New to DAS

Elpmet

Earning My Ears
Hi,

I'm traveling to Disney World with my family in early 2024. The eldest child in our group (12) and myself both have ADHD. Would DAS be something we could avail of? What does it entail? Will other people be aware that we are using that service or is it discrete? Is it free or something we would have to pay for?

If you've used DAS, I would love to know if it was a help to you or not.

Thank you! :)

What difficulties do you have with waiting in attraction lines? You don't have to answer that here, but that is what you will be asked by cast members when you seek out this accommodation. You have to have a marked difficultly that you can explain why you need an alternate place to wait out attraction lines.

You have to be quite specific in discussing what happens to you or your child when you wait in lines and how it impacts your ability to enjoy your day in the park.

They do not want to hear a diagnosis. They will tell you that upfront. They need to understand your needs.

Das allows you to wait outside the line for the estimated length of the standby line. When you're time is up you come back and enter through the lightning lane. When you enter the line you have to scan in. Most people not using Das the scanner turns green, people using Das it turns blue. So if someone were watching you scan in they would know you're using Das, but no one is paying attention to that. It is free. Whether or not it would help you depends on what your needs related to waiting in line are. When you apply for Das you have to explain the difficulties standing in line would cause, then it's up to the cast member to determine if you qualify

What are your needs? Don't get it if you don't need it just cause you have a diagnosis. (My friend has ADHD and doesn't need DAS)

Exactly.

I have 2 sons with autism. One also has ADHD. That son with ADHD doesn't need a DAS. The other one does.

I think it just depends. We have a family friend whose child has sensory issues along with their ADHD, and when their sensory needs aren't being met, it triggers their ADHD emotional dysregulation which leads to hour long meltdowns. They can either be over stimulated by the line, or under stimulated by being stuck in a confined space and not able to move their body, etc. This is a very young child though.

I know a lot of kids and adults with ADHD who have sensory issues-maybe some of them have an undiagnosed comorbidity but most of them have told me they see it as part of their ADHD 🤷‍♀️

That’s exactly why it depends on an individual’s needs and not the diagnosis. Some people with ADHD need accommodations while others do not. Some people with diabetes need accommodations while others do not.
Agreed, but it felt the other commenters were implying ADHD on the whole doesn't/shouldn't qualify.

Agreed, but it felt the other commenters were implying ADHD on the whole doesn't/shouldn't qualify.

I didn't imply that at all. I said *MY* son with ADHD doesn't need a DAS. He also has autism but is actually hyposensitive to stimuli (he's a sensory seeker) so he actually thrives off chaotic, loud, crowded environments. It doesn't phase him at all.

My other son is the opposite and is hypersensitive to stimuli. This is why he needs a DAS.

2 kids, one same diagnosis, different needs.

Hi,

I'm traveling to Disney World with my family in early 2024. The eldest child in our group (12) and myself both have ADHD. Would DAS be something we could avail of? What does it entail? Will other people be aware that we are using that service or is it discrete? Is it free or something we would have to pay for?

If you've used DAS, I would love to know if it was a help to you or not.

Thank you! :)
This past trip I felt a lot more people knew I was using something beyond the Genie+ and ILL access, as most of the time the CMs at the tap-styles would make me wait after I tapped in blue. The people behind my group knew something was different, especially when my niece would rush ahead and tap in first before I could get there. If you use it during a time that LL is not available, it's a lot more obvious - I got called out on being in the LL queue at FOP back during the COVID times when FP+ wasn't an option and before LL was a thing. That was a bit stressful.

This past trip I felt a lot more people knew I was using something beyond the Genie+ and ILL access, as most of the time the CMs at the tap-styles would make me wait after I tapped in blue. The people behind my group knew something was different, especially when my niece would rush ahead and tap in first before I could get there. If you use it during a time that LL is not available, it's a lot more obvious - I got called out on being in the LL queue at FOP back during the COVID times when FP+ wasn't an option and before LL was a thing. That was a bit stressful.
Well they have to. Blue is not clearance to enter a ride. When a DAS taps in the CM has to look at the screen, see the photo, look for the DAS user & confirm in the system that the DAS user is using it. Some CMs will clear it super fast but often it can take quick minute.

Well they have to. Blue is not clearance to enter a ride. When a DAS taps in the CM has to look at the screen, see the photo, look for the DAS user & confirm in the system that the DAS user is using it. Some CMs will clear it super fast but often it can take quick minute.
A longer than usual wait - it usually would be "Hi DisneyOma, go on through". There were quite a few times where it flashed blue and I stood there and waited 5-10 seconds for the CM to actually look at the screen. I know that doesn't seem like a long time, but count to ten, and imagine a bunch of other people behind you waiting to get in. If my niece rushed and didn't wait for me to scan first, it took even longer because they had to clear her blue and have me scan and then she had to scan again. That's when people behind start to wonder what the heck is wrong with us :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter