New Member's first impressions of OKW and BCV ... and oh those technical difficulties

Mike

DIS Veteran
We just completed our first stay as DVC members. We stayed the first 7 nights at our home resort OKW and then moved over to the BCV for the final 5 nights. It was me, DW, DD10, DS8, and DS3 and we stayed in a 1BR unit. Overall, the trip was great but we seemed to run into a lot of technical difficulties at the parks (more on that later).

OKW was absolutely beautiful and the room was larger than I had expected. We stayed in 1825 and had an excellent golf and water view and we could see the new slide off in the distance. We had an easy walk to the Millers Rd. bus stop and the walk to the HH area and pool was only about 5 minutes. I thought this was a great location.

The room was in fantastic condition and the grounds were lovely. It was a very relaxing stay. We found the bus transportation to be excellent when we used it although I still prefer to drive. Only once did we wait a long time for the OKW bus at Epcot. We decided to skip IllumiNations to get a jump on the crowd and we got to the bus stop at about 8:25. The bus didn’t show up until 9:10. We were actually watching the fireworks from the bus stop.

The pool slide was a lot of fun but the rest of the pool was ok – not much to it. We ate at Olivia’s one night. The food was pretty good but the service was average at best. I don’t think our waiter was having a good night. In fact, the first and only time he was pleasant was when he brought the bill. The kids loved the community hall – especially during the rain storms. All in all I was very happy with OKW.

We checked out on Sunday and used bell services to transfer our luggage to the BCV. This did not go as smoothly as I had anticipated – keep reading. I checked in around 10:00am and was told that my request of upper floor facing Epcot could not be met. I was given the choice of a pool view on the 2nd floor which was available right away or I could wait for a smoking optional wooded view on the 4th floor. I took the pool view because it was ready. While waiting in line to register a CM was walking around asking if he could answer any questions for us in line. The guy behind me said “you don’t want my opinion right now” and I immediately thought about all of the threads here a while back about problems at the BCV. It turns out that this guy had used his points for some of his employees to stay at the BCV. They all checked out before him and all of their room charges ended up on his bill. He was not happy. I didn’t stick around to see how it ended but the manager was being called.

We went up to our room and my first impression was that I should have been wearing 3D glasses because I had just entered WDW’s latest attraction – Honey I Shrunk the Room. I was not prepared for the size difference between OKW and BCV. I knew it would be smaller but …. I made a comment to my wife about being able to sit out on the balcony and grab a beer from the fridge without moving. She said you don’t even drink beer what are you talking about. I told her that a wise man I once knew made that statement. :smooth:

The room was in ok shape – a couple of loose handles on the cabinets and light switches that weren’t working. The mattresses on the King bed and pull out were terrible. I was very disappointed about that. We got an egg crate for the pullout but it was still bad.

We returned to our room and called for our luggage at 7:00 pm. They couldn’t find it and said they would call back. About 20 minutes later I got a call saying that the luggage was not there – it was logged as being delivered from OKW and then logged as being delivered to our room. The CM assured me it was not in the luggage room as he had checked several times. I asked if that meant it was in another guest’s room and he said that was very possible and he was going to check guests with similar names. I was not happy about this at all but I remained calm. About an hour later the luggage was brought up to our room and the only explanation I was given was that it was moved to a different area in the luggage room and not logged properly. No big deal but it was an interesting 90 minutes.

I warmed up to the BCV as the week went on. I never did get over the room size but the location was great (especially the short walk to Epcot) and the pool was fabulous – a real hit with the kids. We got the Kitchen Sink at B&C and we ate at Cape May for dinner and breakfast. The new Marketplace is nice too. We will continue to split our stays between OKW and BCV in the future – although I am bit nervous about next year’s trip when we will have 8 people in a 2BR. The common area in the BCV 2BR may be a problem.

Now to the technical difficulties at the parks…. We seemed to hit our fair share and then some on this trip. At one time or another, the following attractions were shut down due to technical difficulties – the new stunt show (twice), the backlot tour, Tower of Terror, It’s a small World, Cinderellabration, Pooh, and Test Track. In addition, the gates at the International Gateway entrance to Epcot were not working one night. After making us stand there and wait in a crowd for about 10 minutes, they finally decided to just let everybody go in (it was 8:00pm). Another thing was that the pool pumps at Stormalong Bay were not functioning so they were not able to cool the water. The water temp was 93 deg and the lifeguard told me the normally keep it at 86. Lastly, all of the change machines in the arcade were not functioning correctly on one night which created a run on quarters at the front desk and the Marketplace. The CM I went to at the Marketplace was going to give me $10 in quarters until his manager yelled at him right in front of me to not sell “her” quarters. He apologized and gave me $3 instead.

We had a great time and are already looking forward to our next trip. Staying at a DVC resort was heaven compared to our previous experiences at the moderates, Wilderness Lodge and the Holiday Inn Family Suites. We spent more time at the resort than we normally do and we really enjoyed them. I am very happy that I finally bought my DVC contract.

I'd be happy to answer any questions ....

Happy to hear you had a great time in spite of a few difficulties...:goodvibes

What a great report! Sounds like despite some problems you had a good time! Welcome to DVC!

:wave:

Hi,

Thanks for sharing!! Sorry you had difficulties!

Thanks for all the details - glad you had a good time.

Best wishe s-

Thanks for sharing! I am glad to hear that you would stay at BCV again. It is my home resort. I do want to try other places just for the sake of trying something different. I just love BCV, the location, the decore, the pool. We are going to HHI this year, so that will count on my list of other DVC to do. I guess I will have to make OKW last so I am not going to be dissapointed in the room size of the other resorts. :teeth:

I often wonder if the busy summer months just take their toll on the rides, etc by the end of the season. I hate to hear you had so many "technology" issues but am glad it sounded like a wonderful trip overall!

Next time, you should try doing it the other way around. Go to OKW last and then you don't have the Alice in Wonderland effect of eating/drinking the wrong potion. Instead, you will always get the one that makes your accomidations BIGGER! :)

Thanks for sharing!

Laura

Wow! I keep hearing about the size differnce between OKW and the rest of the villas, but your post really makes it stark. My partner and I just decided recently to give OKW a try and if we split a visit, we'll definately do BCV first, saving the larger room for last!

Thanks for posting!

Very well-written report. You make both resorts sound great.

We use 2BRs. 8 in a smaller 2BR would get real old if you spent a lot of time in the condo. I don't think it'll be a problem if you're not there an excessive amt. If you will be, then I'd recommend strongly considering OKW.

We found the water to be exceptionally warm while we were at BCV too, I didn't realize that something wasn't working correctly. That's good to know. I agree with the previous poster, do the smaller rooms first, then go to OKW. It's a lot easier that way. THe room size is surely an issue but so is the overall feeling of the resorts. I like to start my trip at BW or BCV, and enjoy the excitement of the location. Then we move to OKW and relax and enjoy the grounds and the layed back atmosphere and the peaceful quiet. I simply love them all!

I love building 18 - it is one of my FAVORITES!!!

it is a great location.

If you are traveling with 8 next time - I might ask for a building 30 or higher.

they have a second door to the master bath in the hallway.

glad, despite your trip, you are happy with your DVC purchase!!!

spiceycat said:
I love building 18 - it is one of my FAVORITES!!!

it is a great location.

If you are traveling with 8 next time - I might ask for a building 30 or higher.

they have a second door to the master bath in the hallway.

glad, despite your trip, you are happy with your DVC purchase!!!

I should be writing great advice like this down! I can never remember it when we get there lol

Thanks for the info Spicey (starting a little sheet on each resort now!)

Laura

Thanks for the report Mike! Sure makes me homesick!

I agree with EVERYONE, if you are going to split your stay between resorts, always stay at OKW LAST!

It not only makes the room get bigger instead of downsizing, I think it makes for a more relaxing time after the initial park frenzy before having to head home. Ever get home from an activity filled vacation and need a vacation?!! OKW is like a vacation from your vacation BEFORE heading home.

This tip is also true for those who split stays between DVC and hotels on the weekends in order to save points. Always try to stay at the hotels first before moving to DVC especially if staying in the larger DVC units.

i'm glad you liked OKW.
I still remember thw 1st time my Dh and I were able to take our 2 boys.
He kept smiling and walking around in circles.
he wanted a conod just like it to retire in.

I agree with you that the beds at the BCV's are just horrible. I seem to repeat this constantly and I am amazed more members don't complain about it. I write a letter to Member Satisfaction after every visit and report this problem. The beds and the sofa are completely substandard. However, it always seems to fall on deaf ear because they are still there and members are still complaining about them.

I don't even want to hear one more time from anyone that you can request an egg crate.It's a sin that people have to request an egg crate to make a bed sleep-able.

Heidi

Heidi, I just took a thermarest mattress pad to put on the bed for our latest BCV stay. Worked pretty well, but it was a pain to pack! I always mention the beds in the surveys.

That said, I still love staying at BCV, and we always stay there AFTER OKW. DH loves OKW, but I look forward to the location, location, location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter