New Orleans Recommendations

OhioStateBuckeye

DIS Veteran
So we'll be doing a roadtrip in early May.

We will be driving through New Orleans and we will be able to stop for a few hours. Does anyone have recommendations for cafes/restaurants or something to sightsee that will only take an hour or two?

We are 2 adults, no kids.

It takes a while to get into the best parts of the city. Time of day when you expect to be there can have an effect too.

I would probably head into the French Quarter, find a place to eat and just wander around a bit. There are good on-line maps and lists of destinations for the city such as neworleanscvb.com

Last edited:

If you want to sample the famous beignets, you have to go to Cafe Du Monde!

For a lunch or dinner, if you're in the mood for world famous fried chicken, go to Willie Mae's Scotch House. Fun fact: Obama ate here.
If you don't want fried chicken and would perhaps maybe rather go with some creole, go to Jacques-Imo Cafe. I had biscuits and gravy, and a bouillabaisse, which was just ridiculous (they put a bib on me because I was slurping it like a pig).

For sightseeing, there is a really, really nice war museum but no way you can see it in 1 or 2 hours (need at least half a day). There are also gator swamp tours but need a bit more time. So what you may want to consider is checking out the Oak Alley Plantation (one of the most famous around).

I would recommend finding a parking garage for the car and just walk around the French Quarter. You could also ride the street car out St. Charles Ave to see some of the houses/architecture of the Garden District. For lunch or supper, you could try The Gumbo Shop at 630 St. Peter or K-Paul's at 416 Charters (Paul Prudhomme's restaurant). Gumbo Shop is more relaxed, almost a cafe-type atmosphere, whereas K-Paul's is a traditional restaurant. If you don't want to go into the craziness of the city proper, you should check out some of the plantations in the area.

We were just there a few weeks ago to tour Tulane. We ate lunch at Antoine's in the Quarter. For lunch, they have a three course meal for $20.17 and 25 cent cocktails (although I think you can only buy three at .25) Maybe you could have the driver's cocktails too! It was a fun lunch and it's a historic restaurant too.

Park next to the old Jax Brewery and walk around the Quarter. You can have a meal at Cafe Maspero (or any number of great restaurants down there), visit the cathedral and the river (and maybe the French Market), and enjoy some beignets.

At least, that's what I would do. :goodvibes

I was going to suggest Antoine's for a meal or Cafe du Monde for a snack. Since you'll only be there for a couple of hours, I would just walk around Jackson Square and along the riverwalk.

Following along. We will be in the French Quarter on July 4th for a few nights.

Another vote for Cafe du Monde, then wandering around the French Quarter (it's right across the street). You could also go to Napoleon House, inside the Quarter, for a muffaletta. They're delicious and reasonably-priced!

My favorite bar in the country was in New Orleans, but it shut down. A super cool Russian bar called Pravda. Great vodka and absinthe lists. You chased the vodka with pickles, just like the motherland:)

Seriously, Court of Two Sisters - great taste of New Orleans.

If you want to sample the famous beignets, you have to go to Cafe Du Monde!

For a lunch or dinner, if you're in the mood for world famous fried chicken, go to Willie Mae's Scotch House. Fun fact: Obama ate here.

We only discovered Willie Mae's on our most recent trip. I dream about that fried chicken

OP, if you're only looking at an hour or two, I would suggest, like many others, beignets at Café Du Monde and walking around Jackson Square and down Bourbon St

I live in New Orleans and have been here for 50 years.

If it is just a drive thru I would recommend Joey K's on magazine or Pascal Manales on Napoleon. There are many, many other great places -but they might take a little more time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter