New scam with returns

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Happened a few weeks ago with Macy's at a register and I knew I was ripped off but wrote it off as a fluke, but then someone tried it on me again at a TJ Maxx this past week. This is new to me but maybe it's not new at all.

I had an item I needed to return at Macy's, it was a matching set of 2 separate items, so I went into the store and made the return in person. I was busy so I didn't look too closely but it struck me as sketchy when the cashier refused to give me a receipt insisting it would be online since that's how I bought it. I looked at my email and it wasn't there, pushed back a bit but eventually let it go and left, I shouldn't have. Days later, weeks later, months later, only one of the $60 items came back to me, with a gift card no less I had to force them to return to my card. PO'd because the cashier had the other item and was free to return it for cash in hand, which is what I suspect happened. Macy's refused to act on it to even look into it so I just chalked it up to lesson learned.

The other day, in a nearby town, I returned quite a few items and the cashier attempted to palm the receipt, insisting the money would be back on my card and I didn't need the receipt. I wasn't leaving without it this time. Now I wonder how often this goes on, people always suspect the customer but not the cashier with credit.

I worked at a place where two people got fired for processing refunds back to their own credit cards. The point of sale software was subsequently upgraded to match the last four of the cc number (the rest was truncated to avoid card number theft) and if the last four didn’t match a manager had to override it to allow the refund to go through.

I couldn’t understand how they could have been so stupid, since the customers were bound to call and complain and the info would be available in the point of sale what card the refund went to. They had been doing it for a few months, mostly for refunds handled over the phone and then telling customers to wait another billing cycle for it to show.

I was told a similar thing at a store when returning an online purchase. No printed out return receipt but I would get an email shortly. I was skeptical so I remained in the store until I got the email stating the return details. So it all worked out to be legit but I was definitely surprised by the process. It could have been hard to prove that I actually returned the item.

This is one that I've been suspecting for a while and believe that it made the local news at the end of last year. Just another way for scum to attempt to cheat both the customer and system. While I know it'snot foolproof I'm at a point of demanding receipt to show proof of return and keeping the original.

This is one that I've been suspecting for a while and believe that it made the local news at the end of last year. Just another way for scum to attempt to cheat both the customer and system. While I know it'snot foolproof I'm at a point of demanding receipt to show proof of return and keeping the original.
And if they insist you don’t need one the phrase “ may i speak to your manager” get then to print the receipt really quickly….

Happened a few weeks ago with Macy's at a register and I knew I was ripped off but wrote it off as a fluke, but then someone tried it on me again at a TJ Maxx this past week. This is new to me but maybe it's not new at all.

I had an item I needed to return at Macy's, it was a matching set of 2 separate items, so I went into the store and made the return in person. I was busy so I didn't look too closely but it struck me as sketchy when the cashier refused to give me a receipt insisting it would be online since that's how I bought it. I looked at my email and it wasn't there, pushed back a bit but eventually let it go and left, I shouldn't have. Days later, weeks later, months later, only one of the $60 items came back to me, with a gift card no less I had to force them to return to my card. PO'd because the cashier had the other item and was free to return it for cash in hand, which is what I suspect happened. Macy's refused to act on it to even look into it so I just chalked it up to lesson learned.

The other day, in a nearby town, I returned quite a few items and the cashier attempted to palm the receipt, insisting the money would be back on my card and I didn't need the receipt. I wasn't leaving without it this time. Now I wonder how often this goes on, people always suspect the customer but not the cashier with credit.
Having worked retail during seasonal times….I was always told to both print the receipt AND send it via email. That way they have both just incase.

I’d be calling Macy’s and TJ Max corporate

A long time ago, I work as a retail department store manager...

If this happens... stand your ground... ask for the manager!! There is no need for them to keep your receipt. Ask for a copy of the refund, this way you have proof of returning.

How receipt with returns normally they are credited back to the form of payment... pay with Cash you get Cash back - Pay with CC your CC should be credited... Gift Cards purchase some stores will just give you another CG, be aware sometimes it is only good for 30,60 or 90 days... sometimes stores will give you cash back on GC purchase, if its under a certain amount like 20.00 dollars other will let you apply to a store CC... Divided payment whatever the combo, they will want to refund the whole amount back to the card, yet if its under a certain amount some will give you cash back..

I was at DSW, and a lady in front of me had 14 pairs of shoes she was returning, she had purchased them all different times, trying to use packing slips as receipts, some credit card statements, different credit cards, then the DSW points, then the whole deal with discounts/coupons that were given, clearance shoes... and on and on it went... there were 3 employees trying to figure out what in the world was going on, finally a manager showed up and opened up another register, and started checking out the long line of people in the store...

This is one reason I hate to shop on line...then try to return the store... or return through the mail... omg... what a nightmare...

Macy's refused to act on it to even look into it
Don't be so sure on that one. If you made a complaint they can look into it and you'll probably never have the details but you honestly shouldn't. Often when it comes to employee misconduct they set up watchful eyes to build a case.

An employee where my mom works was just charged in the last few months with returning fake returns for cash, they set up cameras and took their time building a case. Immediate termination of an employee isn't always the best route to go.

When I used to work for my alma mater turns out the manager who hired me was embezzling money, always thought it was strange her carrying around the zip envelope of money. There must have been enough complaints to warrant looking into. Again they built a case and then took action.
Now I wonder how often this goes on, people always suspect the customer but not the cashier with credit.
It def. happens with employees but realistically customers are typically going to be the majority offenders.

I was at DSW, and a lady in front of me had 14 pairs of shoes she was returning, she had purchased them all different times, trying to use packing slips as receipts, some credit card statements, different credit cards, then the DSW points, then the whole deal with discounts/coupons that were given, clearance shoes... and on and on it went... there were 3 employees trying to figure out what in the world was going on, finally a manager showed up and opened up another register, and started checking out the long line of people in the store...

This is one reason I hate to shop on line...then try to return the store... or return through the mail... omg... what a nightmare...
I had someone (I’m trying not to dox myself but we are one of the fancier stores that sends all their clearance items to TJ Max and Marshall’s) return over $1,500 (yes you read that right) worth of merchandise some of which she purchased months prior. Some had tags and some did not. It was a nightmare and took me almost 45 minutes to complete the full return and my coworkers and I easily another hour to process.

The shop online thing is worse when it’s a niche store. I love Unique Vintage, which only has stores in the west coast, but I never do good in their clothes, only shoes and accessories. I still haven’t gotten confirmation they received my return. It’s very frustrating.

Don't be so sure on that one. If you made a complaint they can look into it and you'll probably never have the details but you honestly shouldn't. Often when it comes to employee misconduct they set up watchful eyes to build a case.

An employee where my mom works was just charged in the last few months with returning fake returns for cash, they set up cameras and took their time building a case. Immediate termination of an employee isn't always the best route to go.

When I used to work for my alma mater turns out the manager who hired me was embezzling money, always thought it was strange her carrying around the zip envelope of money. There must have been enough complaints to warrant looking into. Again they built a case and then took action.

It def. happens with employees but realistically customers are typically going to be the majority offenders.
The fake returns for cash is a big scam lately and they were targeting high end stores during the holidays. Was a scary couple of days in December at my place of employment.

Good reason to always insist on a paper receipt when doing any kind of store return, that is your proof of the transaction. I would imagine the employees who engage in these types of embezzling schemes think they are too clever to get caught. Eventually it catches up to them when enough people complain about never getting credited for some returned item. Likely the stores will investigate and determine who is behind it.

I don't often return things, but many stores will only issue a credit (not cash) good for a future purchase and/or you need to show a purchase receipt when trying to return something. I would assume this is also to avoid the scam where someone stole the item and then tried to 'return' it to get the cash it was worth. A variation of that is to buy something on sale and then try to return it a few weeks/months later attempting to get the regular (higher) price credited.

I was told a similar thing at a store when returning an online purchase. No printed out return receipt but I would get an email shortly. I was skeptical so I remained in the store until I got the email stating the return details. So it all worked out to be legit but I was definitely surprised by the process. It could have been hard to prove that I actually returned the item.

Apparently Amazon does returns this way. I returned a $90 vacuum to Whole Foods - their brick & morter store where Amazon takes returns. The clerk and I were the only ones at the desk. She scanned the vacuum and said the transaction went through, return processes. That was it. Period. I asked for the receipt and she said it would be emailed to me. I stood around and waited to make sure I got the email. NO WAY was I leaving a $90 item with no proof that I returned it. I would have grabbed back the item, asked for a manager, or pulled out my phone to record the clerk, store and vacuum and made her bring up the transaction on screen to film that.

I always make Amazon returns at Whole foods, I make so many returns, the lady and I know each other. But you're right, whole foods never gives you an Amazon receipt. But you can look on your Amazon app and tell right away that your return is in progress.

Apparently Amazon does returns this way. I returned a $90 vacuum to Whole Foods - their brick & morter store where Amazon takes returns. The clerk and I were the only ones at the desk. She scanned the vacuum and said the transaction went through, return processes. That was it. Period. I asked for the receipt and she said it would be emailed to me. I stood around and waited to make sure I got the email. NO WAY was I leaving a $90 item with no proof that I returned it. I would have grabbed back the item, asked for a manager, or pulled out my phone to record the clerk, store and vacuum and made her bring up the transaction on screen to film that.
With Amazon I always initiate the return online, then depending on where it has me return to send (which I always select free) I get a QR code. They scan the code and that's that. I get a refund whenever Amazon tracks it as being in their warehouse again. However with Khol's and UPS (the two places I've returned them to) I always get a shipping label receipt. That prints automatically at Khols IME and with UPS they asked me both times if I wanted a receipt and I told them yes.

I track the progress of return but at least I get a shipping receipt showing when I shipped the item back to Amazon.

I worked at a place where two people got fired for processing refunds back to their own credit cards. The point of sale software was subsequently upgraded to match the last four of the cc number (the rest was truncated to avoid card number theft) and if the last four didn’t match a manager had to override it to allow the refund to go through.

I couldn’t understand how they could have been so stupid, since the customers were bound to call and complain and the info would be available in the point of sale what card the refund went to. They had been doing it for a few months, mostly for refunds handled over the phone and then telling customers to wait another billing cycle for it to show.
I think this is possible because it's nearly impossible to get anyone who is even remotely familiar with US laws on the phone. Everything is so siloed, there is no cohesion at all anymore. When I called the credit card to report fraud since the card was the original purchase point AND where they refund should have but didn't appear tI spent about an hour on the phone with multiple people including "fraud dept" and they stonewalled me that what I was saying simply wasn't fraud at all. My take away was Macys credit card customer service and fraud dept, wherever they are, don't understand what fraud is in the US other than a stranger using your card:headache: I was floored and now am not really using them.

Any retail store I have worked for it was grounds for termination if you processed your own return. Even a valid one to prevent things like this happening

This is what I remember but now all a person would need is a sidekick and they split the difference. How would anyone know if the transaction never went through or if they kept half the return to themselves? There is zero record of my second item, so the casier processed one and kept the other for themselves since Macy's avoids putting return money back on the card and routinely creates gift cards without asking- which is another total tick off. A big issue in catching this is there is such a long lag with them now, often weeks and you can't get to the bottom of anything since everything takes 10 + business days

Having worked retail during seasonal times….I was always told to both print the receipt AND send it via email. That way they have both just incase.

I’d be calling Macy’s and TJ Max corporate
I did try this but kept ending up in the same black hole, these businesses simply do not want customers to land anywhere unless it's to buy or pay.

I did try to complain but it was just constant passing me off and telling me I was wrong somehow, if they seemed even remotely interested I would have felt satisfied since one transaction worked and there is plainly a video of me returning multiple items somewhere because we all know that's always recorded.

I will go by and speak to the managers, not because I think it will resolve things for me but to maybe scare the criminal into not continuing. I knew I should have dug in my heels more, at Macy's I just didn't want it to morph into a scene over nothing and since this lack of receipt thing is what happens at Whole Foods with Amazon, like others said it's normalized, I sort of dropped my guard - my bad. I did stop it at the next store though, it would be nice if we weren't always a hair away from being scammed bt this is not the world we live in :(

Last edited:
This is what I remember but now all a person would need is a sidekick and they split the difference. How would anyone know if the transaction never went through or if they kept half the return to themselves? There is zero record of my second item, so the casier processed one and kept the other for themselves since Macy's avoids putting return money back on the card and routinely creates gift cards without asking- which is another total tick off. A big issue in catching this is there is such a long lag with them now, often weeks and you can't get to the bottom of anything since everything takes 10 + business days

Granted it's been over 10 years since I worked there, but the standard procedure was to refund to the original form of payment (as long as you had a receipt, or if it was charged to the Macy's credit card we could pull it up with the card).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter