new member, question about ASMo

nickiclour

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone, I am so glad I have found this site. I think you all are great! I have read "almost" all of the previous posts & have gotten a ton of info. I am planning on taking my DD to WDW for the first time in Nov/Dec. She will be 5 & non-walker/talker. We would like to stay in Toy Story building. My question is this.....is there enough room to manuever around in these rooms? I mean, how much do you actually spend in there anyways? Also, can I request to be near the front of the building, closest to the bus stop? Do I request that when I make my reservation or at a later date? And I read where some people fax their requests a few days before they leave, is this just to "make sure" everything is correct with the reservations? Is this a good idea?

I have a ton of questions but I guess I will start with these. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Nicki-Bekah's mom (sorry if I did not do this right!)

Welcome! Nice to have you join us.

The bathrooms in the All Stars and moderates are small, and it is not easy to maneuver in there with a big wheelchair (I am told!) but I am not sure about little kids. I am not sure if you will need a roll-in shower? If a tub will do, then you will most likely be OK, you will just have to carry your child in.

Now, about your reservations.... NO you do NOT wait until a few days before to make special requests, and faxing a few days before will cost you a fax fee but will not put your request any higher on the list than if you make it earlier. When you make your reservation through CRO, you should ask to be connected to Resort Special Reservations, or call them directly at (407) 939-7807. They are in charge of making sure that people with disabilities get the appropriate accomodations specially requested in the system. No guarantee that you will certainly get what you request, but they do their best. If you go through a travel agent who knows what they are doing (like Dreams Unlimited or others who specialize in Disney vacation, or disabilities) then they will deal with Special Reservations for you. When you make your reservation, they will specifically ask you what accomodation you need and why.. ground floor or elevator access, grab bars in bathroom, wheelchair access including roll-in shower, special accomodations for deaf guests, etc.. You can make requests for specific buildings, but that is not guaranteed and the accomodation for disability comes first, ahead of location preferences.

Feel free to ask questions... I hope you find all the information you need!

teri.GIF
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I have 2 kids in wheelchair ages 11 and 3. I have stayed at All Star Music twice with both of them and once with only the oldest one.

I request a first floor room in building 10 which is the first non-smoking building at Music, I don't know which building it would be at Movies but Wheelsie might.

The bathroom doors are wide enough for my oldest DD's chair to roll next to the toilet and from there she slides over to the tub.

I figure for the amount of time we spend in the room and the fact that they can both roll in the room it's big enough for us. However my next trip I'm seriously thinking of renting a house if for nothing else but our own pool.

Teri & Michigan, thanks for replying so quickly. My daughter is still light enough to be carried into the tub so a roll in is not needed. I was just wondering if I could request a room with a king size bed ( DD will sleep with the 2 of us due to the strangness of it all) & a rollaway bed. Do you think they will do this? I hate to get 2 double beds because she will not do well unless she is between the both of us.At home she is fine on her own but while away she is very restless. Would this be a good enough excuse for them?
Thanks again!!!!!!

You shouldn't have a problem getting a room with a king bed and rollaway. They also have fisher price or graco bed rails if you need one of those for any reason.

When you make your reservation tell them that you don't need an accessible bathroom but are requesting a first floor room for medical reasons and explain that you have a child that can't walk. I have always got my request for a first floor room in the closest to the food court building.

Just adding my welcome.
If you tell them that you need a first floor room near to the food court, bus stop or whatever else you need, for medical reasons, you should have no problem. The WDW resort Special Reservations number that was posted is like extra insurance to make sure you get what you need. Make all your requests when you make your reservations.
We have never stayed at ASMo, but a small child's wheelchair can fit almost everywhere. My dd has gotten too tall for a child's chair, but she is thin, so we can get in some narrow spots, but her chair is now too long to fit in some places. We are members at OKW now, so we are not concerned about the amount of room we have, but when we stayed at the moderates, we always did a little creative furniture a rranging to make the room easier to move in. y

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Wheelsie after the swelling goes down from that smack in the head with the wheel. Since you stayed at ASMO in Dec. I thought you might be able to tell them which building numbers are closest to the food court and if they are smoking or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter