• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New rules are overwhelming.

disneyfan2kids

DisneyFan3Kids now, but I can't change my name.
I'm a seasoned WDW traveler - 30+ trips in past 25 years. DVC Owner - Kids are "disney-fied", etc. We love all things WDW. I've given them virtually ALL of my vacation dollars in the past 25 years.

We haven't been since Covid - going in 3 weeks for first time in 2 years. Bought an AP just to get a 2nd trip in this year (only because I couldn't justify the price for 5 park hoppers - so it took the sting out to get the AP's.)

I'm researching the strategies/rules/etc for G, G+, LL etc. for our January trip. I can't even grasp the level of organization it would take to make this system worthwhile to me. We loved park-hopping at leisure, changing plans last minute to see something we missed, getting a few fast passes and not really "planning" things. That is clearly gone.

I'm out. These last 2 trips (too late - I bought the AP's) will be our last for a very long time. This isn't the WDW I loved. I'll most likely sell my DVC and choose to remember WDW the way it was. Before these horrific changes. Since when did going to on vacation become a full time job of planning ahead of time AND while on vacation? These rules are ridiculous. I understand that some families will still do this as a once in a lifetime trip. But Chapek and crew have lost the returning customers loyalty in most cases. I cant imagine what the Stock will do over the next 3-5 years. I've yet to meet a single WDW fan who hasn't become completely disenchanted with the "new" WDW.

I understand your frustrations, OP. Our large family has already written WDW off due to all these negative changes. When they become a company that actually cares about guest service again, instead of the almighty dollar, we might be back. We have been going to wDW since l977 and loved it! We had wonderful trips with kids/grandkids. All of that service is now gone. All the magic of a disney vacation has gone with it, including nostalgia for all things disney. It's very sad to see what it has become.
I know people who still love it as it is, and that's fine. There are many different opinions out there and I think it's great that some people still see the magic.
But for us, there are other places to see and other things to do.
I hope that disney gets new executives before the damage is done with their brand and image. Right now? It is tarnished.

I've yet to meet a single WDW fan who hasn't become completely disenchanted with the "new" WDW.

Im the opposite (sort of). I’ve yet to meet anyone who has been there in the past two years who have felt disenchanted. I know people who haven’t gone yet who are very tentative but of the people I know that have actually gone, the feelings have been pretty good.

That said, I’m sorry to read of so many people in this board who are disenchanted and I hope everyone finds new places to see that they can enjoy.

Sorry you feel that way, OP. I really hope you can relax a bit and enjoy your trip. We went in late Sept, stayed at Swan using Marriott free nights, before Genie started. I had credit for a previously cancelled trip (DVC rental), so will be staying 5 nights in May. I am reserving judgment on G+ until I try it myself. It may not even be necessary when you go. I think there was a learning curve when FP+ started also. I disagree that Disney has lost the loyalty of its repeat customers, besides a few threads like this on the main theme parks board, I think most people will adjust to the new system. I am not a die-hard stay in Disney bubble person, we certainly have not given them all our vacation $ over the years, I will probably take a year or two off after May and then be back with my new grandson.

I’d suggest doing one of the most Disney things I saw on my trip. Drawn to life at Disney Springs. It’s what WDW use to feel like when watching. Amazing show

I felt like this when planning my last trip. But you know what? It really wasn't that bad. It is what you make of it. If you go into it disenchanted and feeling like you do, well thats what you will get from it. While I wasn't happy with all the new stuff when I was figuring it out, I decided when we went I was going to have a good time regardless. And you know what? We did. I'm sure there were a ton of people who felt this exact same way about fp and whatever other changes Disney has made in the last 50 years. Change your mindset. Otherwise you certainly will be miserable. This isn't any more work or planning than it was in Jan 2020.

I think I am going on 3 years/possibly 4 since I last visited and was also a very seasoned Disney guest. I went the year it opened as a child myself, then several times with my oldest daughters. When child number 3 came along 18 years later, and my husband was firmly employed, we began our annual visits. We visited WDW from the time she was 5, until age 17.

Needless to say, we had our touring down pat. Over the years we saw old paper Fastpass become Fastpass plus. We went from off site accommodations, to only staying at Disney. I actually preferred the Value resorts. Pop became our home away fr home.

We utilized all the perks: Magical Express, resort airline check in, baggage being checked from home to our hotel room. It was so smooth and easy.

Initially booking the fast passes 60 days out seemed like such a pain. I laugh at that now!!

We toured effortlessly, only waiting in a longer line if we chose to do so.

My only regret was that once we became a well oiled team (just me & daughter number 3) my husband never got to experience the Disney bubble or the ease of FP+. He just remembers tortuous long lines and summer heat with tired little kids.

I cannot fully judge the new system, bc as I said I went pre-Covid, several years back. But I was visiting with a neighbor who is very excited, they will make their first trip next week.

I had to bite my tongue, bc this is her trip, not mine. And so much has changed. So I talked to her and kept a smile on my face and oohed and awed over her plans.

She mentioned Genie and getting up at 7am each day to make plans. Later that day, I got online & began looking up information. Surely she was mistaken???! She will be a guest at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I thought: I better let her know that as a Disney guest, she can go online and reserve her passes in advance.

Not!!! Are you kidding me?! I don’t think I could manage this new system. What kind of a vacation is that. 7am??? No magical express. She was having to call and arrange for a driver.

I am so glad we enjoyed all the wonderful trips we did. We were really spoiled rotten.

And does everyone pay for Genie??

I felt that way about the “old” system. Not the old, old system where you grabbed a paper fast pass if you wanted one, but the FP+. Oh my gosh, people setting their alarms for 6 AM 180 days in advance to get dining reservations and then 60 days before hand and even getting a ‘throwaway’ reservation to get the brand new SDMT!

Genie+ seems so much less planning to me. I mean, go to the park and select a ride that has a long line and go ride something else with a short line. No stressing about “scoring” months and months before hand. That was something so odd to me.

I felt that way about the “old” system. Not the old, old system where you grabbed a paper fast pass if you wanted one, but the FP+. Oh my gosh, people setting their alarms for 6 AM 180 days in advance to get dining reservations and then 60 days before hand and even getting a ‘throwaway’ reservation to get the brand new SDMT!

Genie+ seems so much less planning to me. I mean, go to the park and select a ride that has a long line and go ride something else with a short line. No stressing about “scoring” months and months before hand. That was something so odd to me.
It felt crazy in the planning stages, but worked like a dream once you were there. I’d almost feel guilty (not!) breezing past everyone in the standby line. There were a few occasions when even the FP line was long. I had to see it to believe it. Mostly in Frontierland for Splash Mountain. And that was during Spring Break.

I do feel nostalgic thinking about old Soarin’ (🍊) and heading straight there at breakneck speed asap when we entered Epcot, to run our tickets through the machine for a 6pm Fastpass. Something so satisfying about that.

Ahhhhh the good old days!!!!! 🤣😂🤣😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter