New Soarin Movie Might Be Coming

Do you have a link? I would be very interested in reading it. This has always seemed to me to be a no brainer. This would have been especially true 7 years ago in the middle the release of the (albeit disappointing) new movies.

Here's one link:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9951772-7.html

Given the new animated feature and series "Clone Wars," the planned live-action TV series and Lucas' desire to re-release all 6 films in 3D, I don't think there will be any shortage of reasons to update the ride. Plus, Star Wars is timeless.

It is nearly impossible for us to believe that numbers at WDW are "down", much less the numbers at Soarin'. It's impossible to get on that ride without a fastpass, and if you do not get it first thing in the morning, forget it, your not ridin' Soarin'. We have cut our trips in half because of the overflow crowds on property. I'd be thrilled to see less "bodies" at the resorts, restaurants, and especially at the parks........

Ironically, as any reasonably educated business person will tell you, the number one way to reduce demand.. is to ...

drumroll please...

Raise prices..

And everyone here just LOVED that on August 3rd. :)

Insert comment here about cake and eating it too..

Knox

I agree that the change makes more sense for Epcot than DCA. This is still a rumor and is very similar to the Star Tours rumors. I won't believe it until Disney tells us.

I don't understand why the concept of multiple rides within one isn't exploited more. That way your experience isn't always exactly the same. They did it with TOT.

When they developed Soarin' couldn't they have done several films at once?
You could alternate showing them and make some "rarer" than others. People would ride more on the off chance they would get to see one they hadn't before.

I don't think attendance is down yet... People who are vacationing now likely booked their trip in 2007 or early in 2008... The economy started really showing poor signs in the late Winter/early Spring... I think attendance may start to show signs of the economic impact in the coming months... Perhaps 2nd Quarter of FY 2009...

That said, I think soarin' won't see a new film for a few more years...

I don't understand why the concept of multiple rides within one isn't exploited more. That way your experience isn't always exactly the same. They did it with TOT.

When they developed Soarin' couldn't they have done several films at once?
You could alternate showing them and make some "rarer" than others. People would ride more on the off chance they would get to see one they hadn't before.

While this makes sense to me, the problem would arise with guests wanting to do one particular ride/movie but being unable to because the other version was running/showing. ToT is always the same ride but with a different order of things thanks to the computer rearranging the course/track/# of drops.

Putting a Global Soarin' movie in one theater and the CA version in the other, at least in Epcot, would probably have everyone booking for the Global version because most everyone has seen the CA version. Newbies may try the CA, but there would inevitably be a bottleneck.

As for the "rarer" movie idea, I like it. However, imagine waiting on a Space version of Soarin', standing in line for 90 minutes, then you get inside only to learn it's the CA version? Someone would be leaving via Orange County Police.

Just my 2 cents....as much as I love the current Soarin'....a new movie of the whole world would fit in perfect at EPCOT. But as I have told many people time and time again...if it aint broke, dont fix it!!!

While this makes sense to me, the problem would arise with guests wanting to do one particular ride/movie but being unable to because the other version was running/showing. ToT is always the same ride but with a different order of things thanks to the computer rearranging the course/track/# of drops.

Putting a Global Soarin' movie in one theater and the CA version in the other, at least in Epcot, would probably have everyone booking for the Global version because most everyone has seen the CA version. Newbies may try the CA, but there would inevitably be a bottleneck.

As for the "rarer" movie idea, I like it. However, imagine waiting on a Space version of Soarin', standing in line for 90 minutes, then you get inside only to learn it's the CA version? Someone would be leaving via Orange County Police.

Lol. To clarify what I was saying, my take on it was that you would not know which version of soarin' that you would see, it would be luck of the draw.

I don't know, when some of us said they should have done a new film or at least updated it for Epcot we were told by many that it would be expensive and a waste.

Not by you necessarily, but it's just interesting how the winds of opinion can change depending on what Disney actually does or is rumored to do.

I would think that the filiming itself would be rather expensive.....and time consuming (ever watched the Christmas parade being filmed....takes 3 days of constant retakes for a 3 hour show!). But...of course that filming would take place around the country, not at the park, so the ride wouldn't be affected.....I would imagine once the filming and editing was done it might take them a day or two to get the sights and smells properly coordinated. If it were ME doing that transition, I'd close one of the sides, get it up and running and then close the other side, reopen the new one and work on the old one. No matter when you do it, it's going to be a long long longer wait, but doing it in off season would mean that at least you'd not shut the whole ride down for a week or two, just double the lines for a while. Of course, Disney has not yet hired me to advise them on this.

I hope it's better than this one, because I would be very disappointed if they changed it and it was bad, because this one is great! They may have the line split for the new or old one too, instead of telling you which way to go

Well, of course you know that if they do change it, there will be a very long thread on DIS after it opens with people saying the new one is horrible, they ruined the whole ride....and others saying it's the best thing since Mickey Bars and Dole Whip (and then you'll get the side debate about MB and DW).

Personally, I don't like the new Tiki Room, Zazu is annoying and Iago was my least liked character in the movie, so forget in this show! But others love it. And every other ride/show that is changed has it's loyal or non-loyal following. I seriously doubt that Disney will choose not to change something because they're worried some, even half, their guests will be upset.

I love the one in California, having grown up there, I recognized a lot more than I thought I would......it seems odd to have a California based film showing in Florida. Is there a Soarin' in Paris or Tokoyo or Hong Kong? It would seem even more odd there!

I can't imagine the numbers are down, and even if they are it would be an insignificant amount. Every morning when the rope drops, 80% of everyone who showed up early to Epcot pulls a Carl Lewis right for Soarin' -- not Universe of Energy and not Mission:Space. Soarin' is easily the most popular attraction in Epcot, and for them to make any changes, while I want them, are unnecessary with regards to boosting attendance.

A global theme involving natural or man-made landmarks would be very welcome. However, I disagree with any Floridian version to match what they did in California. CA has arguably one of the most diverse terrains in the USA, with snow-capped mountains, deserts, beaches, forests, etc. Florida, God love ya, does not embody the same natural splendor or spectacle.

Soarin': Over Earth... November, 2009.

Fingers crossed.

Ooooo now THIS I really like...forget about focusing it on the local landscape, be that California or Florida.....and a global theme would certainly tie Soarin' in Epcot's Future World right into Epcot's World Showcase. Of course, the production costs will go way up if you start travelling the world to film! But, how cool would that be, to have sections for every country in WS, and then end it over Epcot instead of MK, to tie Disneyworld into the theme as well. Much as I love the final segment showing MK, and understand it's purpose for being there.....the fact is that it seems juxtaposed to the rest of the film

Wouldn't it be neat...

To have a Soarin for each country in the world showcase. Then as mentioned before schedule two per day, one in each theatre.

I'm not so sure I like the idea of Soarin over the World. So much would be left out. Of course logically Soarin' should be agriculturally based given its location in EPCOT.

I think redoing a movie for Epcot would be nice, since the theme is California. Redoing it would make it pretty accurate, maybe flying over Cinderella Castle, then over Epcot at the very end. This would make the ride seem more like you've just "landed" at Epcot. DCA really shouldn't need a new movie, the ride is great as it is! :)

I think the addition of smell and maybe a bit of mist or splash would be a good addition to Soarin' which for me is the most boring ride.

Thanks for the info! It is true that Soarin film will change and what is the title of the attraction will be Soarin around the world!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter