New Orleans

wvjules

DIS Veteran
We are off the week between Christmas and New Years so we decided to go to NO. I've been so wrapped up in my upcoming WDW trip that I have not thought about NO at all. So...any suggestions? Things not to miss, places to eat. Best beignets?

We are going from Dec 26-30 and staying at the Intercontinental near the French Quarter.

We are off the week between Christmas and New Years so we decided to go to NO. I've been so wrapped up in my upcoming WDW trip that I have not thought about NO at all. So...any suggestions? Things not to miss, places to eat. Best beignets?

We are going from Dec 26-30 and staying at the Intercontinental near the French Quarter.
While probably not the best beignets you should go to Cafe du Monde. Yes it is a bit of a tourist trap but who cares it is fun. Preservation Hall. Commander's Palace; Herbsait, Couchon, Dooky Chase (all places I want to eat).

We will be in NOLA in December. I agree with going to Cafe du Monde and looking into dining at Commander's Palace. We very much enjoy the Jazz brunch buffett at The Court Of Two Sisters in the courtyard. Great atmosphere and good food. You might take a street car trip down St. Charles Street which goes through the Garden District. A drink in the courtyard at Pat O'Brien's is relaxing. If you have time you might go to the New Orleans School Of Cooking, google the site and see if it sounds good.

DH was there in October, and says if you want a sketchy dive bar (beer and shots only), go to the Howlin' Wolf. It's over by the convention center (sketchy area, according to DH), but he had an amazing time there. They had music on some nights. Sunday nights, they have a local brass band that is great.

He stayed mainly convention center area, and there are a lot of good food places there. He says he can't remember the name of the place that he thought was amazing (maybe someone who lives there might know). It's in a garage, with a brewery and ice cream; about a mile from the cc.

Definitely go to Pat O'Brien's for a drink. The courtyard has a flaming fountain at night! Best beignets IMO are at Cafe Beignet. There are great dive bars throughout the French Quarter. Avoid Bourbon Street. The garden district is lovely - you can take the street car out there. Zoo and Aquarium are wonderful. And I second the recommendation of New Orleans School of Cooking - it was such a fun experience!

DH and I took our 22 and 24 year olds to New Orleans for Christmas 2022. We arrived very late on Christmas Eve and left the afternoon of the 29th (right as all the Sugar Bowl fans started trickling in) because our kids wanted to celebrate NYE with their friends at home.

We had a terrific time!!! Some things were closed on Christmas Day (and restrooms were very hard to find), so make reservations in advance (which we did), or you may not have places to eat your meals. Christmas morning we had a nice breakfast at Curio, went to Christmas Mass at St Louis Cathedral, walked around Jackson Square, stopped at an open restaurant (Landry’s Seafood House) for drinks and to use the restroom, had an early dinner at Tujagues, and went to Pat O’Brien’s courtyard right when they opened at 6:00 pm for hurricanes. What a Christmas Day!

On other days we took the trolly through the Garden District, went to a Saints game at the Superdome, took a walking tour of St Louis Cemetery #1, got lucky and saw a second-line parade on Bourbon Street, took a horse & carriage tour of the city (awesome), shopped, ate and drank! We ate at the Gumbo Shop, Muriel’s, Bourbon House, Court of Two Sisters, Cafe Beignet on Bourbon St (line at Cafe du Monde was always waaaay too long for us), Mothers, and at Turtle Bay (little neighborhood bar on Decatur St near our condo at the Hotel de la Monnaie - great location at the edge of the French Quarter and near all the music on Frenchmen Street).

We flew, so we didn’t have a car. We took a taxi to and from the airport as the taxis have a set price, and it was cheaper than Uber or shuttles. Once in the French Quarter, we walked, Ubered or rode the street cars. The French Market street car stop was right across from our hotel, but it was not running when we were there. They were still repairing the damage from a big storm months before. I think it’s running again now.

The weather was amazing. It wasn’t too hot or too cold. I’d say it was high 60s to mid 70s the whole time and it only rained once one evening.

DH and I can’t wait to go back! There are so many other restaurants we want to try and things we want to do! Our big kids loved it too and want to go again with their friends!

ETA: Here are some additional holiday things in New Orleans that I researched that we just missed or ran out of time to do. Bon fires on the levee, Reveillon dinners, midnight Mass, Celebration in the Oaks.

Here is another thread with even more information about holiday events:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...ed-miles-to-do-instead.3890769/#post-64178012

The French Quarter is one of my favorite places in the world! Check out the Chart Room for the best dive bar I've ever visited, Pat O'Brien's patio, Felix's Oyster Bar, and the Carousel Bar. Have fun!

one other thing if you are looking for something to do outside of the city. It is a bit silly but do a swamp tour if you can. Also while Bourbon Street is crazy and nuts, I would spend at least a few minutes there just to experience and then go somewhere else. :)

Ye Old College inn & Rockin’ Bowl is fun. College Inn food is delicious. City park has Celebration in the Oaks. It’s a Christmas event. None of those are in the quarter. You’ll have to Uber or take a taxi.

I vote skip Pat O’Brien’s because the drinks are just not good and there are SO MANY good bars in NOLA! Carousel Bar is a must. Herbsaint for dinner is a must. We also had a great time at Arnaud’s and toured their Mardi Gras Museum after dinner, cool story and history.

If you want some art and culture check out the Bywater neighborhood and Music Box Village.

Cafe du Monde and Central Grocery (for a Muffuletta) might be tourist traps but they’re actually delicious.

I vote skip Pat O’Brien’s because the drinks are just not good and there are SO MANY good bars in NOLA! Carousel Bar is a must. Herbsaint for dinner is a must. We also had a great time at Arnaud’s and toured their Mardi Gras Museum after dinner, cool story and history.

If you want some art and culture check out the Bywater neighborhood and Music Box Village.

Cafe du Monde and Central Grocery (for a Muffuletta) might be tourist traps but they’re actually delicious.
Yeah cafe du monde are still the best imo. Be careful in the bywater though. Be careful everywhere but more so there.

The French Quarter is one of my favorite places in the world! Check out the Chart Room for the best dive bar I've ever visited, Pat O'Brien's patio, Felix's Oyster Bar, and the Carousel Bar. Have fun!
Oh my gosh, I forgot about the Chart Room! Yes, best dive bar! Oh man this thread is making me want to go back to NO so bad

One interesting thing I did in New Orleans was visit Old Absinthe House on Bourbon Street. I was very interested in trying Absinthe and I love the taste of black licorice.

Anyway, it is a very interesting bar and different from other things on Bourbon Street for sure.

We were there for 4 days years ago when it was summer and visited Blaine Kern’s Mardis Gras World, the Zoo, aquarium, Cafe du Monde, French market, the cathedral and museums around it in the French Quarter, visited a cemetery, took a swamp tour, rode a streetcar around, walked a few minutes down Bourbon Street, and took a carriage ride.

Last edited:
Ditto Commander's Palace. Probably my favorite restaurant in the world. Have the Shrimp & Tasso Hennican for an appetizer and the bread pudding souffle' for desert. Brennan's for the best Bananas Foster in the world - you'll be tempted to lick the plate.

If you're into history, take the riverboat down to Chalmette Battlefield to see where Andrew Jackson held off the British in the war of 1812. The Cabildo Museum has a wealth of Louisiana history and artifacts. A nice day trip is touring the River Road plantations nearby. View Oak Alley from the road looking toward the house.

Hi! I live in New Orleans, across the street from the French Quarter. I see you've already gotten a million suggestions, and all of them are fantastic!

Basically, what it comes down to is this: You have exactly zero time, compared to the sheer number of things to do. But in a way, that works to your advantage. Because one of the biggest things that makes this city special is that all you have to do is walk out the front door with an open mind, and fun and excitement will find you. And it's never what you expect.

Example: One night I was wandering around by myself, and I went down to the Moonwalk, which is the walking path that runs along the river. It had just closed for the evening, so I couldn't go up the steps. But standing in front of the steps was a lone saxophone player, an elderly Black gentleman who was extremely talented. It was lightly raining, more of a mist. There was a full moon over the river, with clouds rushing by in front of it. And the gentleman's music was hypnotic. I swear in that moment, the entire modern world fell away, and I was transported back to the 1800s. We shared probably 15 minutes of time, him playing and me swaying to the music. Then I tipped him and we went our separate ways.

Those are the types of memories you want to make on your first trip to New Orleans. And you will only find them by following your heart and living in the moment. Not by sticking to an itinerary. That said, there are a few things you won't want to miss. The biggest one is Jackson Square. It's the center of the French Quarter, originally the hanging grounds and now a park/pedestrian area/free speech zone. St. Louis Cathedral is there (the oldest cathedral in continual use in the US), and WELL worth taking a look. It's flanked by the Cabildo and the Presbytere, both extremely important historical buildings that are part of the Louisiana State Museum complex (closed on Mondays). A little ways around the Square is the 1850 House, if you're interested in historic home museums. But you'll want to spend most of your time in the Square just absorbing the cultural life of the city. During the day you'll find mimes and visual artists of every description. At night, you'll find tarot readers and ghost/vampire tours. And you'll also find just the most interesting and eclectic collection of natives and tourists having fabulous spontaneous conversations....and quite likely a brass band or two.

Across Decatur Street from the Square is Cafe du Monde. It's the original home of beignets in the city, open continually (24 hours/day) since 1862 (except for Christmas Day and occasional hurricanes). Do NOT miss it. And the aforementioned Moonwalk is next to Cafe du Monde. It's a great place to take a stroll along the river.

If you're into it, you might consider a ghost or vampire tour from Haunted History (they're the most historical and best researched). They also have a 5-in-1 that gives you a little bit of everything. And if you REALLY want to go to a museum or whatever (and we do have some great ones!) head over to neworleans.com and take your pick. But I'd make Jackson Square and its environs your main planned location, and spend the rest of your time just wandering the Quarter and seeing what comes your way. You can't go more than a block without tripping over an excellent restaurant or a cool neighborhood bar or a fun shop. Go to Bourbon Street once, take pictures, and then get off it. Huge tourist trap, and not at all reflective of this city. If you want live music, ask someone to point you to Frenchmen Street--that's where the locals go.

Bring cash, including a collection of one dollar bills. Some places still don't take cards, and you'll want to tip the various street performers. Keep an open mind, and just have fun. It's hard to get a bad meal or have a bad time in this town.

Any more specific questions, I'm happy to help!

Ditto Commander's Palace. Probably my favorite restaurant in the world. Have the Shrimp & Tasso Hennican for an appetizer and the bread pudding souffle' for desert. Brennan's for the best Bananas Foster in the world - you'll be tempted to lick the plate.

If you're into history, take the riverboat down to Chalmette Battlefield to see where Andrew Jackson held off the British in the war of 1812. The Cabildo Museum has a wealth of Louisiana history and artifacts. A nice day trip is touring the River Road plantations nearby. View Oak Alley from the road looking toward the house.
I agree about Commanders! And cool suggestion about Chalmette battlefield. That’s stuff I forget about & take for granted living here.

Another vote for Cafe Du Monde. We are history nuts in this family and NO has sooo much history. The National WWII Museum in NO is one of the best in the country.

You should also find some bread pudding while you're there. For some reason, it tastes 100x better than anywhere else. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter