New search test feedback thread

Constructive Comment: I had to 'work backwards' on my search for the "JC Penneys free shipping" thread on the Budget Board....and I still never found it. Started out with "Penneys free shipping", then "Penneys ship", then "Penneys shipping" and ended up with a comment from the Dockers free airline thread. :confused3

But, I CAN look a post up by their maker now...which I really missed. :hippie:

I am thrilled beyond belief to have search back!!!! I hate that I have to use this hideous color scheme, but it's nice to be able to find things again. Maggie

I must be doing something wrong. I just tried searching by user name. I tried my own and it said "Sorry, no matches." So I tried 3 other users and only one would work. The other 2 said "Sorry, no matches." Even the one that did work only gave the threads started by that person, not the individual posts.

Maybe I'm going to the wrong place to do the search, because I'm not seeing the California Gold color that others mentioned. I've tried clicking on the word "Search" that has the white arrow beside it. Then I choose Advanced Search and type in the user name I'm looking for. I also tried choosing "Search Forums" in the main scrolldown menu, then choosing Advanced Search. Results were identical both ways.

What am I doing wrong? :confused3

OK, I think I answered my own question. :rolleyes1 I changed my choice of color scheme to the California Gold, and now I can search for all those user names with no problem. I must have missed the part where the search will only function if you switch to California Gold. I probably didn't read carefully enough. :o

Hooray! I'm off to enjoy the search function now. I've REALLY missed it!!

Thanks, Alex, for hanging in there to find a solution! :thumbsup2

I was able to search for and display all of my posts successfully. Three comments:

1. I did notice the heading at the top of the list of posts still says "Thread/Thread Starter" even though it is actually displaying the title of my post and my username. In other words, it is not showing the Thread title or thread-starter's username.

2. This post, that I made minutes ago, does not show up in the list.

3. If the post is part of a long thread with many pages, the first post in the thread is displayed initially. There is no indication that the search engine is still searching, but in a few seconds, you are taken to your own post in the thread. This should happen immediately, or if that's not possible, there should be some indication that you have not yet arrived at your post.

Good work and thank you.

I was able to search for and display all of my posts successfully. Two comments:

1. I did notice the heading at the top of the list of posts still says "Thread/Thread Starter" even though it is actually displaying the title of my post and my username. In other words, it is not showing the Thread title or thread-starter's username.
That is because the implementation of the search (beta) here on DisBoards is temporary. When the final search is released, both the interface (and terminology) as well as the color scheme ;) will be proper.

2. This post, that I made minutes ago, does not show up in the list.
First, it may always take some time for posts to show in the search. Hopefully short enough to not notice, in the future.
For now, the system is still in beta and is indexing. Ignore the temporal issue for now.

3. If the post is part of a long thread with many pages, the first post in the thread is displayed initially. There is no indication that the search engine is still searching, but in a few seconds, you are taken to your own post in the thread. This should happen immediately, or if that's not possible, there should be some indication that you have not yet arrived at your post.
Nothing that can be done about that. This is simply the basic behavior of the internet. When you are redirected to a specific post (in any HTML page) with an anchor (which looks like #post1231651 for example), it only "jumps" to the right place when the page is fully loaded. If you have very fast internet or if the page is small, it doesn't take much time and is not noticeable. Otherwise, it might take a bit. This has nothing to do with the search actually.

Good work and thank you.
You are welcome.
The more feedback, the better..

How come in the Disney Vacation Club Sub-Forum or in a specified forum of DVC, when I try to change it to Calif. Gold it doesn't change? It stays DVC3 color scheme.

If a forum is a sponsored forum, the color scheme remains whatever is the default for that forum/sponsor. Theme parks, transportation are similar.

"Find all posts by <username>", which had been working for a bit, has not worked for the last week or so. The search returns the message "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

"Find posts by UserName" seems to still be broken. Any ideas on when it will be working again?
I just tried to do a search for my posts from yesterday and came up with the famous "Sorry, no matches..." message :confused3 .

agnes!

We are reindexing data now, so you will gradually see the data back in the results as time passes..
Any update? I'm wondering how much time will be passing by before the data is reindexed... I still can't get the search function to work as it did a few weeks ago. :guilty:

It is still indexing, if you do a search for something common (like 'disney') and order results by thread start date you can see how far along it is - right now its up to may 6th. Every day you should see it progressing a few days until it catches up.

We have also added some additional search functions not yet available on any other forum search which I think you will all find useful. These will be available soon.

How come the "New Posts" button doesnt work? It always says "no matches." It used to show a list of threads that had new posts and the forum that it was in. That was great. Can we get that back?

How come the "New Posts" button doesnt work? It always says "no matches." It used to show a list of threads that had new posts and the forum that it was in. That was great. Can we get that back?

This is because the indexing didn't catch up yet and 'new posts' just searches for posts in the last 24 hours. When it catches up the new posts link will work fine again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter