New "Navigators"

Actually a question... for anyone that's sailed what happens when Disney's bad wifi isn't working great? No one on the ship has access to what's going on?

this is what I got when I emailed about this:
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for the email, great question we are not able to sent the information ahead of time but for dining they have paper menus and quest services can give you a print out of the navigator for the day.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

Have a Magical Day!

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for the email, great question we are not able to sent the information ahead of time but for dining they have paper menus and quest services can give you a print out of the navigator for the day.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

Have a Magical Day!
OMG who has a cruise this week and can check if this is true?!?! :love:

Dear Andrew,

Have a Magical Day!

Is this an email from DCL?

Virtue signaling?

I personally can care less if people know (I never tell people). I would prefer single use products/packaging be avoided as much as possible. I am simply stating why I personally will not support bringing back mass printing of navigators.

Additionally from Disney's view paper has been on the out for a while (along with many other companies). There has been a general push to remove single use where ever possible and everyone already has digital devices and they will be serving all information up digitally regardless.

The big issue right now is the UI/UX designers for DCL are not the greatest. If they produced a more digestible app there would be even fewer people complaining.

Luxury in my mind means they should be even more capable of removing as much waste and pollution as possible. Heck DCL is built on the concept these days that it is more environmentally friendly than other cruise lines.

Truth be told, the app could be the greatest ever built and there would still be guests complaining. Some people are just not happy if they're not complaining about something.

I just got off the Dream on Sept 27th and I saw tables getting paper menus to look at when they asked on our sailing. I can’t help with asking for a Navigator.

I got paper menus everywhere that I dined on the 9/20 Dream cruise, too. But GS wouldn't give me a paper navigator. Maybe they're just bringing them back now? Or else the email is wrong.

Dear Andrew,

I will definitely test this when I sail the Magic in two weeks. I will also request paper menus at dinner, just like I do at Disney World.

My cruise is scheduled to stop at Nassau, so I'll report back on whether any paper port ads are left in the stateroom, too. Since I believe no post-Covid cruise has yet stopped anywhere besides Castaway Cay, the jury's still out on that one.

Honestly, I don't see how they can demand that everyone use their phone. What if you lose or break your phone, or it doesn't have smart features? Those people are essentially cut off from cruise activities unless they go all the way back to their stateroom TVs to take notes? (And I believe I read that the stateroom notepads are gone, anyway.) That isn't good customer service. DCL should have paper backups available at the front desk for those who want/need them. That is a good compromise.

Last edited:
• I would finish one event, realize there was something fun that I could make in the next 15 minutes…BUT what I don’t realize… it would NOT END before the thing I really wanted to not miss before dinner. We would never find a seat together if I go late or find my parents in the crowd. Of course I often realize this midway through and don’t want appear rude and walk out of somebody’s program.

Without the paper it makes it more difficult for diverging interests. Without the paper(color-coded highlighters of yellow, orange, green for different people) it was so disappointing because we kept missing stuff for someone. There’s no easy long-range view on the phone. And forgot about color coding for different people. And sometimes you need to read description…ugh, how do I get back to that last screen? Hold on it’s still downloading…

We've sailed RCCL twice and this is what irked me the most. They had a ice skating rink which offered a skating show, only once on a 5 night cruise, and it overlapped our dinner in MDR. I personally believe this is intentional because they offer so many optional/pay per use restaurants. DCL understands that people want to be able to eat dinner AND see the show, and they make accommodations so that everyone can do both.

Trying to look up activities on a small screen is time consuming and often frustrating. I think a good compromise is to have a simple, single page grid of all activities available at GS the night before. It doesn't need to be fancy or in color. For those who want one they can have it, for those who are happy to use the app, don't have to feel the paper is wasted on them by delivery to their cabin.

I remember as a kid when grocery stores only used paper bags. When plastic bags were introduced, it was to "save the trees." Dh is almost 10 years older than me and as a child in school, kids were told that an ice-age is coming and that's why they should do xyz, to help save the planet.

If you live long enough, you see the stories evolve.

To each his own, but I thought the Navigator app was far easier to use than the old paper ones. My complaint about the app was that the messaging was so unreliable. Sometimes we wouldn't get notifications for hours, so there is no way on board to reach someone right away.

We need to bring that uproar back. Everyone who dislikes the lack of paper navigators needs to comment on it when we cruise, or even before, by emailing DCL.

Best of luck with that... People have been trying that ever since they took them away. You can make as much of an "uproar" as you want but it seems like they are content with the decision not to have them. I will say that the new version on the TV's is far more similar to the paper navigator than the app is.

To each his own, but I thought the Navigator app was far easier to use than the old paper ones. My complaint about the app was that the messaging was so unreliable. Sometimes we wouldn't get notifications for hours, so there is no way on board to reach someone right away.

The notifications came through immediately for messaging on the app when we were on board last month on the Fantasy. Cant say that's the same for all of the ships but it was much better than before. Maybe check your notification settings?

Best of luck with that... People have been trying that ever since they took them away. You can make as much of an "uproar" as you want but it seems like they are content with the decision not to have them. I will say that the new version on the TV's is far more similar to the paper navigator than the app is.

The notifications came through immediately for messaging on the app when we were on board last month on the Fantasy. Cant say that's the same for all of the ships but it was much better than before. Maybe check your notification settings?
Based on conversations I had, it seemed to be a broad problem. I got notifications for upcoming activities pretty much every time. It was just the messenger portion of the app.

Based on conversations I had, it seemed to be a broad problem. I got notifications for upcoming activities pretty much every time. It was just the messenger portion of the app.

That's a bummer to hear. It worked pretty well for us although we typically use iMessage/have iPhones so usually we don't have to use the messaging on the app too much.

Somehow your "best of luck" comment seems insincere... :rolleyes1

They've only been sailing for two months since Covid. Pre-Covid, they did provide the paper navigators at the front desk. And the PP got an email from DCL saying they would still be available at the front desk. It doesn't seem like the lost cause you assume it to be.

Somehow your "best of luck" comment seems insincere... :rolleyes1

They've only been sailing for two months since Covid. Pre-Covid, they did provide the paper navigators at the front desk. And the PP got an email from DCL saying they would still be available at the front desk. It doesn't seem like the lost cause you assume it to be.

Only moderately insincere. I would hope if you still want the paper ones, they can offer them at Guest services. They took away the daily deliveries of them away so long ago that I would never count on that coming back.

Personally, I never even bothered to look at the paper ones when they were delivered to the room and they went right into the recycling bin.

I got off the Dream on Friday. I was told there are no more paper navigators. I think the activities are more sparse and a paper navigator would look empty compared to how it used to look pre-Covid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter