New search test feedback thread

I actually got some results in a user name search...perhaps were on the right track. I'll keep stress testing....

travelbug's posts... http://www.disboards.com/searchbt.php?search=&order=1&user=travelbug&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1&styleid=43
Dan Murphy's posts... http://www.disboards.com/searchbt.p...er=Dan+Murphy&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1&styleid=43
agnes!'s posts... http://www.disboards.com/searchbt.php?search=&order=1&user=agnes!&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1&styleid=43
and.. of course.. Our posts... http://www.disboards.com/searchbt.p...=BoardTracker&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1&styleid=43

can of course also combine it with text search..
Dan's posts about Canada http://www.disboards.com/searchbt.p...er=Dan+Murphy&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1&styleid=43

and soon, more features like OP vs Replies, search in title only and much more..

here is a preview example of search in title only AND in OPs only, for a specific user... (searching for Dan Murphy's OPs containing the word Canada in the title only).
http://www.disboards.com/searchbt.p...phy&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1&oplimit=1&styleid=43

(Again, remember that at the moment the new search is on California gold template only)

Dan Murphy? are you having problem seeing the results or the above links work?

Anyone... any thoughts?

I clicked on this link, and also tried searching for my posts from scratch. In both cases, I got only 2 posts from 2007. The rest of page 1 was from 2003-2005. When I tried to click to bring up a second page (tried clicking on a number and also on "Next"), I got "Sorry, no matches...".

I also tried calling up Dan's posts. I got randomly selected posts between 2001 and 2007 on page 1. Again, when I tried to view another page, I got "Sorry, no matches...".

Should the posts be in order by most recent? Where are things at for being able to call up a complete list of posts, rather than just a random few?

Thanks for the update. I'll keep watching for further information on how it's going.

.......(Again, remember that at the moment the new search is on California gold template only)

Dan Murphy? are you having problem seeing the results or the above links work?.....
Hi BT.

I see them now, in CG. I did not know it was still limited to CG. Looking for more good things to come, progress is being made. :woohoo:

At least we have been told something. From all we've been told lately it appeared nothing has been going on with the search engine. I know it isn't possible to tell us every little detail of the work but at least keep us updated every once in a while without being asked. If asked give us something, not apparently ignore the questions. It is annoying that I asked nearly 20 days ago for some information but never got a response from Board Tracker or anybody in charge here.

Carrreeeful that sounded mildly sarcastic....TRUE ...but sarcastic.
Infractions are dolled out regularly here.

Hi BT.

I see them now, in CG. I did not know it was still limited to CG.

That's easy to do considering BT did not word his post well.

Another update, the search feature on the board works now.
New(er) data will start appearing in the next 36 hours.
(We will also be working on the performance of search in the coming weeks).

With how it is worded this post tells me that it works on the entire board now. You didn't say, "in California Gold", he said "on the board" which applies to the entire board in my mind.

(Again, remember that at the moment the new search is on California gold template only)

That's the problem, your previous post said the search feature on the board works now, not just in CG, where I thought it had been working anyway.

Hi,

I am not sure if I am in the right area for help. I am unable to search by poster, it always comes up with nothing found. Can someone give me a hand, or direct me.

TIA

Hi,

I am not sure if I am in the right area for help. I am unable to search by poster, it always comes up with nothing found. Can someone give me a hand, or direct me.

TIA

As mentioned by me in the previous post and a little above the search only works if you use the California Gold skin.

I clicked on this link, and also tried searching for my posts from scratch. In both cases, I got only 2 posts from 2007. The rest of page 1 was from 2003-2005. When I tried to click to bring up a second page (tried clicking on a number and also on "Next"), I got "Sorry, no matches...".
Can you please supply me with:
1. the URL of the page you got to
2. what did you get
3. what did you expect to get

That will help us look into it. (That is true for any report about search errors/queries actually)

For example, note that getting only few results might mean that in the "advanced" options, the OP limit was activated. The advanced options are carried over from one search to the other, when you "refine" searches on the results pages.. so have a look into the advanced options

I also tried calling up Dan's posts. I got randomly selected posts between 2001 and 2007 on page 1. Again, when I tried to view another page, I got "Sorry, no matches...".
We fixed the next pages links (there was a bug there).
Should work now.

Should the posts be in order by most recent? Where are things at for being able to call up a complete list of posts, rather than just a random few?
Posts are ordered by relevancy by default. Note though that at the moment the date ordering is slow beyond belief :) this will be worked on in the near future as well as other general speed enhancements

Update: travelbug: the reason why you saw few posts from 2001 at the beginning was a bug. We will be addressing it soon and it will be corrected.

What exactly does that mean, relevancy, in this regard, searching for information?

Remember that you can search for all posts by Dan Murphy that contain the word 'resort'.. in that case, relevancy has a meaning.
If you only search by author name, the relevancy has no meaning. In such case, the order of the results is likely to mean very little or make very little sense. If I wanted to see the results of all posts by an individual, in chronological (reverse) order, I would choose ordering by date.

Curious again as to why not just use the built in search feature of vbulletin? Maybe there has been a post made eons ago about it.

Curious again as to why not just use the built in search feature of vbulletin? Maybe there has been a post made eons ago about it.

My understanding is that it is because of the size of the board and speed issues. There are so many posts to search through and so many people searching it slowed the server way down so they decided to move the search to an outside provider.

Can you please supply me with:
1. the URL of the page you got to
2. what did you get
3. what did you expect to get
I went about it a little differently this time. I wanted to see if I could view all my posts starting with what I've posted as recently as yesterday. I chose to sort by thread start date and to find posts from any date. I didn't enter a key word.

I got several posts from 2001 for starters (I know that's a bug that will be fixed) and then posts from Sept. of '07. I'm not sure if it's all my posts from Sept. of '07 or just selected ones. But nothing came up from Oct. or Nov. Are more recent results available yet?

Here's the URL for the results I got.

http://www.disboards.com/searchbt.php?search=&order=0&user=travelbug&scope=4&cat=1&frm=-1

I think my mistake earlier was not changing the "relevancy" default to sort by thread start date. Now if we can get search results to include complete data, especially very recent data, we should be all set. :)

Thank you, Board Tracker.

My understanding is that it is because of the size of the board and speed issues. There are so many posts to search through and so many people searching it slowed the server way down so they decided to move the search to an outside provider.

Which is still slow and seemingly doesnt work.. Now of course I cant be sure of that, but I find it amazing there are zero posts in the photography forum having to do with 'storage' . Now maybe there arent, but sure seems suprising.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter