From my personal use today, I found the Icon very difficult to remove and reinstall back into a band. You need a tiny screwdriver and the fit is extremely tight. Popping these things in and out isn’t something you’ll be doing daily.
  • The band feels the same when wearing it. It’s just as comfortable as the new thinner style. The Mickey head area is bigger, but it’s really not that bad at all. Guests will get used to it quickly.
  • Old MagicBands (the original design) will continue to work just fine. You should not consider them obsolete.

Last edited:
I really don't think thats it. It's not as if the new bands will come without the mickeyhead puck. At least at first anyway. They seriously can't win with some people. It costs money to redesign, test, retest, and change the manufacturing process. Not to mention all the existing stock they have that's the old design. I'm sure the profit margin is pretty good once they get rolling but that takes a while, especially since they give so many away to onsite guests.

I'm not knocking the idea - it makes sense on many fronts to me. ...especially selling straps, fobs, etc, featuring different characters w/o the puck.

romctdp3805794-268x200.jpg
The first MagicBand 2 with a character design is being released on December 16th. . It is LE 2000

Any rumors on when exactly they will be shipping to APs more than just December? I just renewed and have been waiting to order my MB.

Any rumors on when exactly they will be shipping to APs more than just December? I just renewed and have been waiting to order my MB.
Nope nothing more than that.

I was told customize near the very end of the month, there will be no indication that your getting it and it suddenly appears in the mail if your lucky.. Basically first shipment in 2017 should start to do it but theres no confirmation until they are at your house if you got them.

What I'm doing is waiting for someone to post that they just got them in the mail and then customize mine.

I'm loving the idea of the keychain since I could put it on my pin trading lanyard!

That's what I was thinking. I don't like things on my wrist. I don't wear bracelets or watches because they irritate me. I'm use to wearing a lanyard and would prefer that.

Eeeek I personally don't like them, would go as far to say hate. Why would they make them wider?!

So glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks these things look bulky and ugly. I thought the old ones were too large and a little ugly, but these look awful to me.

I'm hoping for a puck that displays time.

Or your next FP+/ADR

That's what I was thinking, something with an alarm to tell me my FP window is opening or about to close.

Eeeek I personally don't like them, would go as far to say hate. Why would they make them wider?!

Right there with you - the new wristband design is hideous and I have tiny wrists, so not a fan of the idea of wearing that! I like the idea of popping the puck/Icon (Icon? Really? Strange name, but I'm sure we'll get used to that too) out and putting it on a pin trading lanyard though - lots of cute lanyards out there.

We are doing a split stay over December/January. First check in is 30th Dec 2016 and then we move to a new resort for check in on 4th January 2017.

Does anyone know if we will receive the new MBs for either of those check ins?
Or am i safe to go ahead and order the skins from Magic Your Band that I really wanted (which only fit the old design)?

We are doing a split stay over December/January. First check in is 30th Dec 2016 and then we move to a new resort for check in on 4th January 2017.

Does anyone know if we will receive the new MBs for either of those check ins?
Or am i safe to go ahead and order the skins from Magic Your Band that I really wanted (which only fit the old design)?
I check in January 2nd. I got the old bands I would think you would get the same.

I'm suppose to customize my resort bands by January 4th and 9th (split stay). I'm hoping I get the new band (We have tons of the old band and would love to be able to narrow down my bands to just 1

Sorry for the Instagram story commentary. I'll take better pictures at home.

Picked up the new 45th band tonight. It's Small World themed, but also has the castle from the first 45th band.

First impressions are that it sits a little awkwardly on my wrist if I wear it as high as I do the old one. The puck hits the back of my hand and it's kind of annoying. But I have a bracelet that doesn't come off, and if I wear it below that bracelet, it sits fine. Definitely not something I can wear on the same wrist as my watch since it's just barely smaller than my Gear S2.

Price was $32.99

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_214409.jpg
    IMG_20161214_214409.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 41
A few more photos of the band itself. Also, no special lights yet at the touch pointscreen, but that's normal when they release a new LE band

It feel pretty similar to the thinner MB - maybe a tad thinner but not much. The center/icon feels longer than the original, which causes it to bend around my wrist differently.

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_221835.jpg
    IMG_20161214_221835.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 14134-MMS-1481772307000-attachment1-20161214_221603.jpg
    14134-MMS-1481772307000-attachment1-20161214_221603.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 14135-MMS-1481772307000-attachment1-20161214_221555.jpg
    14135-MMS-1481772307000-attachment1-20161214_221555.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 46
A few more photos of the band itself. Also, no special lights yet at the touch pointscreen, but that's normal when they release a new LE band

It feel pretty similar to the thinner MB - maybe a tad thinner but not much. The center/icon feels longer than the original, which causes it to bend around my wrist differently.
Nice I may have to pick one up if it's still available in early January.

The shop Disney parks app has the 12 days of Christmas and today's items are magic bands. I really had been eyeing a haunted mansion me but now I guess I will wait to order the new ones.
Also, how secure are these pucks? Would they pop out on, say, ToT or a water slide? With our luck we'd lose them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter