New Rules ... Impact??

Moms

DIS Veteran
Just curious ... we recently returned from a trip to WDW which was just a few days after the announcement of the new rules regarding (particularly) smoking and strollers. Out of curiosity we tried to be more watchful of these two "issues" and what impact the "old" rules had on us as park visitors (who do not smoke or use a stroller). Not wanting to open a can of worms but I was surprised that I did not notice any issues with smokers and the designated smoking areas ... did not notice them at all ... I'm not sure that I even ventured near one of the areas in our travels ... and we travelled around a lot!

The strollers, on the other hand were large and ubiquitous! We got stuck more than once behind a large stroller (or two) on a narrow walkway and simply had to wait until we caught a break so we could pass. I had one dropped on my foot on a bus and another rammed into me from behind while Mom consulted her phone for some bit of important information ... she was most apologetic and admitted to being distracted so I forgave her the transgression but the bruise remained for days regardless.

Has anyone there now noticed a difference? Are they actively enforcing both restrictions? Has it had a positive/negative impact on your visits?

Just another (off the cuff) note ... wonder if they will ever restrict "free range children"!

Most strollers meet the new guidelines. The big difference is the Keenz wagon/strollers which are no longer allowed. I expect any difference to be negligible.

Just curious ... we recently returned from a trip to WDW which was just a few days after the announcement of the new rules regarding (particularly) smoking and strollers. Out of curiosity we tried to be more watchful of these two "issues" and what impact the "old" rules had on us as park visitors (who do not smoke or use a stroller). Not wanting to open a can of worms but I was surprised that I did not notice any issues with smokers and the designated smoking areas ... did not notice them at all ... I'm not sure that I even ventured near one of the areas in our travels ... and we travelled around a lot!

The strollers, on the other hand were large and ubiquitous! We got stuck more than once behind a large stroller (or two) on a narrow walkway and simply had to wait until we caught a break so we could pass. I had one dropped on my foot on a bus and another rammed into me from behind while Mom consulted her phone for some bit of important information ... she was most apologetic and admitted to being distracted so I forgave her the transgression but the bruise remained for days regardless.

Has anyone there now noticed a difference? Are they actively enforcing both restrictions? Has it had a positive/negative impact on your visits?

Just another (off the cuff) note ... wonder if they will ever restrict "free range children"!

What area "free range" children?

I am so glad they finally did something about the strollers. I understand that families need these obviously but people are incredibly obnoxious with them! On the ferry at my last trip, the woman blocked up the whole area to get off the boat with her huge double stroller. They don't even care anymore if they run over your feet or hit you with them. It drives me insane. I hope they take this seriously and will continue to make rules regarding strollers.

What area "free range" children?
The ones that Mom and Dad allow to push the stroller and the kid is only four. The ones that need their hand held, but they scream when their hand is held, so they move on their own. The dawdlers, the runners, the whiners, the screamers, etc. The ones when other guests look at Mom and Dad sideways for allowing such behavior that Mom or Dad say "But WDW is for kids".

Free Range Children = Children whose parents have checked out ... usually on their phones ... and are playing "tag" in the lines, putting on "gymnastics exhibitions" on the rails/chains in the queue area, practicing their "Jedi skills" with their light sabres, warming up their bubble guns in your face, and generally wreaking havoc without any parental intervention or even acknowledgement.

Some days I wonder who all of these parents are that raise the perfect child that never screams, dwadles, runs, whines, always wants to hold hands, never does gymnastics on a chain or bar in line, calmly holds their light sabers, and only blows bubbles in the proper direction. I am sure that at any given time one of my children has done all of the above. Granted, I don't let them go without being admonished because "WDW is for kids" and I do intervene when I don't agree with their behavior. However I also think people need to lighten up a little bit on their expectations. I'd love to meet the person that has raised a child that never whines - because I'm pretty sure most do at some point. Especially when you have multiple children. They may be happy to be at WDW but disagree on whether SDD should be ridden first or TSM.

My children weren’t perfect at all. But they were taught proper behaviour in public and they knew if they didn’t follow the rules and kept on swinging from chains.....etc they were going to be taken back to the room. Or out of that line and not riding. Depending on the situation.

The smoking areas never bothered me, but the HUGE jogging stroller and wagons have gotten ridiculous! I don't mind the front/back double strollers, it's the extra wide ones that hardly fit through doors and take up entire walkways not to mention that wagons have never been allowed but people think they are (and were) getting away with something with those awful stroller wagons. My God, you aren't hiking the Andes, get a disposable umbrella stroller if they are old enough not to need a diaper bag and call it a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter