• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New to running, interested in doing a Disney Running event

Mousefan mom

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I am brand new to running, and interested in training for a Disney running event. Not a full marathon, but more like a 5K. I'd like to do it with my husband (also new to running) as it would give us something to work toward. I'm hearing that everything is already sold out. Is there any other smaller scale Disney run things? How do you find out what the options are?

Visit RunDisney.com to find all the race weekends. There are race weekends in January, February, April, May, September, and November. They also have races in both Disneyland and Walt Disney world. You would need to find out which weekend works best for you and then work from there.

The RunDisney site posts training plans for 10Ks, half marathons, and full marathons for both new and experienced runners. I'm new to running, and went from couch to Marathon last year in 6 months using the Jeff Galloway program on the site. Other posters here will give you a variety of training ideas and programs.

As far as the RunDisney races, they're awesome, crowded, expensive, and awesome. I'm running the Pluto Challenge this coming January (5K and marathon), but frankly am just doing the 5K because my wife and daughter are in it and for the Pluto medal - everyone already does the equivalent of a Disney 5K everytime they visit WDW. If you and your husband want to work towards a really cool and unique Disney running experience, I would recommend one of the Disney half marathons. And by working towards it, I mean not only following a training plan, but also running a 10K race sufficiently in advance so that you can post a "Proof of Time" (really, any time will do) and qualify for a decent starting corral. The next WDW set of races that you can directly sign up for without using a travel or charity partner will be the Star Wars Darkside races (5K, 10K, Half, and Challenge) coming in April 2017, with registration opening (and likely closing) on August 9. Disneyland's races have a bit more availability.

Of course, you can still sign up for this coming January's Disney Marathon!

From a first timer who went from non-running to the marathon this past January, you will love it. The race itself was great, the other runners I met were amazing, it was a great time. Use the training plans, even if you don't follow them religiously, you will be able to at least keep yourself focused on the distances you should be doing. I'm now doing the 10K and Half Marathon at Disneyland to get my Coast to Coast medal and if you do choose Disneyland, the 10k course is really amazing (it's what convinced me to do the challenge instead of just the Half). Good luck to you!

We started with a 5k too and that's how the addiction started. We have now done all of the races except WDW Marathon Weekend but my goal is to do the Marathon on the 25th anniversary. Races do not completely sellout like they did before but keep in mind the 5k and 10k bibs do sellout and they usually go pretty quickly. So if you are an AP or DVC member, try for the early registration or be on your computer right when registration opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter