New Orleans Square replacing Frontierland?

I myself love Frontier Land and would hate to see it go. I just think it allows Disney to make changes, and move on from some things that are perceived as problematic, while freshening things up and making things a little more relevant.

I think you can make that whole area around the splash queue/exit a bit of a different vibe without it being totally out of place. I’m very interested to see what they do, but changing the entire land to match one new attraction seems ridiculous and super unlikely

Exactly what I was thinking. It doesn't need much, but when you go down thsoe stairs, you can enter the Bayou. They can have the ride, a beignet stand, and the exit shop, and maybe a nice poto-op. Strong theming is all it would take.

I myself love Frontier Land and would hate to see it go. I just think it allows Disney to make changes, and move on from some things that are perceived as problematic, while freshening things up and making things a little more relevant.

There's nothing wrong with Frontierland though. What they need to do is lean into a more fantistical "old west" vibe, like they do in Disneyland Paris. Big Thunder already has a story about ghosts. Heck, just build a new version of Phantom Manor and call it a day. 😁

No no, they can't take Pecos Bills. You have to keep it under the bridge to include Big Thunder. This area can be The Bayou:

View attachment 754005
I mean, it’s their park, they can mostly do whatever they want with it. Lol

The existing kitchen structure at Pecos Bill vs having to build all new would be why I would suggest the other option. There’s already been rumors about Pecos Bill getting a retheme floated out there as is.

The existing kitchen structure at Pecos Bill vs having to build all new would be why I would suggest the other option. There’s already been rumors about Pecos Bill getting a retheme floated out there as is.

And I said they can't have it. It's too classic and too close to teh CBJ. They can rename it to Country Bears cafe or something, but making it Tiana's Place would not be cool. Unless they bring back the nacho cheese pumps - then I might let them slide on it.

I seem to recall that when WDW was built, Frontierland was a deliberate choice over New Orleans Square because NOLA (and to some extent, Charleston, which looks similar to it) were close enough geographically to Orlando that it was thought that far more guests would have been to the real thing, and wouldn't be impressed. They thought that "the West" would be more novel for the average visitor.

The thing is, if you've actually been to the Louisiana salt domes, you know that they are really nowhere near New Orleans (the nearest town to the largest one is actually Napoleonville, which is 75 miles from New Orleans, and is pretty tiny; the population is around 500. Avery Island's more famous dome is nearer to the somewhat larger town of New Iberia, which is twice as far from New Orleans.) Most of the area where the salt domes are is bayou, kudzu, and 2-lane country roads; it really is near-wilderness for the most part, but with oil wells dotted around every few miles like giant mechanized grasshoppers.

Disney could just slightly de-Westernize the buildings to make them look more generically 19th century "country", then change the name to something that implies "wilderness," and I think all bases would be covered.
I get where you and WDW were coming from with the proximity to Charleston and NOLA, but then they built an entire resort themed around NOLA so I think that excuse goes out the window.

You guys! I got it! Incorporate Pirates to a New Orleans square land along with Tianas ride. Pirates is a really good fit for this (think Caribbean influences to NOLA culture). Tortuga tavern—-to Tianas restaurant. And golden oak to beignet stand. No one cares about tortuga tavern anyways (ok well I don’t). It’s perfect!

No no, they can't take Pecos Bills. You have to keep it under the bridge to include Big Thunder. This area can be The Bayou:

View attachment 754005

I think you can feasibly put a restaurant in that cluster of buildings in the above screenshot. You can reroute the exit and have a bunch of space that is super underutilized currently. Granted, it’s way easier to redo an existing restaurant, but adding more places to eat would be beneficial considering how busy the park is

There's nothing wrong with Frontierland though. What they need to do is lean into a more fantistical "old west" vibe, like they do in Disneyland Paris. Big Thunder already has a story about ghosts. Heck, just build a new version of Phantom Manor and call it a day. 😁
I could go for a Phantom Cavern, spooky mining attraction behind BTMRR, what's not to love? 👻 Kinda like thetown at the end of Phantom Manor. No need for the actual Manor tho haah

I think you can feasibly put a restaurant in that cluster of buildings in the above screenshot. You can reroute the exit and have a bunch of space that is super underutilized currently. Granted, it’s way easier to redo an existing restaurant, but adding more places to eat would be beneficial considering how busy the park is
Yes, it depends upon what their long term plan is. For the opening of the attraction they could as @BrianL suggests make that area the Bayou and add a Beignet stand. As time goes on they could expand and add a restaurant in that area.

If they wanted to try and have a quick service and a stand done by attraction opening then a retheme of Pecos Bill would seem more logical as far as construction timeframe considering how long it takes them to build new restaurants.

Last edited:
Yes, it depends upon what their long term plan is. For the opening of the attraction they could as @BrianL suggests make that area the Bayou and add a Beignet stand. As time goes on they could expand and add a restaurant in that area.

If they wanted to try and have a quick service and a stand done by attraction opening then a retheme of Pecos Bill would seem more logical as far as construction timeframe considering how long it takes them to build new restaurants.
Yeah I’d imagine anything substantial to meet opening day would’ve had to be already actively being worked on. Which I guess we don’t know what’s happening behind the walls since we can’t get back there, but nothings been announced yet.

I think ultimately peco bill’s gets rethemed because it’s much easier and cheaper to do in the big picture

Yeah I’d imagine anything substantial to meet opening day would’ve had to be already actively being worked on. Which I guess we don’t know what’s happening behind the walls since we can’t get back there, but nothings been announced yet.

I think ultimately peco bill’s gets rethemed because it’s much easier and cheaper to do in the big picture

Yeah, but easier and cheaper is also not as good.

So dumb.
Soon they will get rid of Tom Sawyers island and then it’s not even Disney anymore.

Whatever they do, I just hope WDW doesn't job CBJ. I really love golden era WDW and tearing CBJ out would make me sad. I could see a New Orleans Square themed area between POTC and TIANA, but keeping and expanding Frontierland would seem like a smart option.

I'm still on board with a Coco themed coaster with a bed a flowers beneath you and it could be set in Santa Cecilia (?) type styled land area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter