New power chair and conversion van

brady961

Pal Mickey pal
I am so excited I have finally rec'd my new Q600 power chair with rehab seating. Well actually got it about two weeks ago. Haven't been able to use it out of the house as no ramp to get it out.

However, I went to Voc Rehab for assistance as for me to continue my career/job I needed a conversion van, ramp, sidewalk, etc.....

Although it has taken months to finally get all that I need, things are about done.

Contractors put in sidewalk yesterday. Ramp arrived today by UPS. Contractors will install ramp, extend door landing, put off set hinges on inside doors tomorrow.

I have a loaner conversion van as I couldn't coordinate with van company to get mine this week.

So Monday they come get my power chair to take back to install ezlock system.

Then return MY new van and power chair by Thurs, possibly Wed.

So by tomorrow all I needed at home will be done. Which I can use my power chair tomorrow night to meet another Diser for dinner at WDW and then over to Epoct. Finally will get to use my chair outside the home.

Then by next week will have MY van, and chair to visit WDW-POP Fri thru Sun with friends coming down.

Finally after what seems like forever I am going to have the devices that I have waited for months to get.

Pal Mick and plush Minn are excited about the new power chair as well, They have a new basket to sit in and ride with me to the parks.:goodvibes

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooray! I know what a great feeling that is. If you see a lady on a vent with a black labrador service dog in the parks, it's me...so feel free to say hello! I have a Permobil C500. I'll post when I finally get my adapted Element- as you know it takes a long time to install that kind of equipment. They're doing the mock-ups for my EMC interface soon so they can figure where to put everything. There's nothing like the feeling of freedom when you've been without it so go and enjoy yourself! Woo hoo!---Kathy

Congratulations.

If you have not had an Ezlock system before, you will love it. We had it for my DD's old power wheelchair. She got a new power wheelchair about a month ago and we have not had it re-vamped to the new chair.
It's so nice to just pull the wheelchair into place and not have to bother with it.
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

thanks everyone. Kathy for sure will look out for you as well hope you look out for me. maybe one day we could schedule a time to meet at the parks.

hoping with the cooling vest I can actually go some this summer which I normally avoid due to heat. Crowds ok for me as I don't have to do anything but find shade, and people watch LOL. But the heat grrrrrrrr. I think the cooling vest is going to help though.

Sue, in the loaner van i have retractable tie downs. what a pain in the ...... So I know I am going to enjoy the ezlock system. just drive into bracket, and im locked down HOORAY!!!

If anyone is ever visiting the parks and would like to meet even to just say hi, let me know. I live like 30 mins from the parks.

Also anyone going on any cruises esp ones I'm on would love to meet. even better be cool to get as many of us possible on one cruise. we could race up/down halls and decks LOL.

YEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

:cool1: :banana: :cool1:

I am so happy to hear that it is all working out for you! I know having the new chair, ramps & the van is going to make things so much easier for you! I had subscribed to the old thread & was waiting for some news, but had forgotten to check in here.

I hope the vest works out well too!:goodvibes

Isn't the EZ lock system cool?!:thumbsup2

p.s. We are still driving that stinky smoky rental van, while the driving controls are being installed in our van. My DH calls them every Monday to check on progress, I'm sure they are not thrilled with that, but if we don't stay on top of it no one else will. I can't drive the rental van for very long, we drove across town over the weekend & I had an asthma attack. Can't get rid of the smoke odor in it. But we'll have our van back in a month or so. Again, glad to hear things are going well! Enjoy dinner at WDW & your visit next week!:goodvibes

YEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!

:cool1: :banana: :cool1:

I am so happy to hear that it is all working out for you! I know having the new chair, ramps & the van is going to make things so much easier for you! I had subscribed to the old thread & was waiting for some news, but had forgotten to check in here.

I hope the vest works out well too!:goodvibes

Isn't the EZ lock system cool?!:thumbsup2

p.s. We are still driving that stinky smoky rental van, while the driving controls are being installed in our van. My DH calls them every Monday to check on progress, I'm sure they are not thrilled with that, but if we don't stay on top of it no one else will. I can't drive the rental van for very long, we drove across town over the weekend & I had an asthma attack. Can't get rid of the smoke odor in it. But we'll have our van back in a month or so. Again, glad to hear things are going well! Enjoy dinner at WDW & your visit next week!:goodvibes

Thanks. I couldn't find the other thread I started on this so just started a new one :goodvibes

Sorry to hear still haven't gotten your van back. And definitely call every day if have to, as that is unfort how things work. I made contact weekly with VR, then van company and contractor.

It's like if you don't contact them they think you don't need it, or aren't in any hurry etc....

I made sure they all knew I needed everything NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotfl:

So I am sure VR, van company, contractor will be glad when things are done, so to get rid of me pestering them :thumbsup2

Keep me posted.

And good luck.

I am going to use the power chair for the first time tonight at WDW-Cape May for dinner then to Epcot.

I wondering how many people, displays etc.... I will take out tonight :rotfl2:

Since I have only used it in my two room apartment, and its much bigger then I expected, etc.......... I know I will be taking someone or something out tonight :lmao:

Well I have "I'm sorry" all loaded, and bringing lots of extras with me tonight. :goodvibes

I am going to use the power chair for the first time tonight at WDW-Cape May for dinner then to Epcot.

I wondering how many people, displays etc.... I will take out tonight :rotfl2:

Since I have only used it in my two room apartment, and its much bigger then I expected, etc.......... I know I will be taking someone or something out tonight :lmao:

Well I have "I'm sorry" all loaded, and bringing lots of extras with me tonight. :goodvibes

:rotfl2: I'm sure you'll do fine! Have fun!:)

Ok I used the power chair at WDW-Epcot but first we had dinner at Cape May. Just made it to Epcot in time for Davy Jones last performance for the night.

I didn't take ONE person or display out. Close but not all the way LOL.

Chair worked great. I have a lot of practicing to do before really feeling confident. But am pleased on how well i operated it tonight at dinner and Epcot.

Thanks everyone for your congrats, support and encouragement.

Soon you won't even notice the chair- it will become a part of your body. People are always amazed that I can turn, back up, etc. in such a long chair and not hit anything, but it's because the chair is now part of my personal space. I had a piece mounted to hold a laptop though and scraped doorways on that side for a few hours until that part became "me" also. I'm sure this will be the case for you in a short time. It's almost like getting used to new eyeglasses- doesn't take too long before you adapt. I look forward to "running into" you in the parks, and I know *you* know that wasn't a literal meaning. I don't stay out long in the summer either because of Skye and her paws/black fur getting too hot in the sun. ---Kathy

Soon you won't even notice the chair- it will become a part of your body. People are always amazed that I can turn, back up, etc. in such a long chair and not hit anything, but it's because the chair is now part of my personal space. I had a piece mounted to hold a laptop though and scraped doorways on that side for a few hours until that part became "me" also. I'm sure this will be the case for you in a short time. It's almost like getting used to new eyeglasses- doesn't take too long before you adapt. I look forward to "running into" you in the parks, and I know *you* know that wasn't a literal meaning. I don't stay out long in the summer either because of Skye and her paws/black fur getting too hot in the sun. ---Kathy
My DD got a new chair about a month ago. She has had to get used to it turning a little differently besides it not being 'her' yet.
She was so good with her old chair that if she had a space 2-3 inches wider than her chair, she would be able to 'wiggle' her way thru. The new chair is going to take a little longer to get used to.

Ok I used the power chair at WDW-Epcot but first we had dinner at Cape May. Just made it to Epcot in time for Davy Jones last performance for the night.

I didn't take ONE person or display out. Close but not all the way LOL.

Chair worked great. I have a lot of practicing to do before really feeling confident. But am pleased on how well i operated it tonight at dinner and Epcot.

Thanks everyone for your congrats, support and encouragement.

Glad it worked so well!:thumbsup2

Kathy
One problem I really am having though is I can't distinguish space between my feet (when i have to put footplate up) or the footplate. I have jammed my foot, twisted jammed it so many times. I feel lucky I haven't injured or even bruised my feet. Any thoughts of how to learn to distinguish space esp when really can't see down there unless lean forward?

Also I need to raise the footplate to like enter the van as it will scrape ramp. Now maybe this will change once the rep returns to put in the bolt that was left off under footplate. But like at dinner last night to closer to table I had to raise footplate, I need something to raise it without me having to lean down to do it. i almost fell face forward reaching down to lift it up.

Oh I went to Walmart this morning I found out I can use my chair, and push a shopping cart at the same time. LOL. At least i got my shopping done this way (walmart doesn't have baskets like at Target). I was amazed it worked although of course will take practice as well.

Also was so nice to put on lap a case of bottled water, then ride into house. not having to find a way to get water in apartment, which normally is a wheeled walker with seat to hold case. today was so easy, so effortless to just ride into apartment with water in lap. :goodvibes

My DD got a new chair about a month ago. She has had to get used to it turning a little differently besides it not being 'her' yet.
She was so good with her old chair that if she had a space 2-3 inches wider than her chair, she would be able to 'wiggle' her way thru. The new chair is going to take a little longer to get used to.

Good luck to her getting use to the new chair.

Since this is my first power chair (I have had a travel power chair since Jan but really is so small and controls so differently than this q600) I have lots to learn. But I am sure I will with practice.

as i mentioned in another post one issue is distinguishing distance between my feet/footplate and whatever is near, or like pullling up to something, turning around etc.....

thanks Sue for your encouragment and support.

Good luck to her getting use to the new chair.

Since this is my first power chair (I have had a travel power chair since Jan but really is so small and controls so differently than this q600) I have lots to learn. But I am sure I will with practice.

as i mentioned in another post one issue is distinguishing distance between my feet/footplate and whatever is near, or like pullling up to something, turning around etc.....

thanks Sue for your encouragment and support.
Thanks. She's doing better driving it than I thought she might (although she has scraped the wall going down the ramp in our garage and taken a few gouges out of it.

I think the footplace part is just going to take time. My DD has always used a wheelchair (well, since she was 3 anyway), so she's used to the footplate being part of her 'body'. What she's having a little problem with is the front wheels on her old wheelchair only stuck out to the side as far as her seat did. The new front wheels extend further out to the side.

The last time DD saw a new doctor, he asked how many toes she has broken! :scared1:
He says most people with power wheelchairs break one or more sooner or later by misjudging distances and jamming into something with their feet. I'm glad to say that DD has not broken any -yet- and hope not to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter