New to this message area. Leaving Sunday. Nervous!!!!

anewvance

<font color=red>Who needs a birthday for birthday
Hello. We are visiting Disney World on Sunday. We've been to Disney tons of times but this will be my first visit as a DisABLED sort of person. I am looking into getting a ECV rented for myself. I have a hyerniated disk, spinal degeration, arthritis in my back and sciatica in my leg. In the past I have had bad days and good days. I just got through with 8 weeks of physical therepy but seem to be only worse. I have been in alot of pain the past week and am getting quite worried with our upcoming trip. We can not cancel, our hotel room is already paid through a woman we rented points from who had to borrow from her next years points. And our season passes are not valid in June and July anyway. SOOOO, it looks like pain or no pain we are headed to Disney. If I rent a scooter, I plan on trying to stand in some lines since I can stand, but not for long and in one place for long. So I just found out about the GAC and was wondering if they would issue me one JUST for the idea of not having to climb any stairs in the pavilions, like special seating and stuff? I am just SOOOO worried.

Don't worry, be happy. :) Are you renting a scooter from an outside company so you will have it while you are at the resort and Downtown Disney? :) If you are in pain, you will definitely need to pace yourself and take very special care not to overdo it. Be good to yourself!

I use the GAC to avoid stairs when my arthritis is flaring, that is not a problem. There are some benches in the special accessible seating areas that you can use if you are walking in.

There is a section about the GAC in the disABILITIES FAQ - just click on the link in my signature.

Many of the lines are mainstreamed lines, meaning that you can take the scooter in while you are in line, so there is absolutely no point in straining yourself or causing yourself pain if that opportunity is open to you. But of course, getting up and walking around will keep you from getting stiff and sore.

Welcome. You will do fine.
Here are the places that DIS posters have reported renting from:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

As teri mentioned, you will be able to bring an eccv into most lines. I would suggest you do that rather than trying to walk in lines. For many rides, the regular exit is not in the same place as the entrance. If you leave the ecv at the entrance and walk in line (even if you get a GAC), you might find that it's quite a long way from the exit to where you left your ecv. Some of the exits (especially at the Studio) are on a totally different side of the building, which disorients some people. If you take the ecv in lines, you won't need a GAC.
A bette option to leaving the ecv outside would be stores and restaurants. They tend to be a little tight on space. Especially if you are a new ecv driver, it will be easier to drive it outside than to try to drive it inside where you have to worry about making it thru tight spaces and avoiding hitting things.

Thanks so much for your replies. I went ahead and rented from Walker mobility. They will deliever it to our hotel the night before we arrive in the morning no charge and let me keep it through Thursday night and not charge me into Wednesday morning. :-) This will certainly be interesting....that's for sure!

I rented a ecv from walker for my trip this past week and would be ahappy to answer any wuestions you might have.

Hi, actually I do have ONE quick and probably stupid question. The lady on the phone said that will be $120. Does that mean it's $120 flat or is there tax? There are no deposits you have to leave are there? I only ask because i am using a totally different credit card that I am "funding" for this payment on Friday. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter