• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New to Magic Bands

DisneyTravelers2008

Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)
We have not been to WDW sine the Magic Band era started. At first I heard lots of horror stories about problems with fast passes, people not being able to open the hotel room door, etc....Has all that been resolved? Am I going to love using a Magic Band? It sounds easy enough....as long as it works....

There are still plenty of reports of problems with MBs not working properly, but the frequency has decreased. On our last trip we had several problems with one or the other of us not being able to open the resort security gate or our room door or to charge purchases to our room. Each occurrence required a very annoying trip to the front desk or Guest Relations. But not everyone has the same experience. Just wish upon a star, hope for a pixie dusted MB, and hope for the best.

In two resort trips (room, tickets/FP, dining plan, charging) and my college program (tickets/FP only for 4 months) and something like 6 MB I've never had an issue.

We have not been to WDW sine the Magic Band era started. At first I heard lots of horror stories about problems with fast passes, people not being able to open the hotel room door, etc....Has all that been resolved? Am I going to love using a Magic Band? It sounds easy enough....as long as it works....

Been on the Magic Band for two trips now with no problems whatsoever. It's frighteningly convenient and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Just be patient until you get used to it. Best of luck! Oh and if you attach your credit card to it for purchasing, keep track of your spending, otherwise the "bill" at the end can be pretty eye popping.

Been on the Magic Band for two trips now with no problems whatsoever. It's frighteningly convenient and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Just be patient until you get used to it. Best of luck! Oh and if you attach your credit card to it for purchasing, keep track of your spending, otherwise the "bill" at the end can be pretty eye popping.

Ha! We feel the same. My DH thinks MBs are the greatest invention EVER.

Three people in our party, five nights, all meals at Disney and all purchases made with the MBs. No problems at all.

We had them for our Thanksgiving 2015 trip (8 days) and had no issues (other than trying to get the angle of the band to match with the sensor.) We had DDP, no issues there. We were at the Fort so no real issues there. I refuse to allow charges or put a credit card on file with the MB for the reason that others pointed out. It's frighteningly convenient and easy to use once you get the hang of it. I don't want a surprise bill at the end. I'd rather keep track with my CASH or on occasion actually whipping out the CC to pay.

I have heard others "Horror" stories and complaints, but we just didn't have them. Maybe we had extra pixie dust or maybe we didn't have these huge expectations for them. As always, your mileage may vary.

Used them for the first time this past summer. I was apprehensive also.....we had no issues and loved them!

The worst part of magic bands for me is waiting in line for another FP. Yes, you get to plan out your first three FP for that day but once those get used up, you have to wait in yet another line just to get one more FP. I really hope they fix this soon.

Used them for the first time this past summer. I was apprehensive also.....we had no issues and loved them!
we got word our MB's were in the mail. Do we need to connect them to our Disney Experience before we go on our trip? How hard is that? Thank you!

we got word our MB's were in the mail. Do we need to connect them to our Disney Experience before we go on our trip? How hard is that? Thank you!

Nope. Should be automatically connected in the app since the app is just an extension of the website. The bands and their IDs should be visible on the website. In fact, you should have already done fast pass selections and those should be visible in the app now in your itinerary. The magicband ID is connected to your account. When you tap it at any touchpoint, only the ID is transmitted to the servers which look up your account and verifies use of purchase, fastpass, or door key.

You're gonna have so much fun... enjoy!

We had issues our very first trip, but have rrn a bunch of times (4 or 5) since with no issuea at all. I love them.

If I decide to buy a magic band (because I love stitch and there's a stitch magic band) how difficult is it to associate it with my account? I'm already going to have the one disney sends to me.

If I decide to buy a magic band (because I love stitch and there's a stitch magic band) how difficult is it to associate it with my account? I'm already going to have the one disney sends to me.

I believe if using the retail kiosk in the park, you use your existing magicband there to automatically link to your account. Otherwise, there is supposed to be an option to link it manually by logging into the full website and entering the band's I'D number.

if you buy a Magic band in park the CM will link it for you this is what I have been told

The worst part of magic bands for me is waiting in line for another FP. Yes, you get to plan out your first three FP for that day but once those get used up, you have to wait in yet another line just to get one more FP. I really hope they fix this soon.
I think you can do the Fast Passes (after the initial 3) with the MDE as well. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong though. I do believe, however, on our trip in November/December 2014, we were able to do just that. We didn't often need to get a 4th FP, but when we did, (only twice I think) we NEVER went to a Kiosk.

I think you can do the Fast Passes (after the initial 3) with the MDE as well. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong though. I do believe, however, on our trip in November/December 2014, we were able to do just that. We didn't often need to get a 4th FP, but when we did, (only twice I think) we NEVER went to a Kiosk.

As far as I know, you have to go to a kiosk. You can change it on MDE, but you have to go to a kiosk to book it. And actually, I have heard it recommended that you just pick anything for your 4th on the kiosk, then look for something better on MDE.

Nope. Should be automatically connected in the app since the app is just an extension of the website. The bands and their IDs should be visible on the website. In fact, you should have already done fast pass selections and those should be visible in the app now in your itinerary. The magicband ID is connected to your account. When you tap it at any touchpoint, only the ID is transmitted to the servers which look up your account and verifies use of purchase, fastpass, or door key.

You're gonna have so much fun... enjoy!
Hi its me again. Thank you for your help! Is there a way to check the MB's or do they do that when we check in at our resort? How do I know its all loaded on it? Thank you again

You should be able to show that things are "Linked" (aka Loaded) in the MDE app (or the full website)

Hi its me again. Thank you for your help! Is there a way to check the MB's or do they do that when we check in at our resort? How do I know its all loaded on it? Thank you again

When you check in at your hotel, the CM will be able to tell you if all your tickets, hoppers or dining plan are associated. (You should also be able to see everything on the MDE app too.) Whether you attach a credit card for convenience purchases or not, they will make you enter a PIN so figure one out now. Don't be like my first time hem-hawing around because I couldn't think of one. LOL If using Magical Express, you will check in at the airport with them so be sure to carry them on the plane. Don't pack them in your checked luggage. If driving, the guard at your resort will want to scan it when pulling in, so don't pack them in the trunk either. (I usually just wear mine while traveling.)

Hope this helps. Have a magical time. I leave for The World in a few weeks...praying for good weather!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter