***NEW MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ Thread***

andyman8

DIS Veteran and WDW Passholder
Seeing as the other thread hit its maximum, it's time to start anew! Link to OLD thread.

Due to a recent increase in FP+ and MyMagic+ related threads, I thought I'd start up a thread with the basic (known) information about the matter along with an FAQ about it. I understand it's a touchy topic for many, but let's try to keep this as informational as possible. We can discuss it and ask questions about it of course! Also, feel free to bump the thread when you feel it's necessary.

MyMagic+ Overview

MyMagic+ (formerly known as "NextGen") is the the new "brand" of sorts that Walt Disney World is associating all of these new options and experiences with it. These include Disney FastPass+ (a stylistic change from the original Disney's FASTPASS), the MagicBand and RFID-enabled tickets (which allow touch-to-enter park admission and touch-to-pay resort charging), and the new My Disney Experience website and mobile app. A recent addition to MyMagic+ is also the new curbside check-in experience at all Disney Resort Hotels, allowing guests to check-in to their room anywhere in the lobby or as they're exiting their vehicle or DME.

The ultimate goal of MyMagic+ is to do two things: integrate newer technology into the guest experience and also improve the overall guest experience. In the process, MyMagic+ also gives Disney a better understanding of guests preferences, which can be used to improve marketing efforts. Here's more information about each component of MyMagic+.

Disney FastPass+ Service

Perhaps, the most well-known component of this new program is FastPass+ (referred to FP+). This new service will allow guests to reserve hour-long ride return times in advance of their vacation. For example, one could choose to reserve a 1:00 - 2:00pm return time for Space Mountain before leaving home. The catch with this program is that the amount of FP+s you can reserve for one given day is limited. At this point, the exact number of FP+s is unknown but is guessed to be 3 per day; it is also widely believed (per DisneyWorld.com's new terms and conditions) that guests will only be able to reserve FP+s at one park per day. Currently, it seems that FP+s can be reserved 60 days in advance. Right now, it has become confirmed that FP+ will be available to all day guests and AP holders in some form or another, along with Disney Resort Hotel guests, etc... might get a "bonus" amount in addition to the number given to the general public. Additionally, in the DisneyWorld.com T&C, it also states that FP+ and standard FP are indeed mutually exclusive. None of this is currently available in the parks and much of this is based on info from semi-credible sources like the DisneyWorld.com T&C.

MagicBands

Another major component of this program are MagicBands. These adjustable wristbands, in essence, have a tiny RFID chip inside, which act as a guest's park admission, charge card, room key, dining plan, and PhotoPass. These wristbands will be complimentary to all Disney Resort Guests and annual passholders (obviously the room key and DDP components will not be on MBs for them unless they're staying at a Disney Resort Hotel). MagicBands will, supposedly, come in a variety of colors. Day-guests can purchase MagicBands for an additional charge. All guests can choose to purchase "custom" MagicBand with such themes as PoTC, Star Wars, Disney Princesses, etc.... These bands are the mechanism for the touch-to-enter park admission entrances along with the touch-to-pay cash registers around property (for that you will need to assign yourself a PIN). Contrary to popular belief, the chips within the bands do NOT contain any personal information other than an ID number, which when pinged with Disney's system, accesses the needed information. These are also not available.

More information on MagicBands can be found on MouseMomx2's thread MagicBands 101.

My Disney Experience

Released in August 2012, the new My Disney Experience website and app will act as a link of sorts between the various platforms of MyMagic+. It's important to realize that, in order to use all of the features, one must have a Disney account. Online, a guest can link reservations (and, in the future, tickets) to their account. He or she can check park hours, entertainment/character schedules, attraction refurbishments, and use that info to create an itinerary. MDE also handles online check-in (now done 60 days in advance) and, at some point, will allow guests to make FP+ reservations. On the app, which serves as a successor to Mobile Magic, any logged-in guest (so doesn't have to be in the park) can view wait times, maps, entertainment schedules, dining reservations, and more. Of course, user can make ADRs with it also in addition to using the app to make FP+ changes on the fly. The app is available on the Apple App Store and the Android Google Play Store.

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) that some DISboard posters have asked.

When will MyMagic+ be available?

Currently, only the MDE app, touch-to-pay, touch-to-enter, and curbside check-in are available. While the official announcement back in Jan. said that the rollout would begin by "spring", that seems unlikely at this point. No announcement has been made about a new start date, but it seems that testing exclusive to Disney Resort Hotels will continue in to 2014.

How much does MyMagic+ cost to use?

Much of the program is free of charge, but certain things (like the MagicBands) may require a purchase to use if you're not staying onsite.

Does everyone have to use MyMagic+?

No, MyMagic+ will be entirely opt-in, for example you could still request a standard RFID-enbabled KTTW card at check-in in leu of a MagicBand, but it is unclear if current systems (like the standard FASTPASS service) will still be available.

What's going on with standard FASTPASS?

Standard FP still exists but availability is becoming more scarce by the days. On December 18, 2013, DAK did away with standard FP and MK will do the same on January 14. Standard FP remains available at Epcot and DHS (though that will surely change at some point).

I'm planning an upcoming trip; what should I do?

If you're staying offsite, plan which FP+s you'll choose and get there early. Those staying onsite should be sure to log on to My Disney Experience, customize MagicBands, and (within 60 days of arrival) reserve FP+s.

I'm staying onsite. Will I still get a Key to the World Card in addition to my MagicBand?

Originally, you were able to do this however a rollout removing KTTW cards is currently occurring at the Disney Resort Hotels. If you would still like a KTTW, you may request one in leu of MagicBands upon check-in but they will not allow you to hold both a MagicBand and a KTTW card. This is currently the case at Pop Century and the All-Star Resorts. Here's the KTTW removal schedule. Note those checking in on the day and onward will not receive KTTW cards.

Monday Jan. 6  Art of Animation Resort
Tuesday Jan. 7  Port Orleans Resort
Wednesday Jan. 8  Caribbean Beach Resort
Wednesday Jan. 8  Coronado Springs Resort
Thursday Jan. 9  Old Key West Resort
Thursday Jan 9  Saratoga Spring Resort
Friday Jan. 10  Wilderness Lodge
Monday Jan. 13  Beach Club
Monday Jan 13  Yacht Club
Tuesday Jan. 14  Animal Kingdom Lodge
Wednesday Jan. 15  BoardWalk Inn
Thursday, Jan. 16  Contemporary Resort
Friday Jan. 17  Grand Floridian Resort
Friday Jan 17  Polynesian Resort
Monday Jan. 20  Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground

Who will get to participate in MyMagic+?

Once fully rolled out, anyone who visits WDW will get to participate in one way or another. However, at this point, most testing is limited to guests of Disney Resort Hotels. At DAK and MK (starting Jan. 14) offsite guests may make day-of FP+s upon arriving at the park.

What about annual passholders?

Currently, if an AP holder books a stay at a Disney Resort Hotel, they will receive continued access to FP+ beyond their travel dates (the normal 60 day window) even if they've got a linked reservation or not. It is not known if this will continue.

What about DVC members?

It seems that DVC members will be treated basically the same as Disney Resort Hotel guests, but if they have APs, they will be treated also like AP holders.

Can I still enter the parks with an "old" ticket?

Yes, but expect longer lines to enter the parks, as most of each of the parks' turnstiles are now for RFID-tickets only. You can convert any "old" tickets to RFID-tickets at Guest Services at the front of the parks.

How will this affect other in-park guest services like the DAS and Rider Swap?

At this point, there's no indication either of these systems will be significantly changed to accommodate MyMagic+ and FP+.

What is this "tiering" thing that I'm hearing about with FP+?

"Tiering" is a new twist on FastPas+ at DHS and Epcot. Originally, you were able to select any three attractions in the park to FastPass however Disney has now divided the attractions into groups with most of the popular attractions being in tier one (which you can only select one attraction from) and the less popular ones in tier two (which you can select two from).

Are these MagicBands safe and secure?

They seem completely safe. Disney further explains this on THIS webpage.

I hear there's some testing of MyMagic+ going on now. Which resorts are participating?

All Disney Resort Hotels are now participating in testing. All guests of Disney Resort Hotels should have access to the system.

Currently Testing
Disneys Art of Animation Resort
Disneys Pop Century Resort
Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
Disneys Polynesian Resort
Disneys Contemporary Resort
Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House
Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House Villas
Disneys Yacht Club Resort
Disney's Beach Club Resort and Villas
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Kidani Village
Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter
Disney's Bay Lake Towers
Disney's All Star Movies
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Boardwalk inn and villas
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's All Star Sports
Disney's All Star Music
Disney's Old Key West Resort
Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Villas
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort
Disney's Fort Wilderness
Grand Floridian Villas

In the future, when will I receive my MagicBand?

As of now, Disney has said that, if given enough (that terms to seems yet to be defined) notice, Disney will deliver these custom bands to guests' homes. If not given enough time or guests opt not for the delivery, they can be picked up at your resort hotel upon check-in.

Can I "bling out" my MagicBand?

Would Disney ever leave a merchandising opportunity vacant? CoverBands (covers with different characters and themes for your entire MagicBand), MagicSliders (frames for the "Mickey circle" on your band), and MagicBandits (basically larger and cheaper pins for a MagicBand) will all be available at one point. They may also be available as part of some tests. For more info, see THIS WDWNT post.

Okay, I've been selected for one of these MyMagic+ tests. Which attractions should I reserve my FastPass+s for?

Well, there isn't a ton of advice on this yet, because the system is so new. That said, the very knowledgable and generally awesome Mesaboy2 has come up with excellent rankings for FP+ priorities. Again, this list was created by Mesa, NOT ME and the original thread can be found HERE. Here's how his ranking system works.

Ranking System:
NOTE: THIS LIST MAY NOT ENTIRELY BE UP TO DATE, SO IT IS ENCOURAGED THAT YOU CHECK THE ABOVE LINK FOR MORE UP-TO-DATE INFO. ADDITIONALLY, ALL QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS SHOULD BE POSTED IN MESA'S THREAD.
A - A must-get or risk waits of an hour or more.
B - Take it or leave it. Might make sense, depending on circumstances.
C - Chump. Rarely makes sense to get, but can also depend on circumstances.

*Attractions listed within the same priority group are in alphabetical order and not meant to suggest priority within the group.
Now, here are the rankings. Again, keep the the above in mind.

MAGIC KINGDOM

A - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
A - Enchanted Tales With Belle
A - Peter Pan's Flight
A - Space Mountain
A - Splash Mountain
B - Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
B - Haunted Mansion
B - Jungle Cruise
B - Main Street Electrical Parade *Does not always appear as an option
B - Meet Ariel at her Grotto
B - Meet Cinderella and a Princess Friend at Princess Fairytale Hall
B - Meet Rapunzel and a Princess Friend at Princess Fairytale Hall
B - Pirates of the Caribbean
B - The Barnstormer
B - The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
B - Tomorrowland Speedway
B - Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
C - Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade *Does not always appear as an option
C - Dumbo the Flying Elephant
C - It's a Small World
C - Mad Tea Party
C - Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater
C - Mickey's PhilharMagic
C - Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
C - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
C - Wishes *Does not always appear as an option

EPCOT

A - Soarin
A - Test Track
B - Maelstrom
B - Mission: Space
B - Turtle Talk With Crush
C - Captain EO
C - Illuminations: Reflections of Earth *Does not always appear as an option
C - Journey Into Imagination With Figment
C - Living with the Land
C - Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot
C - Spaceship Earth
C - The Seas with Nemo & Friends

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

A - Fantasmic *Does not always appear as an option
A - Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
A - The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
A - Toy Story Midway Mania
B - Star Tours
B - The Great Movie Ride
C - American Idol
C - Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage
C - Disney Junior - Live on Stage
C - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
C - Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
C - Muppet Vision 3D
C - Voyage of the Little Mermaid

ANIMAL KINGDOM

A - Expedition Everest
A - Kali River Rapids
A - Kilimanjaro Safaris
B - DINOSAUR
B - Festival of the Lion King
B - Finding Nemo
B - Primeval Whirl
C - It's Tough to be a Bug
C - Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost

Additional Notes

- FP+ will generally save more time when crowds are heavier. Therefore, it makes the most sense to choose FP+ windows in the afternoon and early evening--when crowds are at their daily peak.
- For the same reason, when park-hopping the best strategy is often to make FP+ selections in the second (or third) park each day. (The FP+ system currently allows selections in a single park only on any one day.)
More Information & Links

For those interested in some great in-depth MyMagic+ coverage, DISboards poster bcrook has an excellent site at crooksinwdw.wordpress.com. Also, DISboards poster doconeil has an awesome site at wdwuntangled.com. For the official Disney Parks Blog announcement from Tom Staggs (Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman), see THIS link.

Major DISboards Threads

News Stories and Articles
Recent MyMagic+ Tests

May 2012 - FP+ test where guests choose FP+ attractions for MK after exiting DME
September 2012 - FP+ test where guests chose FP+ attractions for MK at home on fastpassplus.disney.go.com.
December 2012 - Similar FP+ test to the September one except this test included DHS along with MK
4/12-4/13 - MagicBand and FP+ testing at Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park for guests at AKL
4/22-4/27 - Fantasmic! FASTPASS testing at DHS
4/29-5/3 - Celebrate a Dream Come True & Main Street Electrical Parade FASTPASS testing at MK
6/20-6/22 - Guest Test of MagicBands and MyMagic+ at Disney's Contemporary and Animal Kingdom Lodge Resorts
7/22-7/24 - DVC Member (and point renter) Test of MyMagic+ at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
11/14-11/19 - MagicBand-only testing at Pop Century Resort
August to December - Guest Test of MyMagic+ at various Disney Resorts
December onwards - FP+ becomes available to offsite guests as testing continues

MyMagic+ Development Timeline

2007 - Development on xPASS and NextGen begins
2009 - Bob Iger comments about NextGen and makes the world aware that it's being developed
Late 2009 - Mobile Magic is launched by Verizon
May 2012 - First official test of FP+ is conducted at MK
August 2012 - My Disney Experience app is launched
September 2012 - Second test of FP+ is conducted at MK; guests can reserve their ride times before leaving home online
December 2012 - Third test of FP is conducted just like September's but also at DHS in addition to MK; new DisneyWorld.com website is launched
January 2013 - Disney Parks executive Tom Staggs officially announces the program via the Disney Parks Blog
April 2013 - MagicBand and FP+ testing at Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park for guests at AKL; Fantasmic! FASTPASS testing at DHS; Celebrate a Dream Come True & Main Street Electrical Parade FASTPASS testing at MK
May 2013 - Tom Staggs, Disney Parks President, speaks about MyMagic+ at annual D11: All Things Digital conference
June 2013 - First official MagicBand and MyMagic+ test
July & August 2013 - More widespread testing of MyMagic+ components occurs
September or October 2013 - Slow Rollout of MyMagic+ begins
November 2013 onward - early rollout phases
December 18, 2013 - DAK gets rid of legacy FP and opens FP+ to all guests
January 14, 2013 - MK gets rid of legacy FP and opens FP+ to all guests

Thanks for keeping this great thread going!

There are a few minor tweaks to the priority list, if you're interested in capturing the latest version in your OP.

Ok So I have NOT read the old thread. So I apologize if this was discussed.

My DD is a CM and I am going to visit her in Oct. Our MB shipped and will be here today. So Can or how does she get access to FP+? Of course it won't let us reserve any because she nor my mom has tickets (DD is getting DM in with her pass) that can be linked.
I have AP so can link mine but it will be of no use since we would need all FP+ to be at the same time. lol

Any CM's have experience with the MB? Do we just wait and have my mom's comp ticket linked at the park? I have a feeling the FP+ options for us will be of no value this trip. lol
Thanks for any help!
28 days to go!!!

I thought MK got 4 FP+s? Idid last month but now im hearing of people who are only getting to select 3. Has it changed? This is for a nov. Trip..........

New question. If my DD5 has FP+ for repunzal, and I do not what happens? Obviously she can't wait in line alone, but I don't want to 'waste' my FP+ when I could use it for space mountain, which she can't ride. Anyone have official answer? Theoretical guess?

From old thread ^^^

This is something worth a call to Disney IMO. This brings up a great point. When you're limited on 3 FP+ a day, if they're going to "force" a parent to use one of those just to wait in line with a child to take a picture, that will really stink. On the old system you could easily get a FP to wait in line with your child, but also still have access to as many others as you wanted during the day.

Any CMs have an answer on this?

We got our Magic Bands two days ago and they are pretty cool!! I got the blue and my DH got the yellow. I've heard some people say that the blue is not the greatest, that it's kinda a neon blue but I don't see that at all. It's a very nice blue, not too dark, not too light! So anyone with reservations about the blue should definitely think about it if it's a favorite color! Of course, purple would have been even better (MY favorite color!) but that's another matter!!

As for the fit of the bands themselves...well, I am still undecided on that. When I first put it on I have to admit I didn't think it was all that comfortable. But after adjusting the size (I feel that the tighter the better) and wearing it around the house, it's kinda growing on me! For people with smaller wrists it's a bit annoying because the band pretty much wraps around your wrist twice but again, it's something that I think you have to get used to. For me, having just lost a ton of weight, the size of my wrists has gone down dramatically so pretty much everything that goes on my wrists is a new experience so we will just have to see!! I've also seen that people have cut theirs to size or taken off the grey part of the band. But I wouldn't do either of those until you give then a try first! Good luck everyone!!

I thought MK got 4 FP+s? Idid last month but now im hearing of people who are only getting to select 3. Has it changed? This is for a nov. Trip..........

I was only able to get 3 for Oct 26th through 29th.

I've also seen that people have cut theirs to size or taken off the grey part of the band. But I wouldn't do either of those until you give then a try first! Good luck everyone!!

I think that's what you're supposed to do with the grey band to make it smaller. I read that somewhere. I wouldn't cut it, I agree, but the grey band is meant to take off to make smaller, I thought.

From old thread ^^^

This is something worth a call to Disney IMO. This brings up a great point. When you're limited on 3 FP+ a day, if they're going to "force" a parent to use one of those just to wait in line with a child to take a picture, that will really stink. On the old system you could easily get a FP to wait in line with your child, but also still have access to as many others as you wanted during the day.

Any CMs have an answer on this?

I don't expect anything will change. A FP/FP+ will be required to get in the line, whether you are just a chaperone or not. Ripe for abuse otherwise.

Ok So I have NOT read the old thread. So I apologize if this was discussed.

My DD is a CM and I am going to visit her in Oct. Our MB shipped and will be here today. So Can or how does she get access to FP+? Of course it won't let us reserve any because she nor my mom has tickets (DD is getting DM in with her pass) that can be linked.
I have AP so can link mine but it will be of no use since we would need all FP+ to be at the same time. lol

Any CM's have experience with the MB? Do we just wait and have my mom's comp ticket linked at the park? I have a feeling the FP+ options for us will be of no value this trip. lol
Thanks for any help!
28 days to go!!!

From past reports, CM's Maingate/Silver/etc. passes do not work with MagicBands or Fastpass+ at all at this time.

Weird question: I'm 80% sure we'll be hitting the parks with the in-laws the last week of October. But due to his post-chemo health they may back out. If so, we'll cancel too and spend their anniversary with them at home.

My magicbands have already shipped. But I'm hesitant to add our APs to them. What if the bands are deactivated with the cancelled reservation? I don't want to deal with that hassle.

I know the bands continue to work on your next visit after utilizing them on a first, but what if you never get check into the hotel :(

Anyone have any experience with this?

Weird question: I'm 80% sure we'll be hitting the parks with the in-laws the last week of October. But due to his post-chemo health they may back out. If so, we'll cancel too and spend their anniversary with them at home.

My magicbands have already shipped. But I'm hesitant to add our APs to them. What if the bands are deactivated with the cancelled reservation? I don't want to deal with that hassle.

I know the bands continue to work on your next visit after utilizing them on a first, but what if you never get check into the hotel :(

Anyone have any experience with this?

Not sure too many at this point would know for sure, but you should have no issues. You'll still have the APs which should still work, the MagicBands can likely be used on a future trip, etc. - worst case is a stop at Guest Relations, which frankly happens occasionally when everything seems to go according to plan right now...

If you don't want to make FP+ selections at this point, then you don't need to link them anyways. But to make FP+ choices, they must be linked.

Not sure too many at this point would know for sure, but you should have no issues. You'll still have the APs which should still work, the MagicBands can likely be used on a future trip, etc. - worst case is a stop at Guest Relations, which frankly happens occasionally when everything seems to go according to plan right now...

If you don't want to make FP+ selections at this point, then you don't need to link them anyways. But to make FP+ choices, they must be linked.

Ok cool thanks. We're gonna wait on FP+ til we get the all-clear from the in-laws. I don't wanna purchase resident tickets in their name - tie them to a band & then not have them come. None of my family live in FL anymore so we won't have anyone else to pass the tickets to. Plus I dunno if you can de-link a ticket (even an unused one) from someone's band

I think that's what you're supposed to do with the grey band to make it smaller. I read that somewhere. I wouldn't cut it, I agree, but the grey band is meant to take off to make smaller, I thought.

Yeah you can take the grey off to make it smaller but once it's off there's no going back. You can't put it back ON if it's too small. That's why I would use your best judgement when deciding to do that. I think being able to remove the grey is meant for kids wrists for the most part. But it could also work for people with kid-size wrists. :)

I have been making my FP+ selections, and when I get to November 15th, I am unable to access the button to make selections for that day. Does that mean all the passes have been selected or will it open back up later? Anyone know?:crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter