New Orleans

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
I'm taking 2 mid-teens and a 22 yr old to New Orleans in a few days. The teens are good travelers and used to hanging out with adults. They don't need activities aimed at entertaining kids but I do want to find a few things that are more appealing to the older-teen/young 20 crowd. Can anyone recommend a specific ghost tour and a specific airboat swamp tour? There are so many and I don't want to just pick if someone might have personal experience. Any other suggestions? We'll be in the French Quarter are and ideally I don't want to drive around if possible.
Any bar suggestions that I can take my 22 yr old to and won't be an issue to have the teens with us?

Honestly...I'll be thrilled with any tips/suggestions. This is a new destination and since it's last minute I don't have a lot of time to research and make plans.

Thanks!

Just walking around New Orleans is fun. I recommend Cafe Beignet for beignets and going to Jackson Square to see the street artists and street theater. My kids got tarot card readings and really enjoyed it. I also recommend taking the St. Charles streetcar from the French Quarter to the Garden District. If you're into history the WWII Museum is incredible. It's huge though and takes a long time to go through.

I live in New Orleans, and it sounds like you have all the right ideas for a great trip with your kids! For a ghost tour, you'll want to go with Haunted History. They're the best, most well researched, and most fun. All of their tours are fantastic, but for your first trip you might consider the 5-in-1. It touches on everything from ghosts to vampires to voodoo, and serves as a great introduction. You can always do a second more in-depth tour if something specific catches your attention. https://hauntedhistorytours.com/our-tours/

As for bars, legally people under 21 can enter bars in the city as long as they don't go up TO the bar itself. But at a table or whatever is fine. There are a few places that have chosen to go 21+, but they'll have an obvious sign on the door. DO NOT MISS Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar. It's the oldest bar in the country, built in the 1720s, at the corner of Bourbon and St. Philip. They're open pretty much 24 hours, and they've only added as much electricity as absolutely required. Everything is still candlelit and kinda spooky at night, and there's a great piano player in the back in the evenings.

Definitely visit Jackson Square both during the day for the visual artists and at night for the tarot readers. Get beignets at Cafe du Monde across the street, open 24/7 since 1862 except Christmas Day and the occasional hurricane. And walk down to the French Market, just a couple of blocks from there.

Also make time for Frenchmen Street. Basically, you'll walk all the way down Decatur (the road by the river by the river) and cross Esplanade, and you'll be on Frenchmen. It's what Bourbon Street used to be, with tons of live music and great food and locals hanging out. There's a night market on Frenchmen that I think your crew would LOVE!

Otherwise, just enjoy walking around. There is SO much to see and do, and just walking out your front door can be an adventure if you're open to it. Have fun!!

@JLTraveling How safe do you feel Frenchmen Street is? My sis and BIL live in Gretna- in fact, we are heading down on Wednesday for a week. I've heard lots of interesting things about Frenchmen Street, but they are hesitant. My sister is in a wheelchair, so she always feels like she is a sitting duck when it comes to crime; they tend to stick to areas of the Quarter with which they are more familiar. Not that I am complaining about our plans, which so far include tea at Windsor Court, brunch at Two Sisters, dinner at Domenica (BIL's request for his birthday), and we are frequent visitors to hotel lobby lounges, but it might be fun to try something new. SO... Two men (60s and 50s) and two women (Sis in her 50s, in a wheelchair, and me, 50s, rehabbing a knee injury so on one crutch)- do you think we'd be OK on Frenchmen Street?

I'm taking 2 mid-teens and a 22 yr old to New Orleans in a few days. The teens are good travelers and used to hanging out with adults. They don't need activities aimed at entertaining kids but I do want to find a few things that are more appealing to the older-teen/young 20 crowd. Can anyone recommend a specific ghost tour and a specific airboat swamp tour? There are so many and I don't want to just pick if someone might have personal experience. Any other suggestions? We'll be in the French Quarter are and ideally I don't want to drive around if possible.
Any bar suggestions that I can take my 22 yr old to and won't be an issue to have the teens with us?

Honestly...I'll be thrilled with any tips/suggestions. This is a new destination and since it's last minute I don't have a lot of time to research and make plans.

Thanks!

I live in New Orleans, and it sounds like you have all the right ideas for a great trip with your kids! For a ghost tour, you'll want to go with Haunted History. They're the best, most well researched, and most fun. All of their tours are fantastic, but for your first trip you might consider the 5-in-1. It touches on everything from ghosts to vampires to voodoo, and serves as a great introduction. You can always do a second more in-depth tour if something specific catches your attention. https://hauntedhistorytours.com/our-tours/

As for bars, legally people under 21 can enter bars in the city as long as they don't go up TO the bar itself. But at a table or whatever is fine. There are a few places that have chosen to go 21+, but they'll have an obvious sign on the door. DO NOT MISS Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar. It's the oldest bar in the country, built in the 1720s, at the corner of Bourbon and St. Philip. They're open pretty much 24 hours, and they've only added as much electricity as absolutely required. Everything is still candlelit and kinda spooky at night, and there's a great piano player in the back in the evenings.

Definitely visit Jackson Square both during the day for the visual artists and at night for the tarot readers. Get beignets at Cafe du Monde across the street, open 24/7 since 1862 except Christmas Day and the occasional hurricane. And walk down to the French Market, just a couple of blocks from there.

Also make time for Frenchmen Street. Basically, you'll walk all the way down Decatur (the road by the river by the river) and cross Esplanade, and you'll be on Frenchmen. It's what Bourbon Street used to be, with tons of live music and great food and locals hanging out. There's a night market on Frenchmen that I think your crew would LOVE!

Otherwise, just enjoy walking around. There is SO much to see and do, and just walking out your front door can be an adventure if you're open to it. Have fun!!
Where is the best place to get gumbo?

@JLTraveling How safe do you feel Frenchmen Street is? My sis and BIL live in Gretna- in fact, we are heading down on Wednesday for a week. I've heard lots of interesting things about Frenchmen Street, but they are hesitant. My sister is in a wheelchair, so she always feels like she is a sitting duck when it comes to crime; they tend to stick to areas of the Quarter with which they are more familiar. Not that I am complaining about our plans, which so far include tea at Windsor Court, brunch at Two Sisters, dinner at Domenica (BIL's request for his birthday), and we are frequent visitors to hotel lobby lounges, but it might be fun to try something new. SO... Two men (60s and 50s) and two women (Sis in her 50s, in a wheelchair, and me, 50s, rehabbing a knee injury so on one crutch)- do you think we'd be OK on Frenchmen Street?

Perfectly safe (or as safe as you can be anywhere). It's literally where the locals hang out (along with in-the-know tourists). Crowds generally aren't quite as big as in the Quarter (a good thing in my book), but there's always a ton of people around and the vibe is very similar to the good parts of the Quarter (not Bourbon Street). Same basic precautions as you'd take in the Quarter or any other city, and I think you'd be just fine. It's really a fun area, and just as compact/walkable. Don't miss the night market https://www.palacemarketnola.com/ and if you want a snack or casual meal Dat Dog is insanely good.

In other news, your itinerary sounds amazing. I am in love with both Two Sisters and Domenica. Haven't tried tea at Windsor Court, but I hear really good things. Have fun!

Where is the best place to get gumbo?
Literally anywhere. But I'm kind of partial to the seafood gumbo at Coop's Place on Decatur.

I didn't know about the Night Market and that is absolutely something we will love!

2 more questions...

(1) Fri Jan 6 is the first night of Mardi Gras. There are supposed to be 2 parades, I believe. Any tips on seeing these? Or other things that might be going on with the start that day?

(2) I'm trying to decide how much cash I need. I'm a bit uncomfortable carrying too much but I'm concerned about tips and some places not taking credit cards....like the artists and the market. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Jess

You didn’t ask me, but I would be careful in the Marigny. My Neighbor is currently still there right now waiting for police dept b/c their car got broken into whole they were eating brunch today at 11am! My mil has mobility issues & I would definitely not be down there with with her. Is the sister in the wheelchair the one who lives in Gretna? If so, I would trust her gut on where is safe to go for y’all.

I didn't know about the Night Market and that is absolutely something we will love!

2 more questions...

(1) Fri Jan 6 is the first night of Mardi Gras. There are supposed to be 2 parades, I believe. Any tips on seeing these? Or other things that might be going on with the start that day?

(2) I'm trying to decide how much cash I need. I'm a bit uncomfortable carrying too much but I'm concerned about tips and some places not taking credit cards....like the artists and the market. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Jess

So there are actually 4 parades on Jan 6, and you can likely catch three of them. The two in the French Quarter are walking parades. What you'll want to do is focus on Joan of Arc. It starts on Bienville, which is two blocks from Canal Street, at 7pm (roughly, we're on New Orleans time here, which means things happen "whenever). Go ahead and watch most or all of it from the corner of Bienville and Chartres. Then walk the two blocks to Canal Street and find the streetcar line between Royal and Bourbon. The two uptown parades that night are actually streetcar parades, so you'll be able to watch right from there. Parades tend to be LONG, so you can actually catch more than you think in a single night. I'd skip the Champs Elysees parade though. It's fabulous, but it's way on the other side of the Quarter, so you'd miss the streetcar parades.

As for cash, you're right. You will definitely need some, likely more than you think, as a surprising number of places don't take cards. And a fair amount of small bills, as you'll want to tip the street performers you come across. Fortunately though, there are ATMs everywhere. Bit of a surcharge at the corner stores and bars, but there's also a Capitol One bank in the Quarter, as well as a Walgreens, a CVS, and a Rouses grocery store. So lots of opportunities to get cash, including cash back with purchases. I'd start everyone out with maybe $40 each (one 20, a 10 and the rest singles) and then get more when you have a handle on how much you're going through.

So there are actually 4 parades on Jan 6, and you can likely catch three of them. The two in the French Quarter are walking parades. What you'll want to do is focus on Joan of Arc. It starts on Bienville, which is two blocks from Canal Street, at 7pm (roughly, we're on New Orleans time here, which means things happen "whenever). Go ahead and watch most or all of it from the corner of Bienville and Chartres. Then walk the two blocks to Canal Street and find the streetcar line between Royal and Bourbon. The two uptown parades that night are actually streetcar parades, so you'll be able to watch right from there. Parades tend to be LONG, so you can actually catch more than you think in a single night. I'd skip the Champs Elysees parade though. It's fabulous, but it's way on the other side of the Quarter, so you'd miss the streetcar parades.

As for cash, you're right. You will definitely need some, likely more than you think, as a surprising number of places don't take cards. And a fair amount of small bills, as you'll want to tip the street performers you come across. Fortunately though, there are ATMs everywhere. Bit of a surcharge at the corner stores and bars, but there's also a Capitol One bank in the Quarter, as well as a Walgreens, a CVS, and a Rouses grocery store. So lots of opportunities to get cash, including cash back with purchases. I'd start everyone out with maybe $40 each (one 20, a 10 and the rest singles) and then get more when you have a handle on how much you're going through.

Thank you... What exactly is a streetcar parade? I feel like this is going to be a dumb, 'captain obvious' question but...lol

Also...roughly how much time ahead of the parade do we need to get a spot to see?

You didn’t ask me, but I would be careful in the Marigny. My Neighbor is currently still there right now waiting for police dept b/c their car got broken into whole they were eating brunch today at 11am! My mil has mobility issues & I would definitely not be down there with with her. Is the sister in the wheelchair the one who lives in Gretna? If so, I would trust her gut on where is safe to go for y’all.
Are you kidding me? There's been a rash of car break-ins all over the city. Mine was broken into in the 7th Ward two days before Christmas. So what? It's a city. Crime happens. She already said that they're going into the Quarter, and Frenchmen is effectively a spillover from the Quarter. Strongest police presence in the entire city is in the tourist areas, including Frenchmen.

Leebee, no offense to your sister. But I would NOT trust Gretna's gut over somebody who lives IN the city and is down on Frenchmen all the time.

Thank you... What exactly is a streetcar parade? I feel like this is going to be a dumb, 'captain obvious' question but...lol

Also...roughly how much time ahead of the parade do we need to get a spot to see?
Oh gosh, sorry! I should have explained! We have these really cool old streetcars here, and the streetcar parades are literally ON the streetcars. They open the windows and throw beads and stuff as they pass by.

As far as when to get there, it honestly depends on how you like to do parades. You can stake out spots an hour or more in advance (which some people definitely do), or you can wander up right before it starts. They're not like Disney parades, where everyone tends to stay put the whole time (especially since like I said, they're LONG). People come and go and the crowd shifts around, and it's easy enough to just sort of maneuver your way into a spot you like.

These aren't AS long as the ones on Mardi Gras Day, but just to give you an idea: One Mardi Gras I got down to the Zulu parade (one of the two most popular of all) about an hour after it started, and easily made my way down to the front of the crowd, right by the floats, so I could get a Zulu coconut (they literally hollow out coconuts and then hand paint them, it's the most treasured throw of all). Stayed there for a bit, then backed out of the crowd for a while, wash rinse repeat. So either way is fine.

Perfectly safe (or as safe as you can be anywhere). It's literally where the locals hang out (along with in-the-know tourists). Crowds generally aren't quite as big as in the Quarter (a good thing in my book), but there's always a ton of people around and the vibe is very similar to the good parts of the Quarter (not Bourbon Street). Same basic precautions as you'd take in the Quarter or any other city, and I think you'd be just fine. It's really a fun area, and just as compact/walkable. Don't miss the night market https://www.palacemarketnola.com/ and if you want a snack or casual meal Dat Dog is insanely good.

In other news, your itinerary sounds amazing. I am in love with both Two Sisters and Domenica. Haven't tried tea at Windsor Court, but I hear really good things. Have fun!

Literally anywhere. But I'm kind of partial to the seafood gumbo at Coop's Place on Decatur.
I don’t know. I think you seem a little more adventurous than the typical local especially compared to ppl who live in Gretna.

I’ll be visiting for Easter. Are there any special activities in the city for those days? We won’t have a car (plan to use the street cars and are willing to Uber somewhere if needed)

Are you kidding me? There's been a rash of car break-ins all over the city. Mine was broken into in the 7th Ward two days before Christmas. So what? It's a city. Crime happens. She already said that they're going into the Quarter, and Frenchmen is effectively a spillover from the Quarter. Strongest police presence in the entire city is in the tourist areas, including Frenchmen.

Leebee, no offense to your sister. But I would NOT trust Gretna's gut over somebody who lives IN the city and is down on Frenchmen all the time.
I guess that’s exactly it. I wouldn’t live in the 7th ward either. I’m just thinking someone who lives in Gretna might think similarly. I am like a 6th generation New Orleanian & am very familiar with many different areas of the city & including the more suburban areas. I am just thinking if they live in gretna for a reason (like many do), their comfort level with those areas may be different than yours.

Eta: I do think day time is fine though @leebee

Oh gosh, sorry! I should have explained! We have these really cool old streetcars here, and the streetcar parades are literally ON the streetcars. They open the windows and throw beads and stuff as they pass by.

As far as when to get there, it honestly depends on how you like to do parades. You can stake out spots an hour or more in advance (which some people definitely do), or you can wander up right before it starts. They're not like Disney parades, where everyone tends to stay put the whole time (especially since like I said, they're LONG). People come and go and the crowd shifts around, and it's easy enough to just sort of maneuver your way into a spot you like.

These aren't AS long as the ones on Mardi Gras Day, but just to give you an idea: One Mardi Gras I got down to the Zulu parade (one of the two most popular of all) about an hour after it started, and easily made my way down to the front of the crowd, right by the floats, so I could get a Zulu coconut (they literally hollow out coconuts and then hand paint them, it's the most treasured throw of all). Stayed there for a bit, then backed out of the crowd for a while, wash rinse repeat. So either way is

These aren't AS long as the ones on Mardi Gras Day, but just to give you an idea: One Mardi Gras I got down to the Zulu parade (one of the two most popular of all) about an hour after it started, and easily made my way down to the front of the crowd, right by the floats, so I could get a Zulu coconut (they literally hollow out coconuts and then hand paint them, it's the most treasured throw of all). Stayed there for a bit, then backed out of the crowd for a while, wash rinse repeat. So either way is fine.
You have been so helpful. Thank you!

I'm never sure if my sis is overly cautious because she is handicapped or if there really IS a reason to be concerned about crime. For the record, they lived IN various parts of New Orleans for 8 years while in college/undergrad (Loyola and Tulane). They decided to move out to Gretna when they bought their house.

I guess that’s exactly it. I wouldn’t live in the 7th ward either. I’m just thinking someone who lives in Gretna might think similarly. I am like a 6th generation New Orleanian & am very familiar with many different areas of the city & including the more suburban areas. I am just thinking if they live in gretna for a reason (like many do), their comfort level with those areas may be different than yours.

Eta: I do think day time is fine though @leebee
Congrats on your bowl game win!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter