New Military Discount Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaylee

Mamie Console
Just wanted to let all of you know that I spoke with DCL this morning and was informed they changed their military discount policy. As of today you can no longer apply military discounts to existing reservations. :sad1:

Just wanted to let all of you know that I spoke with DCL this morning and was informed they changed their military discount policy. As of today you can no longer apply military discounts to existing reservations. :sad1:

Still applies to new reservations?!?

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2
U.S. Army retired after 25 yrs

You're right. That is sad. Disney has always been lacking in this area (military discounts) and now it just got a little worse.

Kristen

Are they even offering any right now? I've been waiting for some summer ones to pop up but haven't seen any.

Please tell me I'm missing something!

That's too bad though...

Nevermind...just saw the Mexican Riviera offer.

I'm going to be controversial here...Yes military personell provide a good service to their respective countries, but I have always wondered why the receive preferential treatment compared to other members of society. I am a teacher, I studied for 5 years to gain the education I needed to qualify - it almost bankrupted me! I am now paid an average salary for the work I put in (I am contacted to work 36 hours a week, but by the time I plan, create exciting lessons and mark work it is almost 60 hours). Why do teachers not get discounts?

Thinking about it - why do nurses not get discounts? Fire and Police people? Voluntary workers? Foster carers? etc.

I think that their should be 'perks' for working for your country, but I just think that they should be a bit fairer. I guess that what I am saying is, I never understood why these discounts seem to always be aimed at the military - and why only US military at that?

I'm going to be controversial here...Yes military personell provide a good service to their respective countries, but I have always wondered why the receive preferential treatment compared to other members of society. I am a teacher, I studied for 5 years to gain the education I needed to qualify - it almost bankrupted me! I am now paid an average salary for the work I put in (I am contacted to work 36 hours a week, but by the time I plan, create exciting lessons and mark work it is almost 60 hours). Why do teachers not get discounts?

Thinking about it - why do nurses not get discounts? Fire and Police people? Voluntary workers? Foster carers? etc.

I think that their should be 'perks' for working for your country, but I just think that they should be a bit fairer. I guess that what I am saying is, I never understood why these discounts seem to always be aimed at the military - and why only US military at that?
Because in service of their country they are asked to leave their families for months and months on end and go to dangerous places where their lives are on the line every day? As for why only US military, Disney is a US based country.

a good service

Does not even begin to describe what they do for their respective country...

Because in service of their country they are asked to leave their families for months and months on end and go to dangerous places where their lives are on the line every day? As for why only US military, Disney is a US based country.

:thumbsup2

The powers that be decide who does and does not get a discount. I have glady taken advantage of any discount offered for my husbands duty in the USAF. And will continue to do so. Are we getting a discount for our cruise on the Dream in June? No. And it probably won't be available. No big deal. We are looking forward to the cruise no matter how much we are paying. Am I sad there will not be one offered, sure. Just like anyone else out there I look for a discount where ever I can. From a coupon I clip for my groceries to a sale at a department store. Will I ever take the position of 'why them, why not someone else'? No, because in most cases it is not up to me. And who am I to question the value of one person's occupation over anothers?

I have my own opinion on the subject and I won't go further into detail as I genuinely don't wan't to offend.

As for Disney being an American company - true, but Disney Cruise Line is a British company (as in their registered office is Hamersmith, London), registered with Loyd's of London, with ships built in Italy and Germany and flying the Bahamian flag.

I really can't believe what you wrote, but I guess you don't have loved ones in the military to understand the sacrifice they make for your safety.

Don't forget Florida residents get discounts too!!!

Ok, being a military spouse I can't just let this post go by without saying my husband voluntariliy gives you your freedom so you can write garbage like that!! And with bad grammar no less. He is gone from our family for 6-9 months at a time and this is only after he's already been gone off and on for several months. I know other positions and service members are gone even more. I think Disney offers this so we can try to fit in a quality vacation when he or she returns and most of the military doesn't make enough to afford a nice Disney vacation. I am not degrading you as a teacher as I value my kids' teachers and feel they are also at the low income zone and should be much higher. But I would never EVER put down the men and women who give us our freedoms in this country, the USA!!! And yes, the same discount is allowed to Floridians so maybe you should move there!

Ok, this will be my last post on this subject.

Firstly, I do apologise if I have offended anybody - it was not my point. My point was that although military personell do make sacrifices for their communities, others do too, and should those people not be rewarded in some way too? I never at any stage said that they don't not deserve a discount, I was merely try to (unsuccessfully, I guess) that others do such good service in many ways, for many people. In my opinion, it would be nice to see these people rewarded too. It is my belief that we (as in the people of the world), need to widen our view of those who do good for us.

An example: I met a high school senior that spent an entire summer clearing an abandoned lot in NY to ensure children in the local area (deprived area), had somewhere safe to play. She got no reward for this.

I met a family whose father died saving a neighbours child in a fire. I reckon they deserve some sort of benefit. Add in all the fire fighters, police officers, people that give up their time an money to do good - don't they deserve to be rewarded too?

As for the people that say that I don't know what it is like to have relatives in military service... you are wrong. What I do know is that they love their job, and chooses to do it - that being said, it doesn't make you sleep any easier.

. But I would never EVER put down the men and women who give us our freedoms in this country, the USA!!!

I never "put anybody down" in my post. And I 100% agree with you.

OP...do we know when that went into effect. I made my deposit the 15th of Jan and was told to check back for military discount...although I doubted it would happen being the Dream. Also..are they treating Florida discount the same way?

First, I was a high school English teacher with some of the best student scores in our region, and even with all of the essays I had to grade, I never even once approached a 60 hour work week. On bad weeks, I spent 10 hours grading outside my classroom. On good weeks, I spent no extra time outside school. Time management is a wonderful thing.

Second, even though I taught in very rough districts and faced threats of physical violence at times, I would never even begin to compare the sacrifices of my job to what my husband has to sacrifice as an Army Captain.

One week after the birth of our first daughter, he had to leave for 6 weeks for training. Right now, he's been gone to a school since October, only able to come home for 9 days at Christmas (at our expense). Once he returns at the end of this month, he has 18 days with us before he leaves for a year in Korea. Once he returns from that, he is scheduled to deploy (at least as of now) ten months after that, again for a year.

All of the dangers aside, just the simple sacrifice of TIME is something no other professional in American can fathom. I have friends in the military who have NEVER been around any of their children as newborns. One of my very best friends had her husband home for 6 weeks following their first child's birth. (He was also deployed for one year prior to her getting pregnant). Then, he was deployed for 15 months with ONE two week leave in the middle. He was home for a bit over one year, and then he deployed again, after finding out she was pregnant with their second. He was not able to come home for any leave because it was a 9 month deployment, and he got home when the new baby was 5 months old. He will likely deploy again next year. Most of our friends have faced similar situations in the last several years.

Nurses, teachers, police officers, firefighters, etc. are all very valuable, but the sacrifice is not really even comparable to what our troops face. How often do any of those go months without seeing family? And really, I'm a champion for teachers, but I don't find it to be any more demanding or difficult than any other professional job, and I honestly find it a bit silly to lump teachers and nurses in with public safety officers, but that is just my opinion. Regardless, many businesses DO offer discounts to all of these groups.

So, really, the Disney gesture (among the many other companies that give a slight discount to troops and their families) is very nice. We appreciate it and take advantage of the offers, even when my husband cannot be with us, but I don't think we are entitled to discounts just because of the nature of his work.

Firstly, I do apologise if I have offended anybody - it was not my point. My point was that although military personell do make sacrifices for their communities, others do too, and should those people not be rewarded in some way too? I never at any stage said that they don't not deserve a discount, I was merely try to (unsuccessfully, I guess) that others do such good service in many ways, for many people. In my opinion, it would be nice to see these people rewarded too. It is my belief that we (as in the people of the world), need to widen our view of those who do good for us.

An example: I met a high school senior that spent an entire summer clearing an abandoned lot in NY to ensure children in the local area (deprived area), had somewhere safe to play. She got no reward for this.

I met a family whose father died saving a neighbours child in a fire. I reckon they deserve some sort of benefit. Add in all the fire fighters, police officers, people that give up their time an money to do good - don't they deserve to be rewarded too?

As for the people that say that I don't know what it is like to have relatives in military service... you are wrong. What I do know is that they love their job, and chooses to do it - that being said, it doesn't make you sleep any easier.

Disney JUST offered a really fantastic program for volunteers last year, and many other organizations do the same. However, the spirit of volunteerism has nothing to do with what you can gain from giving of your time.

Also, in every area I've lived in (and I've moved 15 times as an adult!), I've seen an enormous level of community support when a public safety officer or firefighter is KIA.

Companies offer discounts to better the bottom line, if it makes them look good bonus, but once a discount does not help the bottom line it is gone.

I am sorry that all companies are becoming so driven by the bottom line.

I heard there are no discounts of the Dream - only the Wonder. I guess that is typical for new ships/hotels.

This kind of entitlement thinking :mad: is made possible by--more than any other group--our fantastic military men and women, whom I work with every day. :cheer2:

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter