New RCCL Family Cruise Project - Adventure OTS and Costa Maya?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

Our original family Land & Sea plan was:

A pre-cruise stay at Pelican Grand & a 2 nights cruise on the Celebrity Equinox.

We are just coming back from a Land & Sea which included a 4 nights cruise and...

We scrapped the original plans and replaced it with a 6 nights Western Caribbean cruise on the Adventure of the Seas.

Stops are Grand Cayman (we LOVE), Cozumel (we want to try Isla Pasion this time) and ... Costa Maya.

We haven't sailed with RCCL yet (just DCL and Carnival) and I am currently getting to know the Mariner OTS as we are trying RCCL for the first time in October.

We know nothing about the Adventure of the Seas, nor Costa Maya .

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

P.s.: We are 4 adults (2- 40 yo, travelling with 2 seniors).

Costa Maya's port has a rather large, winding shopping area that can be difficult for seniors to navigate. There are supposed to be shortcuts but I wasn't able to find them. My dad uses a cane and it was tough for him to get through the area.

Taxis are just outside of port gates.

When I was there the town had a huge seaweed problem. The water and beach were nice otherwise.

We went to Tropicante along the main strip. Called ahead to reserve a spot and Steve the owner (he's an American from Arizona btw) made sure we had chairs, umbrellas and tables (all no charge) for food (a la carte pricing).

I would imagine that other places along the strip are the same. I believe there is also an all inclusive day resort you can book.

Costa Maya's port has a rather large, winding shopping area that can be difficult for seniors to navigate. There are supposed to be shortcuts but I wasn't able to find them. My dad uses a cane and it was tough for him to get through the area.

Taxis are just outside of port gates.

When I was there the town had a huge seaweed problem. The water and beach were nice otherwise.

We went to Tropicante along the main strip. Called ahead to reserve a spot and Steve the owner (he's an American from Arizona btw) made sure we had chairs, umbrellas and tables (all no charge) for food (a la carte pricing).

I would imagine that other places along the strip are the same. I believe there is also an all inclusive day resort you can book.

Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out how/what Costa Maya is. I don't think we'll book an excursion there we have plans for GC and Cozumel.

I haven't gotten a feel for what it is either, to be honest. Seems like most things are there to serve the cruise ship economy, but there has to be more to it, right?

There are some ruins nearby that are probably a 2 hour drive away, and unlike Cozumel you're already on the mainland so a ferry isn't a concern. I know there are some 3rd party excursions (Native Choice seems to be the popular one) that go there but I don't know how suitable it is for seniors.

I've been to Costa Maya twice, first time we took a shuttle to the Malecon for about $2 each. We spent the day at Blue Kay and it was lovely, the water was fabulous and shallow. We got some nachos and just had a quiet beach day. The waiter called a taxi for us when we were ready to go back and it was $3 each for the ride back I think? Tropicante is quite popular as well. If you want to see ruins there are a few tours. And I believe there is an adventure park with water slides and such, though it seemed a bit pricey to me. You can always stay in the port area, there is an aviary, you can see the dolphins.

We did Chacchoben through Native Choice a few weeks ago and were very happy. The name of the town near Costa Maya is Mahahual if it helps your searches.

I haven't gotten a feel for what it is either, to be honest. Seems like most things are there to serve the cruise ship economy, but there has to be more to it, right?

There are some ruins nearby that are probably a 2 hour drive away, and unlike Cozumel you're already on the mainland so a ferry isn't a concern. I know there are some 3rd party excursions (Native Choice seems to be the popular one) that go there but I don't know how suitable it is for seniors.

Yeah, we pretty much ruled out the excursion option since we'll to one the day before and then the day after.

It sounds like there is some sort of "port pass" we can buy that gives us access to an aviary, a chocolate museum and a Tequila museum right there in the port. I THINK there is a small beach nearby. And there are a pool, shops and restaurants.

We did Chacchoben through Native Choice a few weeks ago and were very happy. The name of the town near Costa Maya is Mahahual if it helps your searches.

It's something I'd like to do but my FIL and MIL already said they would not do that kind of tour. Just to give you an example (if you have visited it)... They could barely follow the group during the Discover Atlantis tour. (They are not that old... They are just in bad shape.)

When are you going? DH booked this same cruise/itinerary in December.

For Cozumel we'll probably book Nachi Cocum..a private island all inclusive...but sounds like you have Cozumel planned already.

Not sure of other advice but Grand Cayman has beautiful beaches. We may stay on ship in Costa Maya

Looking forward to Adventure. Never been on her but have been on other Voyager class ships.

Yeah, we pretty much ruled out the excursion option since we'll to one the day before and then the day after.

It sounds like there is some sort of "port pass" we can buy that gives us access to an aviary, a chocolate museum and a Tequila museum right there in the port. I THINK there is a small beach nearby. And there are a pool, shops and restaurants.
Correct. It's basically an expanded version of what you get in Falmouth, but with a pool area and some sand pits. Seems pleasant enough, but not "beachy" enough for my kids.

Correct. It's basically an expanded version of what you get in Falmouth, but with a pool area and some sand pits. Seems pleasant enough, but not "beachy" enough for my kids.

I have never visited Falmouth but I stopped at Margaritaville in Ocho Rios.

We'll have beach days in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. A different experience in between sounds nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter