NEW ORLEANS

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
We’ve never been and are looking for ideas for things to do. Any hotel suggestions - budget, but in a good area? Will a rental car be needed?

It really depends on what you want to do. Check Expedia and such for deals.

The French Quarter is free and you can find live music everywhere. You shouldn't need a rental car and they do charge parking fees at the hotels downtown.

The WWII museum is a must do. I tell everyone this.

There is a good aquarium and insectorium in the french quarter next to the river. The insectorium also has a very cool butterfly room you can walk around inside

Following this thread! We are starting to plan a long weekend trip to NOLA with a couple that we're close with, none of us has ever been before.

Suggestions on what time of year is good to visit? We are SUPER flexible since it's just a long weekend trip. We definitely want to avoid Mardi Gras time frame though.

Following this thread! We are starting to plan a long weekend trip to NOLA with a couple that we're close with, none of us has ever been before.

Suggestions on what time of year is good to visit? We are SUPER flexible since it's just a long weekend trip. We definitely want to avoid Mardi Gras time frame though.

April is busy, but we have great weather.

My husband and I were just there at the end of October. We stayed at the Renaissance New Orleans Arts Warehouse District hotel. It was the perfect location. He was there for a conference so during the day I could explore. I felt very safe walking in this area. It's a short walk to the waterfront (shopping and riverboats), the WWII museum, French Quarter, the street car stops. We did not have a car (took an uber from the airport). We relied on walking and the trolly to get us places. Our absolute favorite was riding the street cars. They sell a pass for just a few dollars and you can jump on and of. The Saint Charles Line was our absolute favorite and we took a second trip on it. You can ride it to the end and then jump back on to come back to town. We also loved Mother's Restaurant! They have the best ham! We ate there several times on our trip. I keep talking about how we need to get back to ride the street cars and eat at Mothers! Since we were there a few days before Halloween, many of the houses on the green line were all spooked up! One of the cemeteries was just a short walk from one of the stops as well!

I'll be going the first week of November with my best friend an am super excited. We are flying in, not renting a car, and will rely on walking and the street cars to get around. We will be splurging a bit so we can stay in the French Quarter. That will make it easier for us!

I've always really liked the French Market Inn. It's so close to Jackson Square and the Riverwalk/aquarium area.

Go to Mardi Gras World-maybe one of the better tours we have done. We did Uber/Lyft and did not rent a car for 4 days. So much to do, we were impressed during our first visit last Feb. Our hotel was the Hyatt Place near the Superdome. Couldn't beat the price of $96 a night and it was Rock and Roll Marathon weekend-less than a half mile from the start/finish of the 5K and near the start for the half marathon. We probably would not stay there if the focus was Bourbon St, just a bit too far to walk, but an Uber was only $7. We did the HOHO bus tour to acclimate ourselves to the area. The stop was around the corner in front of the Hyatt next door. We'll return next year for the race again.

Husbands family is from there. We just came back from there this past weekend. April has gorgeous weather, lots of people but not as many as Mardi Gras. definitely do French quarter with family and cafe Dumonde. All day street car pass is 3.00. Stay in a hotel near street car and you will never have to Uber, drive. visit the Audubon zoo, aquarium, riverfront, Jackson square. My kids did not want to leave, they love the laid back, fun atmosphere of all the streets and shops. uptown has beautiful neighborhoods and good restaurants to eat at too.

I was there the last weekend of January for a quick 48 hour trip. I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone which was absolutely beautiful. The weather was perfect coming from the cold north. I didn’t get to see/do nearly as much as I would have liked to do so I am looking to take a trip back soon.

We enjoyed the cemetery and tour of the Garden district.

We did an alligator tour in Slidell. It was great.

Hotel Royal if it’s just two adults. I like to stay in the French Quarter. You don’t want to rent a car as there is very limited parking.

Agree with most people above re a car, you definitely don't need one.

I stayed in the Cambria Hotel in the Central Business District and it was amazing, lovely rooms and fab location. I also really loved just wandering around the Garden District (you can get the trolley from near the FQ). Also, I much preferred Frenchman Street to Bourbon Street but it really depends on your style.

There's amazing frozen Irish coffee from Molly's at the Market in the FQ, honestly it's incredible I had three in one day!

Also recommend the graveyard tours that are available and we went on a really fun tour with FreeWheelin' Bike Tours, it was great fun - the host was super funny and informative and we got beignets in the park and it was one of my favourite ever 'excursions'.

On our only visit to New Orleans, we stayed at the Hyatt Centric which was just a few steps to Bourbon St.
We had a nice stay in a poolside room but next time we will stay closer to the waterfront. Bourbon St is just not our cup of tea.
We enjoyed some early morning walks to photograph the architecture.
The horse drawn trolley tour was a nice way to get an overview of the area before setting off on foot in the heat.
Our visit was on 4th of July and the dueling fireworks barges on the waterfront were quite a treat!
Bring plenty of small bills that you can have handy in front pocket for the street musicians so you are not fishing out your wallet on the street.
So many great restaurants!
Enjoy your trip!

I went to college in New Orleans and fell in love with the city. I lived all over the US (and sometimes in Australia and London), but made many trips to New Orleans each year. I've stayed in so many hotels - but after retirement bought a condo there.

One can get good rates at the Hampton Inn on St. Charles and a Best Western on St. Charles which is next door to the Hampton. Sometimes free parking and free breakfast. Right on the streetcar line so one does not have to have a car.

I seldom go on Bourbon unless to a specific restaurant. So much other things to do and see.

We stayed at the Quarter House. It was quite a while ago, maybe 10 years. It was a timeshare trade, so I’m not sure on the normal rates. The room itself was two bedrooms and GORGEOUS. I think the rooms might vary, they seemed to try to decorate each room differently, at least the two bedrooms actually had names. The rooms had exposed brick, I think there was a rain shower. There wasn’t much in the way of amenities, but we were there to see the sights.

I did enjoy my time in New Orleans, but it was a one and done for me. I definitely would dissuade you from staying near Bourbon St, there was a distinct unpleasant smell the closer we got to it. I did at some points feel unsafe. I’ve been to a lot of major cities, and I felt the most uneasy in New Orleans.

We went in May and it was very hot and humid, and I’m from the south! Disney World has nothing on New Orleans humidity.

I enjoyed taking the streetcar through the old neighborhoods the most. The food was overall very good, we only had one mediocre meal.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter