New roof being installed - who fixes what?

I am glad that it is working out, even if the roofers are crappy!!!!!

I usually HATE working with Lowe's, but when we were getting ready to replace our room, we found out that our Lowes contracted with the best crew in the county.
We liked another particular shingle a bit better, but went with an Owen's Corning from Lowes so that we could have them do the job.
They were EXCELLENT!!!!

Just curious, the dish was already there, but the important thing would be whose name is on the account. The dish company owns the actual dish.
Does the landlord include that in the rental?
I would think that it doesn't matter who had it installed. What would matter, if it were to come down to it, would be who is paying the account. It would be the terms of the account, and the name of the account-holder, if these kinds of maintenance fees would be charged.

On any of our rental units that would be a tenant improvement that is the responsibility of the tenant. I wouldn't be paying for it. Personally I would just go up and install it myself. It isn't very hard to do. However, that isn't always an option if you are not the homeowner. For example all of our leases include a clause that any tenant improvement must be first approved by the landlord and also be done by a fully licenses and insured contractor.
Just be careful with TV antennas, dishes, Ham Antennas and tenants. The U.S. Supreme Court came down pretty hard on landlords who tried to limit such installations. You have a right as a landlord to dictate how the antenna/dish are attached to your property, you really have no say if one is installed and by whom. Which is why folks like Dish now have a program for renters where they just leave the Dish behind, and move the inside equipment.

Did the roofers accidentally disable the satellite or was it necessary to complete their job? If it was an accident, I would say the roofing company should cover it. But glad to hear the landlord is willing to cover it. Considering you agreed to use the existing dish when you have the option to use whatever service you want, I think it's only fair he picks up this cost. If you opted to have DirecTV installed, I would have said its your cost.

You have a right as a landlord to dictate how the antenna/dish are attached to your property, you really have no say if one is installed
Actually you do. Landlords can limit WHERE renters can put up antennas (or dishes). They can say you can’t install on roofs, exterior walls, or any common area.

Landlords can NOT prevent a tenant from putting up a dish/antenna in an area that is solely in the renters control. For example, you can put a post in a bucket of concrete, put the dish/antenna on that post and put it on your balcony. You may not (depending on the landlord) mount the dish to the balcony railing.

I’d also assume any holes you put in walls (for mounting/running cable) would need to be repaired before moving out.

Actually you do. Landlords can limit WHERE renters can put up antennas (or dishes). They can say you can’t install on roofs, exterior walls, or any common area.

Landlords can NOT prevent a tenant from putting up a dish/antenna in an area that is solely in the renters control. For example, you can put a post in a bucket of concrete, put the dish/antenna on that post and put it on your balcony. You may not (depending on the landlord) mount the dish to the balcony railing.

I’d also assume any holes you put in walls (for mounting/running cable) would need to be repaired before moving out.
That would fall under how it is attached to the structure.

On any of our rental units that would be a tenant improvement that is the responsibility of the tenant. I wouldn't be paying for it. Personally I would just go up and install it myself. It isn't very hard to do. However, that isn't always an option if you are not the homeowner. For example all of our leases include a clause that any tenant improvement must be first approved by the landlord and also be done by a fully licenses and insured contractor.

Are you saying that if you made a claim on your insurance policy you would charge your tenant for labor or services that should be included and covered in the claim?

I have had storm damage and the estimate from our contractors included what was necessary to repair the damage. If they remove something it should be reinstalled and be included on the estimate.

Do you have good internet service? We use Direct tv now, which is their streaming service, and love it. No dish required.

Well, the work was finished up today. DH came home to a huge mess in the yard. Numerous plants broken/flattened in the front, shingle dust all over the porch, driveway & sidewalk. Two handfuls of nails have been picked up thus far. Our neighbor (who is home all day & very nosy), told us that they had the entire street blocked for over 30 minutes trying to get their trailer out of the driveway, and while they were doing that, they ran over two of their own ladders. All I can picture is the Three Stooges running around in the street trying to get out of here...lol! DH emailed the landlord to let him know all, so he can handle as he sees fit. We’re unhappy, of course, but at the end of the day, it’s really no skin off our backs, other than he hassle & cleanup. He’s the one who paid. I’m just glad the whole thing is done & over!

Now, to get the tv back up & running. To answer a few questions above...the account is in our name, so we’re ultimately responsible. The satellite was not taken down accidentally, they told the landlord they had to remove it to finish the roof, which is what prompted him to check with his insurance company & confirm they will pay it as part of his claim. I’m not sure about our internet, if we could do the Direct TV now...we do have Netflix and PrimeVideo. So, that may be an option.

Thanks to all! While we’ve rented for 5 years, we’ve never had a single issue come up with the house. Our landlord is awesome, and he keeps our rent low because we’re great tenants. But, I’m soooooo ready to buy my own house again. We are a blended family & made the decision to rent when we moved to be closer to DH’s children. We had to sell one house, couldn’t swing two mortgages & had limited knowledge of the town we moved to. Now that we’re here, we know where we want to buy, but had a few unexpected expenses that prevented a purchase. We could have done it this year, but signed one more year, to bulk up our down payment fund. 2019 = new home (hopefully!!!)

It sounds like your landlord picked a dud of a roofer, but if there was a big storm and widespread damage, it may have been the only contractor he could get in a resonable time. We had a tornado here, and they still haven't managed to get things cleaned up everywhere (and it has been two months).

Our yard looked better after the roofers left than it did before they arrived. They did 95% of the work and cleanup in one day, and then one guy came back the next day to finish the flashing around the vent and remove the last of the extra materials. I was thrilled.
::yes:: This is a very likely scenario and also likely that the insurance company has a list of preferred contractors that was given to the landlord. I know with our auto policy for example, we can use any shop we want if we pay OPP and submit for reimbursement (within the limits of the appraisal). If we use one of our carriers “preferred” places they pay direct and it saves the hassle of filing for reimbursement. I’m betting it was this situation and the reason these roofers were available when everyone else wasn't is because they’re kinda sucky!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter