New Muster Drill Experiences

randumb0

Party at Mickey's
So far I've seen that MSC makes you watch a video in your room then you go to your station to scan your card

Royal has you watch a series of videos on your phone then go to your station to scan your phone (I don't know what happens if you don't have a smartphone).

So far I've seen that MSC makes you watch a video in your room then you go to your station to scan your card

Royal has you watch a series of videos on your phone then go to your station to scan your phone (I don't know what happens if you don't have a smartphone).
I would absolutely love it if DCL permanently did away with the old-fashioned muster drill where they blare the loud horn. My son and I both have ear problems, and that level of noise is excruciating for us.

I would absolutely love it if DCL permanently did away with the old-fashioned muster drill where they blare the loud horn. My son and I both have ear problems, and that level of noise is excruciating for us.
It is rather loud and I always see people covering their ears. It would be great if they got rid of the old muster drill protocols and added the bulk of the drill into the app.

I could see them in the future moving to how they do emergency demos on airlines. Many airlines I've been on in the past couple years don't even have a flight attendant showing you things anymore its just a video. Now an airline is considerably smaller so that's always something to keep in mind but the Muster drill is always a bummer because it never fails we are always waiting on some family that decided to be late....

It'll be interesting to see how things change going forward.

There will always be come kind of attendance mandatory for muster drills, the cruise lines have no say in this, it's law. But I think the changes proposed might fully meet the attendance requirement for the drill. Whether there is a video watched in your stateroom or a smart device, there still will be an absolute requirement that EVERYONE in your stateroom party go to check into the muster drill station location to be counted and prove everyone in your party knows the Muster location. Once you meet that requirement you'll be free to do as you wish. This might actually streamline and reduce the need for so many crew to be present during the old style muster drills and free them up to do other tasks that could speed up departure from the port for the ship. I see this a a tremendous upside.

It's loud, because it has to be. That's the point.
It has to be loud in a real emergency. It does not have to be that loud for a drill.

They can tell people that a loud horn will sound, so people will know that, especially if there's a video featuring the horn (which would be a tolerable experience because it's just a video & therefore not as loud).

For the muster drills to change, I believe that would need to come from the coast guard. There is something to be said for at least having to go to the location so that you know where to go if there is an emergency. If they put a video in the stateroom there is no way to tell if the people watched it unfortunately.

As much as standing on deck in the rain or hot burning sun is a PIA, it is vital people know what to do in case of an emergency. Of course we all think it could never happen but........we all know what happened to a certain ship.

So, making it mandatory for every person to visit and check into their muster station should still happen so that combined with a video explaining the process shown in your cabin would be OK with me.

MJ

For the muster drills to change, I believe that would need to come from the coast guard. There is something to be said for at least having to go to the location so that you know where to go if there is an emergency. If they put a video in the stateroom there is no way to tell if the people watched it unfortunately.
There can be an online video that people have to sit through before it verifies that they sat through it, possibly with a few multiple choice questions at the end (I have to do these kinds of things every year for professional development as a teacher, so it's cheap technology & it's out there). Keep in mind, there's no way to verify that everyone is genuinely paying attention at the in-person muster drills, either.

The main thing is to know where to go in an emergency. As the OP said, some lines are looking into card scanning at muster stations that could take the place of everyone filing in at the same time and being blasted with a deafening horn.

There can be an online video that people have to sit through before it verifies that they sat through it, possibly with a few multiple choice questions at the end (I have to do these kinds of things every year for professional development as a teacher, so it's cheap technology & it's out there). Keep in mind, there's no way to verify that everyone is genuinely paying attention at the in-person muster drills, either.

The main thing is to know where to go in an emergency. As the OP said, some lines are looking into card scanning at muster stations that could take the place of everyone filing in at the same time and being blasted with a deafening horn.

I wonder if there's some requirement that they have to test the horn? I have no idea, seems like that could be something that's required to ensure that it's working properly right before the ship sails.

I remember they were already talking about going for the « self-service muster » before the pandemic hit. I think this is it and this will be the new way of doing musters when they start in July.

I’m not sure how they find out when people do it in the stateroom but when it comes to video on the app, it « checks » itself once it‘s done… and then you have to have your card scanned at your station.

I can’t wait to see the first vlogs with the new muster drills.

Viking are giving people a time and place for muster drill at check in and are doing it in small groups. The staff member is at the muster station for a few hours so instead of doing it once with one break group, they do it multiple times with small groups.

I wonder if there's some requirement that they have to test the horn? I have no idea, seems like that could be something that's required to ensure that it's working properly right before the ship sails.

I believe the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) regulations require the General Emergency Signal to actually be sounded as part of the mandatory cruise ship muster drill. Presumably so the passengers are instructed in what it actually sounds like.

This video, taken by a passenger on a Disney cruise, perhaps demonstrates why that requirement is there. While it is clear many people knew what it meant and what to do when the alarm sounded, others appear to not know what it meant. While this situation turned out to be a false alarm, you really do want everyone to at least recognize what that alarm means...

I find the alarm to be physically painful when it sounds. We have cruised 8 times with DCL. My solution ? High quality foam ear plugs with a high noise reduction rating - the kind meant for use in loud environments. The usual ones I use are these by Macks, or something similar by a major reputable brand like 3M (I will not "cheap out" when my hearing is involved): https://www.macksearplugs.com/product/ultra-soft-foam-ear-plugs/ which are noise reduction rating 33. Then, I cup my hands over my ears for an extra layer of protection.

The ear plugs are one part of a two-part strategy though, as obviously walking with hands cupped over your ears is a bit challenging and can be dangerous if you try to do it walking down stairs. They announce the drill (and the horn) well in advance [and post-covid it may be that the muster will be done differently and we won't all gather in the same way, but the horn will likely still sound, so part of this will still apply, you may just be able to be in a different location for the horn(s), like your stateroom). So, we know the time of the muster, and they keep making announcements. We make sure we are in our stateroom well in advance. We check the corridor and note when the crew assemble -- listen to the announcements because they call them to assemble at their stations. Once the initial crew go to their stations, the emergency stairwells are opened up. We feel it is important to take the emergency stairwell so we know how to do it/where it goes should there be an emergency, so once the one for our stateroom is opened, we ask the crew member manning its entrance if it is ok if we go down then, and they have always said yes. So we go down, ear plugs in. This gets us down to the muster station BEFORE they sound the alarm announcing the start of the drill. At the muster station, when they give the warning that the alarm will sound shortly, hands cup the ears until it stops. You can still hear it, it is just muffled, to a point that for me at least it isn't painful anymore. You can hear the rhythm, you know what it will sound like (just lots louder) if sounded in an emergency, etc. If there was a real emergency, I wouldn't care about the loudness as it would be a short-lived issue relative to the much bigger issue of the emergency - plus you can cup your hands and cover for part of it -- I have to do this all the time for e.g. fire alarms at work or in public places [btw - an aside - at work I actually keep a pair of ear plugs in a specic spot on my desk so that if the fire alarm goes off I can use them... makes it soooo much easier!]

Not my favorite part of cruising but a necessity. As stated by the previous post, there was a false alarm aboard a Disney ship and people had no idea what to do. That is a problem. We all know of a ship that had an accident in recent times and too many lives were lost. I believe they had muster drills for those just boarding at their different stops? Or perhaps that fateful day, they didn't have a chance to get around to it. I don't remember the details. Very, very sad. But I do believe cruiselines operating out of the US will have to have some protocol in this post pandemic era of cruising that will keep us safe and providing what to do in case of an emergency. And while uncomfortable, you will need to know that sound and exactly what you need to do if you hear it.

I believe the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) regulations require the General Emergency Signal to actually be sounded as part of the mandatory cruise ship muster drill. Presumably so the passengers are instructed in what it actually sounds like.

This video, taken by a passenger on a Disney cruise, perhaps demonstrates why that requirement is there. While it is clear many people knew what it meant and what to do when the alarm sounded, others appear to not know what it meant. While this situation turned out to be a false alarm, you really do want everyone to at least recognize what that alarm means...

Thanks for sharing. I thought it might be something like that, I figured someone on this board would know more than I do. It is a bit disheartening to see how many people didn't know what to do when it sounded in that video. Of course it was a false alarm, so glad everything was okay, but in that moment they didn't know that. Reminds me of that tragic Southwest flight a couple years ago when the window blew out and they lost cabin pressure-people posting videos/pictures seemed to show who paid attention to the safety briefing and who didn't because half of them were wearing their oxygen masks incorrectly. It's easy for all of us to tune out, espeically if we've heard it many time before (though much easier to do so on a flight than a cruise!), but this is a good reminder that it's important information and we should all pay attention because anything can happen.

Keep in mind that these clueless passengers did go through DCL's standard muster drill. So it's not like the standard drill is that effective. Forcing passengers to line up and listen to loud blasts clearly does not prevent situations like this. People can mentally check out wherever they are if they're just not interested- sad but true. And even people who were paying attention can panic in an emergency and forget the procedure.

There are other methods that could be at least as effective as the standard drill, including a required video followed by the scanning of tags at your muster station to prove that you've been to your muster station and know where it is.

Last edited:
On our Celebrity cruise in October 2019 the muster drill was done in the main dining rooms with everything projected on big screen TVs. But they DID sound the horn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter