New stay-at-home mom-- any saving money pointers?

damo,

"no internet"???? Are you crazy??? ;)

Along the lines of what damo was saying, I also stopped drinking soda for the most part (not to save $$, but because there's so much sugar!). I ask for water in restaurants, and I drink water all day long.

Also, we have a Ross Dress-for-Less here which frequently sells designer and regular brand clothes for very good prices. We also have a Nordstrom Rack that has great prices on shoes and clothes.

Great ideas! Cindy B I'd be interested in hearing more about how you substitute for less expensive items in recipes!

I do some of the things already mentioned such as meal planning around what's on sale that week. I just started trying to grocery shop every 2 weeks. DH got a new job and we get paid every 2 weeks instead of every week. Its a real challenge! When I had to go back to the store for milk I made a real effort to not even look around because I knew I'd end up seeing something to buy! Even just barely starting this I can see we've saved money.

I buy lots of store brands. I always try the store brand first and if its not good then we'll go back to name brand. There are very few name brands we buy now.

It might be a little thing, but when I'm drying clothes that I'm going to hang up, I stop the dryer when they are still a little damp. I hang them up on the shower rod for another hour or two until they are all the way dry. When I dry heavy loads like towels I stop half way through and clean the lint out.

We try not to run the air conditioner much. We've gotten pretty used to it but when people come over sometimes they comment on how hot it is inside and we'll turn it on.

I'm happy you get to be a SAHM! I've never regretted it!

Good points already mentioned, but I'll reiterate a couple of them. I've checked out some folks' grocery carts, and probably 25% of their bill is drinks - mostly soda, kids juice boxes, etc. I only did packs of koolaid, made with 1/2 the sugar called for on the package. Don't pay for drinks if/when you go out to eat - that $1.29 iced tea cost the restaurant $0.01 to make.

Don't buy all those mini packages of snacks. Buy your big box of cookies or crackers, and divide into ziploc baggies as needed.

I agree with Cindy B - the bulk stores are not always such a bargain. I've found that their snacks and meats are less expensive, but not everything else. Check your prices carefully.

DON'T buy disposables at the grocery store! I've yet to see napkins, tp, paper towels or diapers cost less at a grocery store, or a drug store for that matter. Those are Walmart or Target items.

I've been home 5 yrs. now - never thought we'd be able to afford it for so long, but you'll adjust.

Good luck,
TxAg

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your support! It is great to know that there are other people out there who have made the decision to stay home, despite the sacrifice! My ex-colleagues are giving me a very hard time about this as they think it is very silly to forgo the income. But how else can you nurse your baby for a year, as you are supposed to, if you are working? I would actually like to stay home until my baby is 3 or 4. It is amazing how condescending people are about my choice so it is great to get support here. Thank you.

All of these suggestions are great. In addition, I think we may get a multi-folder binder and put cash in it at the beginning of the month. Each folder will contain enough for the category that the folder represents (i.e. groceries). Then when the money is gone for that category, it is gone. It is quite an adjustment to live this way (after being a yuppie for so long) but it is worth it.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I've heard the same rap about stay at home moms. I've been one for sixteen years and you know what? I've never yet met a stay at home mom who has said, "I wish I would have gone back to work."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter