• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Rumour Suggests Space Mountain Will Undergo an Extensive Refurbishment

Wider track has nothing to do with smoothness. There's a lot of variables.
Yes. There are a lot of variables. But the width of the track is one of those variables. I don't think you can say it has "nothing" to do with smoothness.

It's such a no-win situation. You open Tron and close Space, now Tomorrowland is a hell-zoo where no one can get fastpasses. You leave both open, Space stays a bumpotron and can't get extra capacity, but you have two good rides.

Does anyone know if there are plans yet for the old Stitch space? Tomorrowland is going to be pretty intense when this all opens.

I agree that the track system in Disneyland is much smoother, but I disagree about the layout being more exciting. I really dislike the loading platform, too. They basically took theming elements from Disney World's and shoved it in the loading platform instead of having actual theming in the attraction itself.

I'm a Disneyland local and I would kill for the theming of Disney World's Space Mountain. The queue and exit area are both spectacular, and Disneyland's is awfully plain.

I'm all for a refurbishment to update the track and make it a bit less painful, but I'll be so sad if those thematic elements are taken away too.

See, I actually agree with you and overall I think WDW's SM is better. Sure, DL is a better ride, if you count only the ride, but overall it comes across is smaller and less grand. The WDW Space Mountain sets the stage with the Star Tunnel, then the large loading lounge where it splits - as a kid that was so impressive to look up and see space! Sure, I'd take soundtrack and projection enhancements all day, but overall I wouldn't want them to change to a more DL style ride at all.

Getting in and out of the ride at SM in WDW is a pain in the ***. Like others have mentioned I prefer the smoother ride at DL.

I would love to see it changed to mimic Hyperspace Mountain in Paris. That ride was fantastic! Way better than Space Mountain.

I would love to see it changed to mimic Hyperspace Mountain in Paris. That ride was fantastic! Way better than Space Mountain.
Prior to converting the Paris version to "Hyperspace Mountain" it was "Mission 2: Supernova" which was an excellent version (and my personal favorite Space Mountain) that featured awesome projections and onboard music. "Supernova" also featured the launch through the cannon (ala Jules Verne) and inversions!

Disneyland does a seasonal "Hyperspace Mountain" overlay, so it would be easy enough to have that option at WDW if they do a major refurb to make it more like the DL version.

BRING BACK THE MOVING WALKWAY!
Seriously, it was one of my favorite elements of SM.
Seriously! Now we just have the longest exit ramp ever. Last year when I went with my parents I got FPs for all of us, they didn't want to ride so I was going to use all 3 of them in a row. I didn't do it for the 3rd time purely because I didn't want to walk through that exit again.

SM is a brutal ride. Way to jerky for my liking.
I wonder if they would do away with the 2 track system and go with a single track with a vehicle 2 or 3 wide by X long. There is definitely an opportunity to increase ride capacity. Also. you're in the dark so what does it matter if your in the middle or in the back.

They are slowly retheming the land away from the older vision of old school futuristic styles. It wouldn't surprise me if they continue to make this land have a more update appeal.

isnt the track fairly new? I cant imagine they would change the layout or anything like that.
No. They did some repair work on the SM track and replaced the cars during a six month refurb in 2009. That refurb was originally rumored? to be a complete track replacement, but either the money wasn't allocated or WDW was concerned about taking SM down for the estimated 2 year replacement time. Especially with the attendance and economic issues at that time.

The previous major refurb to 2009 was in 1999, so SM is due again for a substantial refurb. I think many of us believe that the track replacement is inevitable so it becomes a question of do you just rebuild it as is, or try and construct a new ride inside. It is no surprise that the opening of Tron is tied so closely with the possibility of an extended closure. Though I still believe, barring a major operating issue, SM will remain open during the 50th celebration.

No. They did some repair work on the SM track and replaced the cars during a six month refurb in 2009. That refurb was originally rumored? to be a complete track replacement, but either the money wasn't allocated or WDW was concerned about taking SM down for the estimated 2 year replacement time. Especially with the attendance and economic issues at that time.

The previous major refurb to 2009 was in 1999, so SM is due again for a substantial refurb. I think many of us believe that the track replacement is inevitable so it becomes a question of do you just rebuild it as is, or try and construct a new ride inside. It is no surprise that the opening of Tron is tied so closely with the possibility of an extended closure. Though I still believe, barring a major operating issue, SM will remain open during the 50th celebration.
wow..that refurb is already 11 years old...where does time go?

Certainly Tron's opening will give them cushion, but it will potentially make the area even busier.

I remember there was plenty of discussion that when Flight of Passage came online that might free up some time to take Expedition everest down to fix the Yeti. I don't know that Expedition Everest ever saw a dip in ridership, as the park attendance grew because of FOP and hasn't put any less strain on EE.

Certainly Tron's opening will give them cushion, but it will potentially make the area even busier.

I remember there was plenty of discussion that when Flight of Passage came online that might free up some time to take Expedition everest down to fix the Yeti. I don't know that Expedition Everest ever saw a dip in ridership, as the park attendance grew because of FOP and hasn't put any less strain on EE.
Yeah. I don't think it's a one open, one close thing and that's a good comparison. It's why I don't think you will see SM down during the 50th. But SM has to go for a major refurb at some point. Tron doesn't replace SM for that period of time, it simply provides an option that wasn't there the last time.

"Yes, we are sorry that iconic SM is down during your visit, but we did build another thrill ride before doing it." That's about as good as you are going to get in the Theme Park industry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter