New Survey after Selling Points

I doubt it. It would cannibalize direct sales. I believe this is one of the reasons why they stopped ROFR the legacy resorts with minor exceptions.
I doubt that they will, either. But it is an interesting idea to kick around. The resale market for DVC contracts is pretty robust, so there is already a level of competition with direct sales via DVC. Given that, perhaps they are looking at potential commission volumes or some other twist to make jumping into the resale market worth the effort.

If you sell and it is taken in ROFR do you still have to pay broker commission?
You have to follow the exact terms of the contract you submitted to ROFR, except with Disney as the buyer. So yes that includes paying the commission.

If you agreed to cover closing costs or MFs or whatever, you’d still have to do that too.

If the resale market made money for Disney they would do it. I have always suspected Disney thought it would be too difficult to manage resale and direct sales I house together. Hence ROFR as a mechanism to keep price under control and allow for a tool that could be used to scoop deals and sell direct points to members.

Now spec renting and wild West for ROFR have brought some problems Disney seems to be ready to stop ignoring.

Should be interesting.

That’s what I thought - one question on renting, otherwise focused on selling. So what policies/enforcement might be related?
Like @AstroBlasters, I immediately thought they might be thinking about a rental crackdown—but it would be really strange to poll DVC sellers (unless they are only looking at responses of people who say they still have points or will buy more).

I hate to be the person who turns this into a “DVC 2.0” thread, but I do wonder if they might want to solicit people to sell points back to them for other reasons beyond the ROFR process— can anyone confirm if the seller survey collected a ton of personal info (age/gender/income) beyond the Disney affiliations listed? It’s possible they are just trying to build profiles of which segments of owners are most likely to turnover in the next few years (or how many people rant about Universal building more parks, or Iger being too political, or the changes to FP+, etc.)— if you think about it, selling DVC is potentially a big signal that their most devoted Disney diehards have become less enamored of the DIS. I don’t know if it will happen but over on the “proposed changes to DAS” thread, there are a lot of people promising they’ll sell all their DVC contracts if they can’t keep using DAS.

Like @AstroBlasters, I immediately thought they might be thinking about a rental crackdown—but it would be really strange to poll DVC sellers (unless they are only looking at responses of people who say they still have points or will buy more).

I hate to be the person who turns this into a “DVC 2.0” thread, but I do wonder if they might want to solicit people to sell points back to them for other reasons beyond the ROFR process— can anyone confirm if the seller survey collected a ton of personal info (age/gender/income) beyond the Disney affiliations listed? It’s possible they are just trying to build profiles of which segments of owners are most likely to turnover in the next few years (or how many people rant about Universal building more parks, or Iger being too political, or the changes to FP+, etc.)— if you think about it, selling DVC is potentially a big signal that their most devoted Disney diehards have become less enamored of the DIS. I don’t know if it will happen but over on the “proposed changes to DAS” thread, there are a lot of people promising they’ll sell all their DVC contracts if they can’t keep using DAS.

IIRC, just basic personal info that is always collected….but if I had to make a guess based on the questions, I think just an overall feel for the market trends.

Also, they asked sought whether we got out of DVC or replaced it, and how…in our case, we sold and bought more direct.

Definitely don’t think it is related to any rental activity.

I bet @lentesta would love this thread

The questions that look interesting are those around timing and behavior prior to and when making the decision.

If a common pattern emerges when people are likely to start thinking about selling, Disney may be able to identify those patterns in data as it happens.

I haven't thought about what they'd do if they think you're likely to sell. I wonder what would happen.

I guess I’m wondering,

Cruise lines are celebrating record bookings for 2024-25
Hilton and Marriott are reporting record vacation travel bookings

and yet

Disney is having trouble filling rooms
DVC resale prices are falling

And I wonder if this is just another way to try to gauge dissatisfaction and disconnect. Idk. They SHOULD always be asking people why they sold quite frankly.

I guess I’m wondering,

Cruise lines are celebrating record bookings for 2024-25
Hilton and Marriott are reporting record vacation travel bookings

and yet

Disney is having trouble filling rooms
DVC resale prices are falling

And I wonder if this is just another way to try to gauge dissatisfaction and disconnect. Idk. They SHOULD always be asking people why they sold quite frankly.
Disney is more expensive than almost all of the other options you mention, especially if you have 4-6 people in your family v 2-3. From what I’m seeing, DCL is *not* having trouble filling staterooms and their pricing is often 2-3x of a Princess or RCL alternative. 😵‍💫

I think Disney is suffering because they are pricing out the least wealthy segment of their fans, and then if you do try to go to WDW without paying the up charge for G+ and ILL, you’ll notice the actual experience is much worse than pre-2020.

Disney has moved everything they do to a very premium offering... It might have been a good strategy pre-pandemic to be honest, but post-pandemic I question how viable the strategy will be.

This is why I question if DVC will move into moderates more, and I think if they do it will only be because they can't fill the rooms they have...

Disney has moved everything they do to a very premium offering... It might have been a good strategy pre-pandemic to be honest, but post-pandemic I question how viable the strategy will be.

This is why I question if DVC will move into moderates more, and I think if they do it will only be because they can't fill the rooms they have...
You mean the $400-$500/night “moderates”? Lol (but dark humor, not light humor).

Disney is more expensive than almost all of the other options you mention, especially if you have 4-6 people in your family v 2-3. From what I’m seeing, DCL is *not* having trouble filling staterooms and their pricing is often 2-3x of a Princess or RCL alternative. 😵‍💫

I think Disney is suffering because they are pricing out the least wealthy segment of their fans, and then if you do try to go to WDW without paying the up charge for G+ and ILL, you’ll notice the actual experience is much worse than pre-2020.
Is Disney suffering? I’m guessing this is more of a WDW analysis because DLand and Aulani seem to be doing great. Now if they can just get The Mansion and Splash open again….

Is Disney suffering? I’m guessing this is more of a WDW analysis because DLand and Aulani seem to be doing great. Now if they can just get The Mansion and Splash open again….
I didn’t mean to concede they were suffering, but I assume bookings are softer at WDW or we wouldn’t see return of free dining plans.

I didn’t mean to concede they were suffering, but I assume bookings are softer at WDW or we wouldn’t see return of free dining plans.
Very logical. Although I hope they don’t extend the “free” dining to the nicer dining establishments so that those locations can maintain the quality standards by the time we get there!

Very logical. Although I hope they don’t extend the “free” dining to the nicer dining establishments so that those locations can maintain the quality standards by the time we get there!
The free dining plan is available to use at every WDW signature restaurant except V&A’s

Not really free as it used to come with undiscounted rooms, some times a large discount will more than offset this and it only really works well if at least 4 people staying in one room

The free dining plan is available to use at every WDW signature restaurant except V&A’s

Not really free as it used to come with undiscounted rooms, some times a large discount will more than offset this and it only really works well if at least 4 people staying in one room
Is it true that the free dining plan is available at Monsieur Paul?

I assume free dining plan requires not staying on DVC points and have never looked into it.

Oh my bad, yes that one is too fancy for free dining people too haha
@AstroBlasters — can’t go wrong with Monsieur Paul and V&A’s for legit culinary extravagance, but a lot of the less fancy restaurants are a lot of fun if you focus on ambiance and cultural exchange more than haute cuisine (Biergarten, Space 220, Shiki-Sai and TeppenEdo are all big hits in our family….Magic Kingdom dining options are not so hot…. We should discuss more as you approach 90 days out).

@AstroBlasters — can’t go wrong with Monsieur Paul and V&A’s for legit culinary extravagance, but a lot of the less fancy restaurants are a lot of fun if you focus on ambiance and cultural exchange more than haute cuisine (Biergarten, Space 220, Shiki-Sai and TeppenEdo are all big hits in our family….Magic Kingdom dining options are not so hot…. We should discuss more as you approach 90 days out).
I though Shiki-Sai was really good too

aulani is also discounting rooms 30 percent at least. Not sure if DL is having to run promotions. Disney doesn't run promotions any more than they have to, and it feels to me that they have been getting more generous.

Now, on sea, DCL keeps charging more and more... despite supply increasing... we will see where that goes ultimately...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter