New Owner .... how to book a Disney Cruise on-line

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can only book though MS for cruises. Call MS, choose the option for the Disney Collection, and then the option for the cruises.
You can find the points charts on the member website.
Most people on the DISBoards will say to not use your points for cruise, they will recommend that you rent the points then pay cash for the crusies. I am not one of those; I do not like dealing with the possible negatives of renting.

In terms of booking, that has been answered... Has to be done with a call to Member Services. A couple of other little things to note.

DVC Member Services is acting as your travel agent when you book a cruise on points, so any changes to the reservation have to be made through them. You can use the Disney Cruise Line web site to view your reservation, do online check-in, book port adventures etc.; but changes to the actual reservation such as adding insurance and transfers, changing names etc. have to be made through DVC Member Services.

The Cruise Point Charts do not list the Concierge category rooms, but you can book these with points, (based on availability, of course). Just call Member Services and they will provide you with the amount of points required for a certain cabin on a certain date.

You can look at availability to some extent using the Disney Cruise Line web site to see availability to the general public. However, DVC has a limited number of cabins available on each cruise, so it is certainly possible to see availability on a certain cruise on the DCL website, but find out it cannot be booked with points when you call MS.

You can book a cruise using cash by calling Member services, you may be required to book one person per cabin with points, the rest of the occupants can be paid with cash. However this would generally be a waste of money, as DVC cash prices are an agreed upon rate set far in advance with the cruise line, and it is historically very close to a "Rack" rate. You would likely see cash prices on the DCL site that are far below the DVC cash rate, unless you are trying to book at the last minute and/or looking at a nearly sold out cruise. Also, when paying with cash through DVC, the full cash amount is due when the reservation is made. There is no deposit/Paid in Full date system when paying for cruises with cash through DVC.

All this said, we have taken the majority of our cruises using points. There is a lot of debate on the boards as to whether this is a good value, but we have found that we don't want to go to the "World" and stay in a DVC resort every year, and we don't want to rent them out for our own reasons. So using our points for cruises has allowed us to take a lot of cruises that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to take. The perceived value is all in the eyes of the owner.

All this said, we have taken the majority of our cruises using points. There is a lot of debate on the boards as to whether this is a good value, but we have found that we don't want to go to the "World" and stay in a DVC resort every year, and we don't want to rent them out for our own reasons. So using our points for cruises has allowed us to take a lot of cruises that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to take. The perceived value is all in the eyes of the owner.

Could not agree more! We are DCL Platinum members thanks to the DVC! And heading out for a two week Panama Canal crossing soon.

also platinum DCL thanks to DVC

I'm not clear on how DVC made you a platinum DCL customer. Did DVC save you money which enabled you to cruise more often? Could you be a platinum guest by paying cash?

I wouldn't want prospective DVC buyers to jump to the wrong conclusion.

:earsboy: Bill

I was just seconding what one of the previous posters said. I would not have taken over 10 cruises without DVC. So yes DVC saved me money because for me paying $95 for a transfer fee beats paying thousands of dollars in cash. just as other posters said, I am not into the whole renting thing in order to get a "better deal". I bought this timeshare to enjoy it as I am sure most others have as well. This is just how I choose to enjoy it. and obviously I am not alone. When booking the latest cruise the wait time for member services was almost two hours because new dates had opened up. the day before member services was there until 9:00 pm making DCL reservations when they officially closed at 7:00.

I do not understand how using DVC for the cruise will give perspective buyers the wrong conclusion. As I said previously I did not buy DVC with an investment in mind. I bought it with the idea I want to use it to take vacations. As a previous poster said the perceived value is in the eye of the beholder

I was just seconding what one of the previous posters said. I would not have taken over 10 cruises without DVC. So yes DVC saved me money because for me paying $95 for a transfer fee beats paying thousands of dollars in cash. just as other posters said, I am not into the whole renting thing in order to get a "better deal". I bought this timeshare to enjoy it as I am sure most others have as well. This is just how I choose to enjoy it. and obviously I am not alone. When booking the latest cruise the wait time for member services was almost two hours because new dates had opened up. the day before member services was there until 9:00 pm making DCL reservations when they officially closed at 7:00.

I do not understand how using DVC for the cruise will give perspective buyers the wrong conclusion. As I said previously I did not buy DVC with an investment in mind. I bought it with the idea I want to use it to take vacations. As a previous poster said the perceived value is in the eye of the beholder

Using DVC points for a cruise may wok for you and others but the reality is you are paying a premium to use your points for anything other than DVC resorts.

Others reading may think that using points for a cruise is at a discount of some kind which it is not. Your statement that DVC allowed you to achieve platinum status could be miss leading because DVC had little to do with it other than you using your points. The cost of buying your points, dues, booking fee should all be considered when looking at the cost of using points.

I am glad that using points for a cruise works for you and yes perceived value is in the eye of the beholder.

We stay in a 1 bedroom with only 2 people, best use of points, no way but that is how we like to use our points just like you love to cruise.

There will come a time when we won't want to do WDW as often as we do now. I will definitely use my points for some wonderful cruises. We've been owners for nearly two decades....we've added on often, some through DVC until we learned about resale. That being said, those buying resale now should be made aware that you can no longer use your points for cruises (we got in under the wire). However, they could rent them and purchase a cruise. I am in the camp of not renting out my points, except to family or people I know. I sure would like to live until the end year of my contracts. Have gotten so much enjoyment out of my membership.

I should clarify....as long as one buys their points directly from DVC they can use them for cruises.

Using DVC points for a cruise may wok for you and others but the reality is you are paying a premium to use your points for anything other than DVC resorts.

Others reading may think that using points for a cruise is at a discount of some kind which it is not. Your statement that DVC allowed you to achieve platinum status could be miss leading because DVC had little to do with it other than you using your points. The cost of buying your points, dues, booking fee should all be considered when looking at the cost of using points.

I am glad that using points for a cruise works for you and yes perceived value is in the eye of the beholder.

We stay in a 1 bedroom with only 2 people, best use of points, no way but that is how we like to use our points just like you love to cruise.

again paying a premium for using points for anything other than DVC is in the eye of the beholder. you could also say there is a cost to renting points out to get the cash for a cruise or something else as well. the cost may not be monetary but in time and potential drama. Please do not assume to know that my statement of achieving platinum status is misleading. it is NOT. I definitely would not have taken that many cruises if I did not belong to DVC. So yes in my case DVC is the only reason I have taken that many cruises.
I always here people talk about how using the points for the cruise is a bad idea because it is not a cost effective use of the points. I wonder what the true cost of the points are at a DVC resort is after you factor in the cost of the park tickets and food. if you are going to compare it should be apples to apples. The cruise is basically all inclusive. I would bet after factoring in the park costs the cost per point is closer than you think

Others reading may think that using points for a cruise is at a discount of some kind which it is not. Your statement that DVC allowed you to achieve platinum status could be miss leading because DVC had little to do with it other than you using your points.

I did not notice anyone on this thread asking if DVC members got discounts when booking with points until you threw it into the mix :rolleyes:. DVC had everything to do with many of us reaching Platinum status. Forking over cash for over 11 cruises to destinations around the world is expensive and not possible for many of us. My family got to places that they may have never seen in their life if it had not been for DVC. I understand that many look at points with dollar values. The whole point of buying points was to prepay future vacations at todays or the time when memberships were started costs.. We still go to WDW at least twice a year and love it. But if DVC only offered WDW we may not have bought in back in 1998.

but the reality is you are paying a premium to use your points for anything other than DVC resorts.

And this statement makes no sense what so ever! DVC has hundreds of options of what you can use points for. RCI, DCL, Concierge Collection, Adventures by Disney. Those are viable options once the kids leave the nest.

We seem to be drifting offf-topic.

Since the OP's questions have been answered, I am going to close this thread. For those who want to discuss the merits of cruising on points, please feel free to do so in this thread:

Using Points for the DVC "Collections"

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter