New Orleans

slpeters

DIS Veteran
So we are planning a trip to New Orleans in the late Spring. I've been a couple times but quite a while ago. My husband's never been. Anyone been more recently who would care to share any recommendations--activities, restaurants, hotels?

We enjoy the New Orleans School Of Cooking demo class. We always attend the 10:00 am demonstration which also includes lunch. https://neworleansschoolofcooking.com

Breakfast at Cafe du Monde is also a must. The beignets are great.

A ride on the St. Charles Street street car through the Garden District is enjoyable.

You might like the 2 hour paddlewheel boat cruise on The Mississippi.

Over the last 50 years I have visited New Orleans about 35 times. I have always stayed in the French Quarter and walk to most places. The hotel prices can be very high during special events or large conventions.

Some of the restaurants we have enjoyed are: Mothers, Acme Oyster House, Deanie's Seafood Restaurant, The Gumbo Shop and a somewhat expensive restaurant we like is Galatoires. The Court of Two Sisters have a nice jazz brunch.

A drink in the Pat O'briens courtyard is also a must for us.

Last edited:
We recently visited and stayed in the French Quarter. The location was very convenient but the noise was too much for me. Our hotel was very expensive and we got very little sleep with people yelling in the hallways through the night. Next time we visit, we will likely stay in the garden district which is significantly cheaper and much quieter. The downside is that the nightlife is not within walking distance.

I second Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets.

On our last trip, our best meal was Arnaud's. So good! Be sure to ask your server about the little Mardi Gras museum upstairs.

I'll second Mother's. Try the debris poboy!

I've had some really good luck using Priceline for New Orleans hotels. I tend to use Uber to get around a good bit, even when I have driven. There is a trick to getting around the Quarter at times.

I am from NOLA.

Stay at The Roosevelt if you can. Visit the WWII museum--it's a MUST DO.

Eat at Court of Two Sisters for Sunday jazz brunch.

City Park --NOMA always a great way to spend some time.

I see people recommending Mother's, but I just can't. It's overrated. The best poboys can be found at Parkway Bakery.

So we are planning a trip to New Orleans in the late Spring. I've been a couple times but quite a while ago. My husband's never been. Anyone been more recently who would care to share any recommendations--activities, restaurants, hotels?

From the area, and our #1 must do is Cafe du monde on the river for beignets and coffee - also spend time on the Riverwalk itself.

Court of Two Sisters, also Mike Anderson Seafood for dining.

Ride the St Charles St. route streetcar through the Garden District.

Dh loves the World War 2 museum and could spend 1/2 to all day there.

Stroll through the French Quarter area and shops.

Last edited:
We are also planning on visiting, and have chosen the Roosevelt as our hotel. It’s a little further out than some, but within walking distance to the French Quarter. Newly refurbished from what I’ve read, and has a lot of history, plus a bar with jazz playing in the evening. We also considered the Omni Royal Orleans, which is more central, but the perks we got booking the Roosevelt really pushed us in that direction.

I am from NOLA.

Stay at The Roosevelt if you can. Visit the WWII museum--it's a MUST DO.

Eat at Court of Two Sisters for Sunday jazz brunch.

City Park --NOMA always a great way to spend some time.

I see people recommending Mother's, but I just can't. It's overrated. The best poboys can be found at Parkway Bakery.
I’ll add College Inn if you plan to venture past the French qrtr. They have the best fried oyster poboy in the city (Imo), but not everyone likes oysters.

In addition to what's already been said, a couple things you may consider just outside of the city:

1) Gator tour on an airboat - This was actually the highlight of the trip for me

2) Visit the Oak Alley Plantation (about an hour outside New Orleans). Very beautiful plantation and it was actually one of the sites used for the filming of "Interview with the Vampire."

Visit the World War II museum. Amazing. We spent two hours there and could have stayed longer, but had to meet friends.

I was just in New Orleans for a work trip. I didn't get nearly as much time as I would have liked since I only had limited free time but it was a lot of fun. I would recommend trying alligator while you are there. It is delicious. Also a word of caution about Cafe du Monde which I do agree is a must do. If you just order the coffee it is a late. I wanted just black coffee and had to send it back.

If you are a runner I took the light rail (can't forget what they called it) up to City Park and it was a very nice run.

Ok, this thread has me thinking it's time to take a family trip to Nola. How many days is good there? Kids range from 13-20....very few family vacations left for us and I'm still too used to little kid vacations....

ETA, oldest turns twenty-one this week. God help me. Why I'm thinking New Orleans now, I don't know. LOL

I agree with the alligator tour. We did one out of Slidell in October. One of the coolest thing we have ever done on vacation. Very reasonably priced too.

I took two of my three kids by myself when we dropped DH off in Alabama to coach at a football camp a few summers ago.

DD was 13 and DS was 11 1/2 and we all LOVED it. We all want to go back. We were there for 3 days, stayed at the Omni Riverfront Hotel - it was beautiful and right across the street from the Riverwalk and last stop of the riverfront rail, which took us right along the river to the FQ area. It was so easy to get around!

We did a ghost tour, which was so fun and the tour guide was so interesting - there was no way we would have learned everything we did about the history of NOLA without doing that tour! We rode the light rail through the Garden District, but it was POURING rain, so it was hard to see and it was HOT in the cars since we needed to keep the windows up or get drenched.

The best part of our trip was going to MS Rau Antiques on Royal street - ask to see the "secret room", and don't be afraid to explore every inch of the store. There will be back rooms, and staircases, hallways, etc that look like customers shouldn't be entering, but you can! And if you do go - be sure to ask to see the secret room! It's a MUST.

We stayed at the Hyatt just a few steps from Bourbon St.
Next time, we would stay closer to the waterfront.
We enjoyed our horse drawn trolley tour and of course Cafe Dumonde and the 4th of July dueling barges on the river shooting off fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter