New to this board tho my dd has been on my question is first time driving to WDW From Ch

slickorick

Earning My Ears
New to this board tho my dd has been on. My question is first time driving to WDW From Chicago, leaving early AM and would appreciate any info as where to stop overnite before getting to destination as I would like to make an early reservation somewhere inbetween any help would be appreciated.

New to this board tho my dd has been on. My question is first time driving to WDW From Chicago, leaving early AM and would appreciate any info as where to stop overnite before getting to destination as I would like to make an early reservation somewhere inbetween any help would be appreciated.

You might have better luck asking this question on the Transportation board. In particular there is a thread for people who make 2000+ mile round trips which you might find useful. I'll post the link here.

"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

We are considering driving from the Indianapolis area to Orlando and I'm already tired. Haha

We are considering driving from the Indianapolis area to Orlando and I'm already tired. Haha
Remember to avoid large metro areas during rush hour; refill your gas tank during daylight hours; and, of course, drive safely!

All the best! :thumbsup2

Ocala is a great place to stay overnight and is only about an hour away from Orlando. But i'm not sure if you will make it that far from Chicago.

If you want a halfway-ish point, maybe stop in Chattanooga.
Then it is about 8 hours to WDW.
From Chicago to Chattanooga is about 9 hours.

And if you leave Chicago early and have time to do some things in Chattanooga, all the better!
Chattanooga is so beautiful!

You can “See Rock City”, or go to Ruby Falls.
My son went to UTC in Chattanooga and I fell in love with that city.

Have driven with family since the 80s from Virginia. Won’t make specific hotels… but great stops with things to do and get yourself out of the car once you get to 95 are Dillon NC/south of the border. Savanah GA, fruit stand gift shop once you cross into FL (you will see it), Saint Augustine FL.
This all depends on your idea of a road trip of course. But even if I stayed overnight on a crunch ride and just wanted a quick breakfast on the way out I would pick these places over others.
From VA to Orlando.. my family has done it overnight many times but I do not recommend that. 1 night minimum 2 nights are way better.

Also sorry to say this but maybe just skip Jacksonville FL if it’s a budget hotel. Some can be pretty yikes. Like the worst imaginable. Has been that way for a long time.

Have driven with family since the 80s from Virginia. Won’t make specific hotels… but great stops with things to do and get yourself out of the car once you get to 95 are Dillon NC/south of the border. Savanah GA, fruit stand gift shop once you cross into FL (you will see it), Saint Augustine FL.
This all depends on your idea of a road trip of course. But even if I stayed overnight on a crunch ride and just wanted a quick breakfast on the way out I would pick these places over others.
From VA to Orlando.. my family has done it overnight many times but I do not recommend that. 1 night minimum 2 nights are way better.

Also sorry to say this but maybe just skip Jacksonville FL if it’s a budget hotel. Some can be pretty yikes. Like the worst imaginable. Has been that way for a long time.
Unless they decide to do an east coast beach visit, From chicago, they'll be coming in 75, not 95 so thankfully they'll miss the lovely hotels in Jax lol Most of their trip will be coming in via north central FL.

I would take some time and look at google maps and decide based on when you leave CHI, how long do you want/need to drive to get to your first overnight. If you need additional daytime stops, plan those out too. If you want to longer, pick places that have something to see. If it's 17-18 hours from CHI to ORL, I'd do one overnight only and plan to drive 8-9 hours each day. Depart early around 6am, be off the road by dinner, sleep and do it again the next day. What ever you do avoid driving through Atlanta during the hours of 2pm-7pm if you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter