New Studio should be named after Dustin

seascapemvy

Mouseketeer
Dustin was great. He was forced out by Pete's abusive behavior. The show may not exist without all of his work. Therefore the new studio should be named after him. Also, John should come out and thank Dustin for his prior work, apologize for what he had to put up with while working there and make other ammends. I know Dustin isn't asking for anything but a free WDW Vacation and some other things along with a visit on the new show would be the least The Dis could do for someone as wonderful as Dustin.

Not a day goes by where a new viewer doesn't ask: "Why is the studio named after Bob Marley", only to learn that it is named after Bob Varley. Which, of course, engenders the question: "Who is Bob Varley?" to which a perfectly safe and sane answer can be provided. If the new studio were named after Dustin, every newcomer would ask : "Who is Dustin West and why is the studio named after him?" I doubt that Dustin would appreciate his story having to be the answer to that constantly asked question. He has moved on. We should let him.

Just, no. For so many reasons:

While Dustin shared his experiences in a semi-public forum, that's very different from having his full name used as the name of the studio (which would inevitably lead to people asking "who is Dustin and why is his name on this studio?" if they weren't familiar situation).

Naming things after people is typically (not always) done to memorialize them after they pass away. Sometimes it's done when a person is still alive to commemorate some big achievement. While I agree Dustin has gone though a lot (seems like the understatement of the year), it's really not the same as an achievement

If you name the studio after Dustin to 'recognize' his trauma/experience, in a way, that is also providing recognition to Pete. There's no way to explain why Dustin's name is on the studio without also mentioning Pete. I personally do not want to give that man anymore recognition at all (including negative recognition) and I think others agree.

While Dustin's experience is horrible, he is not the only one who experienced abuse/trauma/toxic behavior at the hands of Pete. Naming the studio after Dustin sort of signifies that his is the only trauma that matters in all of this.

It is none of our places to determine what Dustin needs/wants to move on from this. We of course can add suggestions, but it's not about what we want Dustin to get as 'retribution.' Dustin gets to decide that on his own. If it were me, I would think it would mean way more to remove Pete, ensure he doesn't get any more money from this company, and work to change the culture at DIS/DUT/etc. that clearly has remnants of the toxic behavior Pete exhibited. A named studio and a free vacation don't mean a whole lot of there's no assurance that none of this will happen again.

Last edited:

Not a day goes by where a new viewer doesn't ask: "Why is the studio named after Bob Marley", only to learn that it is named after Bob Varley. Which, of course, engenders the question: "Who is Bob Varley?" to which a perfectly safe and sane answer can be provided. If the new studio were named after Dustin, every newcomer would ask : "Who is Dustin West and why is the studio named after him?" I doubt that Dustin would appreciate his story having to be the answer to that constantly asked question. He has moved on. We should let him.
I was one of those people 10+ years ago. Once I heard the story , I thought how lovely. If they want to keep Bob's name great, otherwise no need for the studio to have a name.

Dustin was great. He was forced out by Pete's abusive behavior. The show may not exist without all of his work. Therefore the new studio should be named after him. Also, John should come out and thank Dustin for his prior work, apologize for what he had to put up with while working there and make other ammends. I know Dustin isn't asking for anything but a free WDW Vacation and some other things along with a visit on the new show would be the least The Dis could do for someone as wonderful as Dustin.
I feel maybe your heart was in the right place, but yikes. Ooof.

I am cringing so hard as everything you just wrote, omg 🤦‍♂️
To memorialize Dustin’s trauma, let’s name the new studio after him as a constant reminder of this podcasts troubled past.

And let’s all pool money together to send him to Florida, despite him being a grown adult who can finance his own trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter