• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New to Disney Cruise Line

jadelsp

Mouseketeer
Looking at booking a cruise to Alaska and found a great rate on the Guarantee interior room is it worth it or would I be better off spending more for OV or Verandah? I have cruised to Mexico on another line and had a balcony room did not really use it. The guaranteed interior rate is very good and is pushing me to book but I do not want to regret it. Any advice or tips appreciated

Cruising to Alaska is a different ballgame than a Caribbean/Mexico cruise. Having a private verandah (or window) May be worth it as you sail past the glaciers. If you can swing it, I would go with the verandah. If not, there are plenty of public viewing areas.

We have never done Alaska, and I can see how that would be a different experience than others.
That being said, we've only ever booked inside on 6 cruises (and one in a few weeks) and are fine with saving the money and spending time in public areas. We've been upgraded to OV and once to Verandah (a huge one!) and it didn't really change where we spent the majority of our time.

We did a deck 2 Oceanview for Alaska, but mainly due to claustrophobia that is helped by just being able to look outside. We didn't spend much time in our room, other than sleeping, etc. We were either looking at the scenery from deck 4 promenade (with the loungers!) or doing an activity!

Five cruises to AK (only 1 in Disney) - once in a Verandah. Ships have enough outside space that you can take it in. But those who love sitting on a Verandah really like it in AK. The money is wasted when I have one. I want to be where the people are.

Someone else must have seen those same rates and asked a related question;
the best advice they were given is to price airfare and hotels. And be willing to forgo any “must do” activities If you can’t book them. (If you can’t pre-book excursions, there should be vendors in each port hoping to fill up their excursions). We picked up a helicopter trip when we finished our train excursion midday in Skagway.

Airfare may take a big bite out of that difference between inside and verandah. But it may be the best price, overall, than you might see in years.

Most airlines have a 24-hour clause that allows you to cancel for a refund without penalty. But that cheap Disney cruisefare is pay now and can’t cancel.

This has been so helpful. Thank you I did see other threads after I posted so thank you for responding here as well. I am fairly close to the departure port so airfare is not a concern. I have heard for Alaska you want the verandah but I wanted to get some feedback. I also like to be where the people are so maybe I will bite the bullet and give it a shot. Thank you again for all the responses.

This has been so helpful. Thank you I did see other threads after I posted so thank you for responding here as well. I am fairly close to the departure port so airfare is not a concern. I have heard for Alaska you want the verandah but I wanted to get some feedback. I also like to be where the people are so maybe I will bite the bullet and give it a shot. Thank you again for all the responses.
I think that's our thing, we want to be where people are. So, we'd rather be out on the public decks more often anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter